BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Aaryan

Question

A lot of theoretical physicists are assuming we could go back in time, but not forward. It seems odd to me that you could travel in time. It's like imagining all our life is caught on tape and we go back to edit a scene.

I do believe that we can go back in time.

Here's why:

Imagine Time and Space.

Imagine Space going left to right like threads.

Now imagine Time as a specific point, i.e. now. From that thare are infinite different ways something can happen, lime radii of a circle, and from a point in one strand there are infinite more strands (possibilities) THAT ALL HAPPEN, it just so happens that we live in one of those strands. Now if you lived in one strand of time, and somehow you managed to invent a time travel machine, you would go around that time-space continuum to that exact time where you want to go (that "point" where infinite possibilities are there) from there you can change things and go down ANOTHER STRAND, where everything is different. Your strand of time that you came from would go on without you, but the new one which you have created will be changed.

i dont htink so, for a couple reasons:

1) if we could, or if someone could do it publicly, some money hog would have made them by now and charged a fortune for it.

2)Other than lady gaga's outfits, i see nothing that is crazy super robotic without some idea how it got here. yes, there ARE crazy cool electronics these days, but i fully believe they are able to be made in this era.

3) paradoxes would be hard.

4) time is a human made concept. its really our way of calculating one change to another. the dictionary's definition I edited out most of the entry, and only kept in the things that could relate to here:

time |tīm| noun 1 the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole : travel through space and time | one of the greatest wits of all time. • the progress of this as affecting people and things : things were getting better as time passed. • time or an amount of time as reckoned by a conventional standard : it's eight o'clock Eastern Standard Time. • ( Time or Father Time) the personification of time, typically as an old man with a scythe and hourglass. 2 a point of time as measured in hours and minutes past midnight or noon : the time is 9:30. • a moment or definite portion of time allotted, used, or suitable for a purpose : the scheduled departure time | should we set a time for the meeting? • (often time for/to do something) the favorable or appropriate time to do something; the right moment : it was time to go | it's time for bed. • ( a time) an indefinite period : traveling always distorts one's feelings for a time. • (also times) a more or less definite portion of time in history or characterized by particular events or circumstances : Victorian times | at the time of Galileo | the park is beautiful at this time of year. • (also times) the conditions of life during a particular period : times have changed. • ( the Times) used in names of newspapers : The New York Times. • ( one's time) one's lifetime : I've known a lot of women in my time. • ( one's time) the successful, fortunate, or influential part of a person's life or career : in my time that was unheard of. • ( one's time) the appropriate or expected time for something, in particular childbirth or death : he seemed old before his time. • an apprenticeship : all of our foremen served their time on the loading dock. • dated a period of menstruation or pregnancy. • the normal rate of pay for time spent working : if called out on weekends, they are paid time and a half. • the length of time taken to run a race or complete an event or journey : his time for the mile was 3:49.31. • (in sports) a moment at which play is stopped temporarily within a game, or the act of calling for this : the umpire called time. • Soccer the end of the game : he scored five minutes from time. 3 time as allotted, available, or used : we need more time | it would be a waste of time.

so while "traveling through time" we are still in time. while we are going back on a timeLINE, we are continuing forward IN time. time slows down/stops completely near/in a black hole, but a "two minute jog" at the speed of light results in many many many years having gone by. I hope this made sence, but while traveling back and forth on a timeline is very unliekly, though very cool, i believe traveling, and more importantly EDITING time is impossible. has anyone see The Twilight Zone episode thing with abraham lincoln? (I think the episode is called Back There).

I do believe that we can go back in time.

Here's why:

Imagine Time and Space.

Imagine Space going left to right like threads.

Now imagine Time as a specific point, i.e. now. From that thare are infinite different ways something can happen, lime radii of a circle, and from a point in one strand there are infinite more strands (possibilities) THAT ALL HAPPEN, it just so happens that we live in one of those strands. Now if you lived in one strand of time, and somehow you managed to invent a time travel machine, you would go around that time-space continuum to that exact time where you want to go (that "point" where infinite possibilities are there) from there you can change things and go down ANOTHER STRAND, where everything is different. Your strand of time that you came from would go on without you, but the new one which you have created will be changed.

I do understand this, and i like it, but i think thats like parallel universes...another interesting topic. :)

I think theres something that says for every thought of doing something, another parallel universe is created in which you followed through on that thought, or took the wrong turn, or ran through that red light. everything changes. I do think that could be cool, but none the less, hard. Unless, of course, our universe IS a hologram, then we just rewind the image, but then again, you rewind with it.

Yes indeed, on both points

My point was that if someone SOMEHOW found a way of going around "time", (maybe using a Flux Copassator? :lol:) it would work.

I think it would be the awesomest thing - i know what I would do. but i dont think it will every happen sadly.

time is like a circle, and not like a circle. there is no beginning or end, yet time is not linear either. it is more like a web, any action you do affects the future, and is influennced by the past. time is flexible, anything can change, but there are crucial moments in time, crucial moments, that are always ment to be. such as your birth, your death, the big bang, evolution, et cetera. but everything else can fluxuate. you can choose to eat or not eat lunch, and time wouldn't care. but do I belive time travel exists? no. when one a second is gone, it is gone, there is nothing we could do the get it back, it only resides in our memories, dreams and records.

time is like a circle, and not like a circle. there is no beginning or end, yet time is not linear either. it is more like a web, any action you do affects the future, and is influennced by the past. time is flexible, anything can change, but there are crucial moments in time, crucial moments, that are always ment to be. such as your birth, your death, the big bang, evolution, et cetera. but everything else can fluxuate. you can choose to eat or not eat lunch, and time wouldn't care. but do I belive time travel exists? no. when one a second is gone, it is gone, there is nothing we could do the get it back, it only resides in our memories, dreams and records.

thats a really cool way of putting it. I like this, its sounds really...pretty. i dont think thats the right word to use, but i dont know what else to call it. poetic.

Personally, If I knew How to Time Travel, I wouldn't do it......Changing or altering history or time has very bad side effects.....thinking logically, i.e. And there's no way you CAN'T be seen, so big risk in itself.....:P

However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to time travel.....;)

Edited by EDM

I think if there was a time traveling device i could not go into the future because the future is not destiny or fate or definate, so if it only went to the past someone from the future would have come to our time, but they haven't, so I don't think it exists

I dont think anyone will ever be able to do it. It is impossible to create a device that can go faster than time. However, my idea is that assuming there was a device that did that (which is impossible) it is possible

Im at work and im bored time is going very slow for me

seriously i do no think that time travel si possibel for reasons everyone else has stated

I remember about this time last year there was a topic about the philosophy of time, or something like that. I never got involved in the discussion but it did put a few ideas into my head. Now I reckon I'm ready to try a little time travel, if my theory is correct it should just be a matter of adjusting my state of mind. If it works, I'll go back a year and post something in the philosophy of time thread. It's quite a temptation to look and see if my post is already there but I don't want to risk an anomaly. Here goes...

either itt workeed or i just had the wierdest dreammm

hold on got to check...

is it bad that my idea for going back in time would be to meet people before they got famous? yours are all about helping the world, and i want to stalk people before tey were famous. yes, im going to say thats bad.

but yeah, maurice: PLEASE take some pictures. what does the machine or whatever look like? does it look like the tardis?

@opie I'll give you a hint...the Cubs still haven't wn the World Series since 1908 :(

@peace ummm my machine is actually a phone booth, and it was given to me by someone who looks like the smartest person I've ever known...

bill-and-ted-rufus.jpg

Edited by maurice