BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Write Numbers

Write Numbers - Back to the Geometry Puzzles

Write the numbers from 1 to 8 into the squares, so that the squares with consecutive numbers do not touch (neither edges nor corners).

post-2-1175342365_thumbgif

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Write Numbers - solution

post-2-1175342470_thumbgif

• 1 month later...

I think the trick is that the middle 2 squares touching a lot of squares have to be 1 and 8 since they have only 1 adjacent number which allows you to put more numbers around them... once you start there, the puzzle virtually solves itself...am I making sense?

I think the trick is that the middle 2 squares touching a lot of squares have to be 1 and 8 since they have only 1 adjacent number which allows you to put more numbers around them... once you start there, the puzzle virtually solves itself...am I making sense?

absolutely correct. since the 2 middle squares touch almost all the other squares, except one each, they need to be 1 and 8. then that means the ones on the left and right need to be 2 and 7 and the ones on the top and bottom are the remaining four numbers. any combination that follows this configuration and the edges/corners rule is a possible solution.

• 3 weeks later...

i think u r making sense... but thats me. but i also think what u mean is that the two middle squares are touching all but one other square. and as u said 1 and 8 are the only ones that have 1 other adjacent # . so they therefore are the only #s that can fit into the middle spots. then of course u put the # that is adjacent to those #s in the only spot where each of the two middle spots can't touch

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is actually only one answer to this problem, but there appears to be four. Because the design is symmetrical across 2 axis, the answer can be mirrored to create what appears to be an additional 3 answers.

• 4 weeks later...
I am new at this. Could this be another solution?

1 3

5 7 6 8

2 4

No - the 7 and 6 are adjacent. No consecutive numbers can touch. The only solution *must* have 1 and 8 in the center.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here is the only one solution mirrored on 2 axis.

That is correct, 8 and 1 should be in the center since they're the only two numbers with one adjacent number (1->2 and 8->7). This makes that between 1 and 2 the 8 is, and between 7 and 8 the 1 is. 4 numbers left, those are the easy pick. Solved this in less then a minute.

• 1 month later...