BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Harry Potter Mafia - Year 2

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's on, nox. It all depends on if one of us is a baddie. I KILLED (forgive the pun) in TMM2 as a baddie. But if you play as a baddie... I'm pretty afraid.

If both of us are goodies... Well, since I've only played goodie once, 100% of the time I was terrible.:P

JK Rowling: Shadow7

Random House: Akriti

1. PEACE

2. nox

3. Aaryan

4. Anon26

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

8. Q-Cumber

10. Araver

12. Auramyna

13. Segul

Backup

1. Klue

Backup of backup

1. curr3nt

Well, this is not a training Mafia, so I guess I can play :D

If it starts later on and Klue or curr3nt or others want to join, we can swap and I'll stay a backup.

Nah, baddies won't have a problem. The kind of skills you (unduly) credit me for leads to this:

EITHER baddies will kill me on Night 1

OR If baddies don't kill me, goodies will assume I must be a baddie (why else baddies didn't kill me?), so they'll lynch me on Day 1.

It's lose-lose for me :mad::duh::angry:

HEY! I think you stole that frome me. And I stole it from someone else I'm sure...

JK Rowling: Shadow7

Random House: Akriti

1. PEACE

2. nox

3. Aaryan

4. Anon26

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. EDM!!! :D

8. Q-Cumber

10. Araver

12. Auramyna

13. Segul

Backup

1. Klue

Backup of backup

1. curr3nt

As long as I'm not Harry or Voldy, I'm in...:D

Excellent :) only 2 more needed. There are some experienced players playing, but they're nice as people--some of the experienced ones seem to think you should instantly be ready for the most insane variants, but these guys do a good job of helping you see where you can improve and so forth.

Harry Potter Year 2

Goodies: Wincon=eliminate baddies

Harry--RID kill (kill only if he correctly IDs the target's role)

Ron--block

Hermione--role spy

Dumbledore--can't be lynched

Colin--follow spy (sees target of action only)

4 other people who get turned to stone--vanilla

Baddies: Wincon=majority, BTSC and NK

Basilisk--NK carrier, block

Riddle--redirect

Ginny--even days her vote matches Riddle's (secretly), odd nights action spy (doesn't see target, but sees action (kill, spy, block, redirect))

Malfoy--vanilla

13 players

RID kill>>block>>NK>>redirect>>spy (who will know that they were redirected, but not to whom)

After Riddle dies, Ginny has no even cycle action

Once Basilisk dies, Baddies choose NK carrier

Hi guys .... if we will have lots of experienced players.. then please some of you could help us before we start to get some insights? If we're facing experienced players then we should at least get a fair understanding of the rules beforehand...

Like this for instance:

RID kill>>block>>NK>>redirect>>spy (who will know that they were redirected, but not to whom)

HUH ??? pls someone explain .. :blink::wacko:

and what does it mean redirect for riddle ? if harry for instance wants to kill him.. it will be redirected ? or the block will be redirected ? and do baddies choose the target of the redirection ? how could they do that if all actions are known at the end of the night ? or is it random ??

Hope u don't mind sharing some light... and... thanks in advance...

Excellent :) only 2 more needed. There are some experienced players playing, but they're nice as people--some of the experienced ones seem to think you should instantly be ready for the most insane variants, but these guys do a good job of helping you see where you can improve and so forth.

klue and curr3nt ? :):D

And redirect means that, if I was riddle and I knew someone wanted to spy me, I can choose to redirect araver to Yodell and he would spy your role without araver knowing what happened

:blush: thank you. I am however also part of the group of "vampires" you mentioned :P

HEY! I think you stole that frome me. And I stole it from someone else I'm sure...

I'm sure it wasn't cryptomnesia; I was just stating a simple observation based on the conversation between Aaryan and Yodell.

