BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Seveny Rollo

Aaryan

CORNERS

Identical score FARMING-HARMING indicates that the 2 correct must be among *ARMING

no others fr that set can be eliminated. However, that says that F****** is incorrect (for FORMERS).

COUNTRY=0 indicates C****** is incorrect (for CORNERS), and that *O***** is incorrect (for both CORNERS and FORMERS) It also indicates that ***N*** is incorrect (also for CORNERS), and that *****R* is incorrect (for both CORNERS and FORMERS). POLICES=0 indicates that ******S is incorrect as well (for both CORNERS and FORMERS).

These leave the only possible correct letters as **RME** for FORMERS and **R*E** for CORNERS.

If the score for FORMERS is 3, then it's easy; **RME** is correct, which would be confirmed by a score of 2 on CORNERS.

If the score for FORMERS is 2, then the score on CORNERS would further narrow the correct letters. if CORNERS also receives a score of 2, then **R*E** is correct, and ***M*** is eliminated. If CORNERS receives a score of 1, then ***M*** is correct as the only difference between potentially scoring letters of FORMERS and CORNERS, and either **R**** OR ****E** is correct, but not both.

CORNICE can have from 0-3 due to COUNTRY=0-->CO***** is wrong; known ***M*** means ***N*** is wrong; comparative letter presence based logic on FARMING, HARMING, FORMERS, CORNERS, FARMERS indicates that ****I** is wrong (just a minute I'll add a table that shows what I mean lower down).

HARMFUL can have 1-5 based on FARMING/HARMING same score means H****** is wrong, comparative letter presence again indicates A is wrong.

F A R M I N G H A R M I N G F O R M E R S C O R N E R S F A R M E R S

Red letters are guaranteed no's due to other words or due to the known M (in blue). All of these words have 2 letters correct, except for CORNERS. The M in the others is known to be correct. Therefore out of all but the center letter, each word has ONE correct. Let's begin with FORMERS and CORNERS, as the other correct letter must be one of **R*E**. If the correct letter is R, then that is correct for all 5 words, and none of *A**ING is correct. However, if it is the E that is correct, FARMING and HARMING still need a second correct letter. FARMERS would then indicate that *A***** cannot be correct, as it already has 2 correct letters. Nor can ****I** be correct; we already have an E in that position. Thus, the correct from FARMING and HARMING would have to be one of *****NG. Thus, either **RM*** is correct, or ***ME** is correct along with one out of *****NG.

HARMONY

If HARMONY=2 then ***MEN* is correct; E is above; N is b/c HARMFUL=1 eliminates HAR****; COUNTRY=0 eliminates ******Y, and ****E** contradicts ****O** possibility, leaving only ***M*N* from HARMONY, plus ****E** already proved.

If HARMONY=1, then ***ME*G is (somehow) correct; remaining correct from FARMING must be either N or G; HARMONY=1 with M known means N is incorrect, leaving only G.

Edited by ShadowAngel7

ELEMENT

CHICKEN - 0----FORMERS - 2----ALIMONY - 3

FARMING - 2----CORNERS - 1----HARMONY - 2

COUNTRY - 0----FARMERS - 2

POLICES - 0----CORNICE - 0

HARMING - 2----HARMFUL - 1

Shad +15 fabpig +25 Thal +12

WombatBreath: 992

Thalia: 903

Maquis: 265

TheCube: 261