BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Once upon a time , there was a round castle which in lived a king, a queen and their son. One day the son was murdered. The king went to investigate.

First, he went to the royal chefs. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day making food, so how can it be us?" answered the royal chefs...

The king went on.

Then, he went to the servants. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day fulfilling your will, so how can it be us?" answered the servants...

The king went on.

Next, he went to the cleaning men. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day cleaning each corner of the kingdom , so how can it be me?" answered the cleaner...

The king went on.

Lastly, he went to the knights. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day fighting and protecting the kingdom, so how can it be us?" answered the royal chefs...

So who is the killer?

pay close attention to each suspect's response

Edited by AngelorD

Once upon a time , there was a round castle which in lived a king, a queen and their son. One day the son was murdered. The king went to investigate.

First, he went to the royal chefs. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day making food, so how can it be us?" answered the royal chefs...

The king went on.

Then, he went to the servants. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day fulfilling your will, so how can it be us?" answered the servants...

The king went on.

Next, he went to the cleaning men. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day cleaning each corner of the kingdom , so how can it be me?" answered the cleaner...

The king went on.

Lastly, he went to the knights. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day fighting and protecting the kingdom, so how can it be us?" answered the royal chefs...

So who is the killer?

Once upon a time , there was a round castle which in lived a king, a queen and their son. One day the son was murdered.

he went to the cleaning men. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day cleaning each corner of the kingdom , so how can it be me?" answered the cleaner...

The king went on.

Corners in a round castle (Cleaning men is a funny term too - those naughty cleaners!

The king went on.

The king went on.

The king went on.

So who is the killer?

I think a variation of this type of puzzle has been posted before ...

The king shouldn't believe the cleaners ... a corner in a round castle ;)

Edited by brhan

But they didn't say they were cleaning the corners of the castle, just the corners of the kingdom, which could easily have corners. Also, even if they had said castle, there are still corners because the vertex between the wall and the floor is still a corner, not to mention all the corners in the buildings (which i assume are square, even if they're not, the first reason still stands applied to the buildings).

I say the king killed his son (assuming all subjects are telling the truth)

Edited by Noct

If the cleaner have said...we r cleaning each corner of the castle, then they might have killed him. but they said that they were cleaning the corners of the kingdom...so the prince committed a suicide.

"Next, he went to the cleaning men. "Did you kill the prince?" the king asked - "We were busy all day cleaning each corner of the kingdom , so how can it be me?" answered the cleaner..."

is it one of the other cleaners? because it was written so only one of them answered

The king went on.

I believe that the king ordered the servants to kill his son.

Hope Im right :wacko:

I believe that the king ordered the servants to kill his son.

I was thinking along a similar line. If the king wanted his son killed, then the servants would be honest to say they carried out the will of the King. Also, if the knights were protecting the kingdom, they could have killed the son because he posed a threat. For example, perhaps he was planning to overthrow his father and usurp the throne.

I was thinking along a similar line. If the king wanted his son killed, then the servants would be honest to say they carried out the will of the King. Also, if the knights were protecting the kingdom, they could have killed the son because he posed a threat. For example, perhaps he was planning to overthrow his father and usurp the throne.

Or along those lines it could have been the chefs, because they could have poisoned the food that they fed him. The only ones I can't see doing it based on what everyone said are the cleaners. The King and all others asked are suspects.

dictionary 012 i see your point. i just assumed it was a typo since there seem to be a few, and that the poster meant they all said. If not then i could see how it could be a cleaner.

Also OP I assume you meant "said the knights" for the last one.

i thought of both those, but then, the cleaners answered twice and thats a sign of guild so i pin the cleaners.... that or it was hastaly posted :rolleyes:

i thought of both those, but then, the cleaners answered twice and thats a sign of guild so i pin the cleaners.... that or it was hastaly posted :rolleyes:

How do you mean the cleaners answered twice? I might be missing something but I only see one response.

The king went on.

The king went on.

The king went on.

So who is the killer?

right, sorry, chef

There were serveral mistakes in the typing

"We were busy all day cleaning every corner of your kingdom, so how can it be us?" answered the cleaning men.

We were busy all day fighting and protecting the kingdom, so how can it be us?" answered the knights...

Edited by AngelorD

Angelor, you can't say for sure whether they're mistakes or not. I just assumed they were, but they very well could be part of the puzzle. If they're not mistakes, does that lend itself to a clear answer?

Angelor, you can't say for sure whether they're mistakes or not.

Since he's the original poster, I'm pretty sure he has that authority. Work with his updated text, although it does seem to me like there are several acceptable answers, so I'm curious what the OP had in mind.

Since he's the original poster, I'm pretty sure he has that authority. Work with his updated text, although it does seem to me like there are several acceptable answers, so I'm curious what the OP had in mind.

Wow you're absolutely right. Sorry about that!! :wacko: Kind of late and i didn't realize who was posting. Sorry Angelor!!

The king went on.

The king went on.

The king went on.

So who is the killer?

either the cleaner or the knights beacuse the royal chefs answered for the knights

Assuming they were all telling the truth:

The chefs were busy making food, and if the prince had wandered into the kitchen and been murdered there it would be obvious.

The servants were fulfilling the king's will, and if the king had wanted the prince dead he would have known about it and wouldn't have to investigate.

The cleaners were cleaning every corner of the kingdom, which puts them outside the castle since it is round.

The knights were fighting and protecting the kingdom, which could very well have involved killing the prince if he posed a threat to the kingdom.

The knights did it!

It doesn't yield a singular answer. Where is CSI Grissom when you need him? Really, I'm quite disappointed in the King's crime-solving techniques and have come to expect more of people.

Also, why didn't he question the queen? Is her name Lady Macbeth by any chance . . .