BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

My daughter cooked a delicious soup but unfortunately with too much salt,which I hate.

how can I get rid of this salt without diluting the soup or adding any additives to it?

can you help me?

a potato

an additive?

a potato

an additive?

Not diluting but the opposite. More liquid would need to be added to keep the consistancy.

Would that be allowed? If so, adding anything that would absorb the liquid would work. A towel or sponge even.

I agree with Maurice, but it that's not allowed

to add more of every ingredient except salt.

I like that as well

Making a whole other salt-less batch and then mixing the two.

Superheat the soup to a boil and capture the gaseous particles (with a balloon?). What's left in the container will be any solids not boiled (including the salt). Scoop salt out to your heart's content. Cool the gaseous particles (although room temperature should be enough to cool them quickly) and return them to the container.

Presto soupo!

Probably the stupidest idea I've had in my life..... I don't think it'll work but here goes

I think some how evaporating the soup, removing the salt crystals, and then cooling the soup gas until it condensates would work but I don't know how you would go about it.

I know it's a really weird idea but I was doing it in Science the other day.

Superheat the soup to a boil and capture the gaseous particles (with a balloon?). What's left in the container will be any solids not boiled (including the salt). Scoop salt out to your heart's content. Cool the gaseous particles (although room temperature should be enough to cool them quickly) and return them to the container.

Presto soupo!

I just posted the same thing as an answer to this puzzle before I read all the reply's all ready written

sorry xx

Take some bread and remove the crust, weigh it, then lay it across the top of the soup and let it absorb the liquid and salt. After a few minutes scoop the saturated bread from the soup and weigh again. replace the liquid equal to the amount of the difference between the dry bread and the saturated bread

Back to the potato.

this is way less involved than the boiling and less time consuming.

Peel a potato, use the peeler to get tiny thin slices of potato put that at the botttom of a collander cover with cheese cloth. strain the soup liquid as many times as needed, may require more than one patatobut all the soup solids are caught above the cheese cloth add back to the less salty broth.

My daughter cooked a delicious soup but unfortunately with too much salt,which I hate.

how can I get rid of this salt without diluting the soup or adding any additives to it?

can you help me?

Edited by moneybagzT

This puzzler evidently doesn't have a solution which would allow me to eat the soup at the same sitting it was served. All solutions so far require some sort of manipulation requiring the insulting of the daughter and requiring hours to accomplish. It's not a clever puzzle unless it has a clever solution. This is not a clever puzzle.

try osmosis....

that is what actually the pottato doing...

pottato outer surface acting as semipermiable membrain allowing movement of water particles into soup and taking the salt into it. This is osmosis(of course u can do it with any type of semi permiable membrane with low concentration on other side)

net result ur salt concentration will decrease.

domestic science \m/

I like the potato idea. Add a peeled potato, cook for a few minutes longer, and then remove the potato. It's an old baker's trick; the potato absorbs the extra salt and adds no flavor by itself. It wouldn't be considered an additive, since you remove the potato later.

i think we may use a half boiled or raw egg. but has to be peeled so carefully only to take it's shell out but not the covering membrane..(i'm not sure someone can do that). but if u do then u r a sure winner.. just put the thing into the soup and the membrane which is semipermiable will take in only the salt....

i think we may use a half boiled or raw egg. but has to be peeled so carefully only to take it's shell out but not the covering membrane..(i'm not sure someone can do that). but if u do then u r a sure winner.. just put the thing into the soup and the membrane which is semipermiable will take in only the salt....

You could soak the soft-boiled egg in vinegar which will dissolve the outer shell leaving the membrane intact. I think this takes some time though, like 24 hours.

Adding a potato to the soup is probably not a good solution. Potato does NOT absorb salt but looses its own water in salt concentrated water. This is actually against the puzzle requirement as it states clearly to solve "without diluting the soup"

In INDIA we use one method

we use to make small rope like structure out of dough ,prepared by mixing flour and water.and then put it into soup and the dough will absorb salt

BE CAREFUL WHILE USING PRACTICALLY AS I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS! :duh::lol::excl: :excl:

Thats right!! :thumbsup: