BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Mama is three times as old as Child, who was two when the twins were born. Daddy is five times as old as the twins and four years older than Mama. Grandma had Mama when she was 20 and was 36 when the twins were born. Mama was 8 times as old as Child when the twins were born. How old will Daddy be on his 50th birthday?

How old will Mama be then? Grandma? The twins? Child?

Twins at 2x8! What has this world come to? Twins at 2x8 with a two-year-old already! That's a young couple!

Daddy: 50

Mama: 46

Grandma: 66

Twins: 30

Child: 32

Thanks for trying! Feel free to ask questions. This one--or, at least, a similar one--confused my math/science teacher who's been teaching for several decades. Good luck!

7 answers to this question

Good job. How'd you figure it out?

daddy is easy - you said what age when he is 50.

momma = daddy - 4 based on your third clue, so that makes her 46.

grandma = momma + 20 based on your fourth clue so that makes her 66

momma was 16 when the twins were born based on the last clue so that makes the twins = momma - 16 = 30

child is twins + 2 based on the second clue, so child = 32

Mama is three times as old as Child, who was two when the twins were born. Daddy is five times as old as the twins and four years older than Mama. Grandma had Mama when she was 20 and was 36 when the twins were born. Mama was 8 times as old as Child when the twins were born. How old will Daddy be on his 50th birthday?

How old will Mama be then? Grandma? The twins? Child?

Thanks for trying! Feel free to ask questions. This one--or, at least, a similar one--confused my math/science teacher who's been teaching for several decades. Good luck!

I have a question that made my head spin reading it. First statement says Mama is three times as old as Child, who was two when the twins were born. From that statement it means Mama is 6 when the twins were born. Then you contradict yourself when you say Mama was 8 times as old as Child when the twins were born. Making Mama 16 when the twins were born. No wonder it stumped your math/science teacher. lol

I have a question that made my head spin reading it. First statement says Mama is three times as old as Child, who was two when the twins were born. From that statement it means Mama is 6 when the twins were born. Then you contradict yourself when you say Mama was 8 times as old as Child when the twins were born. Making Mama 16 when the twins were born. No wonder it stumped your math/science teacher. lol

@Kran: Nah, you made a simple grammar mistake.

...Mama is three times as old as Child, who was two when the twins were born.

Tense is important.

@Kran: Nah, you made a simple grammar mistake.

...Mama is three times as old as Child, who was two when the twins were born.

Tense is important.

I see now. It's there to throw you off, basically the Mama 2x doesn't matter, because it isn't part of the equation. Cool. It certainly threw me off. ^_^