BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Most cities now are updating their public transport system, in my city I saw a new fancy bus, but I could¨nt tell which was the rear or the front, and when stationary , in which direction it was heading. Is the bus heading in the direction A or B ?

Confusingly there are two answers , one for the U.K. and one for the rest of the world , state which in the answer.

Quote : "Who´s this `rest of the world´? " G.W.Bush

13 answers to this question

In the uk, they used to say "you wait ages for a bus then two come along at once."

Now they say "two come along stuck together"

Driver is usually at the front?????

Number of bus is at front rear and side at the back ( kerb side)

Most cities now are updating their public transport system, in my city I saw a new fancy bus, but I could¨nt tell which was the rear or the front, and when stationary , in which direction it was heading. Is the bus heading in the direction A or B ?

Confusingly there are two answers , one for the U.K. and one for the rest of the world , state which in the answer.

Simply look at which lane it is in.

As for A or B.....

The doors are on the other side (those lines in the center doesn't look like a door), so you are viewing it from across the street.

In the U.K., they drive on the left side of the road, so they are going in direction B.

In the rest of the world, they drive on the right side of the road, so the bus is going in direction A.

Edited by EventHorizon

This answer is, of course, assuming you draw your pictures accurately.

In the direction of A, for everyone else in the world (B for UK). That's because I don't see any doors, which means the doors must be on the other side of the bus.

Let's say I'm looking at the bus in your picture from the sidewalk. Since the door is not on my side, it must be on the other side of the road. In the UK (and St John, VI), it would be heading right. Everywhere else it would be heading left.

Damn, you missed that one, now you´ve got to wait for another one.

Don't do public transport, I drive a Jag XK8 and hate buses, when I'm not being chauffeured. B))

UK is not the only one to drive on left, bus lane is on the right on some motorways in UK now, but that don't stop in the fast lane to pick up passengers! So lets look at the doors. that should help you and your poor plebby friends work out where the bus is going! :P

Take me home James and go by Harrods and pop in for a 'Bolly' there's a good chap!

Also have been driving since before public transport, my licence is dated with Roman numerals. :D

Simply look at which lane it is in.

As for A or B.....

The doors are on the other side (those lines in the center doesn't look like a door), so you are viewing it from across the street.

In the U.K., they drive on the left side of the road, so they are going in direction B.

In the rest of the world, they drive on the right side of the road, so the bus is going in direction A.

FROM WHEN REST OF THE WORLD EXCEPT UK STARTED DRIVING ON THE RIGHT SIDE? UNLESS YOU COSIDER UNCLE SAM TO BE THE REST OF THE WORLD.

FROM WHEN REST OF THE WORLD EXCEPT UK STARTED DRIVING ON THE RIGHT SIDE? UNLESS YOU COSIDER UNCLE SAM TO BE THE REST OF THE WORLD.

Most vehicles are RIGHT hand drive in the UK, exceptions are imports and a few trucks/riggs that are for street maintenace where kerb side view and travel are important. Vehicle should travel on the LEFT in the UK http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/dri...htm#leftdriving

will help with more info.

Edited by Lost in space

I have to agree with Storm - "one for the UK and one for the rest of the world"??? Lost in space's link is useful - the UK is not the only place that drives on the left hand side.

Quite ironic given the Bush quote...

ok. if you drive , when sober, in the U.K, you drive on the left hand side of the road . THe bus you are looking at as has beeñ pointed out, has no doors, and is on the opposite side of the road therefore the doors are on the other side of the bus as in any country (except Sweden in the 1970´s I think-why?) and in the U.k. the bus would therefore be travelling in the "B" direction. However if you were driving in the bush......

"Oi say mate" says the man from the Emerald Isles, "Oi´ve just arrived on these shores , and oi´m a little confused, cud ya tell me please , `Which is t´other side of t`road´? .

"Well certainly sir" I replied, " It is in fact over there " pointing across the road.

"What !" he retorts, "Where that man is waiting for t´bus ?"

"Yes ", I affirmed.

"Well t´bastard !...He told me it was this side!"

I get the thing about where the doors are, but I'm really suprised that people can't see the point about the UK versus the "rest of the world".

Let's try putting it this way... what would the answer be if you were in Australia? Or New Zealand? South Africa? India? Japan? Should I go on?