BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

peace*out

Question

thanks to toby turner, i realized that tomorrow is

DUN DUN DUN

friday the 13th!!!

Is anyone superstitious? Im not really, but at the same time i dont like to walk under ladders much, but i dont freak about it. I actually think black cats are adorable. anyone else?

I think the second question is backwards. I do avoid superstitious behavior so I clicked yes.

by avoiding it, i mean avoiding black cats (obviously not - is that your kitteh? My minds going all cutesy just looking at it...awwwww... :wub: :wub: :wub: ), and avoiding that - but i see what you mean. ill try and change it.

thanks! :D

At first, I was a bit scared of it. Now, it just seems like a child's game to me. I don't step on cracks because of crazy foot-stepping games, but otherwise, I'll walk in front of a black cat or a ladder easily.

At first, I was a bit scared of it. Now, it just seems like a child's game to me. I don't step on cracks because of crazy foot-stepping games, but otherwise, I'll walk in front of a black cat or a ladder easily.

I'll sometimes go out of my way to step on cracks if I am bored.

I love the dont step on cracks game just because its fun. i like to see how quickly or slowly i can walk on a sidewalk stepping only once on a...tile?...and without stepping on cracks.

He isn't really a kitteh anymore...and he crosses my path many many times a day.

wait so that IS your kitteh? awwwww... :wub: :wub: :wub: I have a white one, i think it would be awesome to have a white and a black one. And i cant change the poll. :(

I'll sometimes go out of my way to step on cracks if I am bored.

I do that too. :)

I'm somewhat superstitious....but only because somehow, it works that way for me.....:blink:

I was never superstitious until I started reading the horoscopes and realized that my day was going exactly as it was mentioned.....every freaky day!!! :blink:

Since then I've been a bit careful with black cats and ladders (though i :wub: cats, even black ones like yours cur (:wub:) and ladders are more of common sense)....technically, i think that superstitions are parodies of common sense, in a freaky sort of way.....kinda like how santa clause is a parody of St. Nicholas......:P:D

Do you know why Friday the 13th is a superstition ?

Friday, October 13th, 1307, Jacques de Molay, the (last) Grand Master of the Templar Knights Order and sixty of his Templar brothers were arrested and charged with herresy by French King Philippe and the Pope Clement V.. (who actually wanted the templars riches to get into their hands)... Manny others where killed that day even at the slightest suspicion of being templars ...

Being arrested and tortured for many months, Jaques de Molay was crucified .. His last/dying words were that the king and the pope will follow him in the grave in less then a year... He was right.. both of them died during the following year.. the king from a hunting accident if i remember my history lessons and the pope being ill....

Since then , Friday the 13th remains as a day of curses and bad things happening ... :((

I acually head that friday the 13th was a superstition because of a myth (like the cinderella story with the 13th witch), and that it happened on friday.

I like yours better - plus yours is probably true. :P

I heard the ladder one because the sides of a ladder form a triangle wiht the ground, and triangles are sacred or something...

Im probably wrong, but thats what ive heard. :P

Some superstitions are founded on common sense. The "walking under a ladder" because there's usually somebody at the top of the ladder dripping paint (or whatever).!

Black cats are supposed to be witches reincarnated (from medieval lore - see how many paintings from that time have witches with black cats). Hence, they are bad luck if they stop and look at you, but good luck if they "cross your path" completely ignoring you.

13 is supposed to be unlucky because of the number at the Last Supper.

Edited by fabpig

I'm somewhat superstitious....but only because somehow, it works that way for me.....:blink:

I was never superstitious until I started reading the horoscopes and realized that my day was going exactly as it was mentioned.....every freaky day!!! :blink:

Since then I've been a bit careful with black cats and ladders (though i :wub: cats, even black ones like yours cur (:wub:) and ladders are more of common sense)....technically, i think that superstitions are parodies of common sense, in a freaky sort of way.....kinda like how santa clause is a parody of St. Nicholas......:P:D

This is what's called the placebo effect. We encrypt our mind with a really general message, and we say "this could really apply to me, so it's probably going to happen. You then create that reality. Sometimes you think "But when I look at other horoscopes, they don;t fully apply to me" and that is because you don't let them when they don't regard you. I think that positive superstitions are fantastic! However, all these superstitions causing buildings to not have a 13th floor is just trouble. It's common sense to not walk under a ladder or to shatter a mirror, but not step on a tiny crack? No.

I actually heard there was a killing on the 13th of a Friday in the 1300's. All we rely on is folklore from people barely as advanced as us believing in the logic of killing witches... when there were no witches. Psychology, my friends, psychology.

Edited by Q-Cumber

This is what's called the placebo effect. We encrypt our mind with a really general message, and we say "this could really apply to me, so it's probably going to happen. You then create that reality. Sometimes you think "But when I look at other horoscopes, they don;t fully apply to me" and that is because you don't let them when they don't regard you. I think that positive superstitions are fantastic! However, all these superstitions causing buildings to not have a 13th floor is just trouble. It's common sense to not walk under a ladder or to shatter a mirror, but not step on a tiny crack? No.

I actually heard there was a killing on the 13th of a Friday in the 1300's. All we rely on is folklore from people barely as advanced as us believing in the logic of killing witches... when there were no witches. Psychology, my friends, psychology.

1) thats cool - its similar to somehting called the halo effect, not extremely similar, but there are some parallels.

2) i think this is the...fourth? way fri. the 13th is bad?

wow...thats alotta bad 13s!! :P

And so... we let friday the 13th be a bad day for us. I've had a great day. Ups and downs, but not worse than the usual.

yeah, its weird. I think im going to take the taylor swift route and declare 13 my lucky number. take that horoscopes and superstitions!!!! *sticks tounge out* showed you, didnt i?

if anyone can reference where the above is from, you are my hero.

The ladder superstition: According to the old tales, the ladder forms the holy trinity triangle....walking under it breaks the trinity causing bad luck....:P

But the truth is, walking under an opened ladder may cause stuff to fall on you....you don't want to get hurt, or hurt anyone by accident, right? ;):D

Can someone tell me the myth for the umbrella and mirror superstition? Because those don't make much sense....except for common sense...;):D

Breaking a mirror is considered to give 7 years bad luck....opening an umbrella inside a room rather than outside is considered bad luck.....:P

Only it's more of common sense not to break mirrors or open umbrellas indoors as it could hurt someone....I just want to know where it originated? :)

Wow... I didn't know it was safer on Friday the 13th than any other Friday. Wonder how that works out.

I suspect one of two things play a factor (among others)

1) People are aware of the day and drive more cautiously

2) People who are crappy drivers anyway stay off the road as thgey feel they'd become more prone.