But then, would I know had it really been cryptomnesia? :P

And redirect means that, if I was riddle and I knew someone wanted to spy me, I can choose to redirect araver to Yodell and he would spy your role without araver knowing what happened

so .. as i understand: redirect is a volunteer action .. one u can choose not to use and also one u will choose the destination of... and if enforced the person acting UPON you will get his action enforced on the redirect target... right ?

so u can block a NK , but RID kill will not be blocked.. and you cannot redirect a NK or a RID or a block , you can redirect only a spy ..right ? and that spy will only learn the role of the person they were redirected to, and that they were redirected but not the person itself..

right ?

Hi guys .... if we will have lots of experienced players.. then please some of you could help us before we start to get some insights? If we're facing experienced players then we should at least get a fair understanding of the rules beforehand...

Like this for instance:

HUH ??? pls someone explain .. :blink::wacko:

and what does it mean redirect for riddle ? if harry for instance wants to kill him.. it will be redirected ? or the block will be redirected ? and do baddies choose the target of the redirection ? how could they do that if all actions are known at the end of the night ? or is it random ??

Hope u don't mind sharing some light... and... thanks in advance...

A redirect is an action that is submitted during the night, without knowing the others, as Darth Nox said in the above post. The redirector (A) tries to redirect B to C. If for example B is a spy trying to spy D, then B will spy C instead.

Basically, whenever there are more actions possible at the same time (during the same night) questions of which actions can be performed on others are inevitably raised e.g. if A tries to block B and B tries to redirect A to someone else, which goes first? is B blocked before redirecting A or is A redirected to block C instead of B?

Different hosts use different universes and have a different vision on how actions happen, so while the interpretation varies from host to host, there are some very common (yet somehow opposite) ways of looking at things:

1) Precedence - all actions happen roughly at the same time, if actions don't clash (like in the above example) nothing needs to be done, but ONLY in the event they do clash there is precedence awarded to one of them.

Example: block > redirect means that:

- if A tries to block B and B tries to redirect A to someone else ©, then B is blocked. Case 1) if facing one another, the blocker beats the redirector because of precedence

- however if A tries to block D and B tries to redirect A to C, then B's redirect goes through and redirects A to C, so C is blocked. Case 2) if they are not facing one another, then the redirector can redirect a blocker. Precedence rule (block>redirect) does not come in play in this case as the blocker is not "looking" at the redirector.

The above is also applied when there are longer loops (e.g. A targets B who targets C who targets A). But some hosts (GMaster479 for example) will let all actions happen in a 3-loop as defined above, and apply precedence only when 2 people target each other.

2) Order of actions (OOA) - all actions happen in a certain order (almost, but not exactly chronologically).

The above example block > redirect can be used, with the same results. The blocker can block and stop a redirect if he targets the redirector, but can also be redirected away if he does not target the redirector. There is no discernible difference with the precedence defined above for small loops.

In bigger loops (A targets B who targets C who targets A), the loop is broken by letting the highest action in the order of actions go first, then reevaluating to see if there are more loops to be broken.

If a host wants to force an action to happen before another type of action always... then a different notation is used: >>

Example. block >> redirect (note the >> instead of > to distinguish from block>redirect).

This means that block beats redirect all the time, regardless of the existence of a loop. It is somewhat chronological, sort of at 10:05 the blocker acts and blocks someone, at 10:20, the redirector can redirect players for the rest of the night, but he cannot redirect a block since the block already happened. In this "universe", a blocker cannot be redirected, period.

For this mafia (HP 2), all rules are OOA, and all are >>, which means completely chronological.

so u can block a NK , but RID kill will not be blocked.. YES

and you cannot redirect a NK or a RID or a block , you can redirect only a spy ..right ? YES

and that spy will only learn the role of the person they were redirected to, and that they were redirected but not the person itself..

right ? Yes, basically, a spy submits "spy C" and is told "C is The Godfather" and the nightpost shows the redirect happening. So the spy won't know who he actually spied and will only be aware that he was redirected because he sees his own name in the nightpost being redirected.