BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I think this a good puzzle but I couldn't find it in the forum. I've probably looked in the wrong place because it's a well known puzzle. Sorry if this puzzle has already been posted, my mistake, but I still hope you'll enjoy it... (If you have heard this puzzle before then you'll know I changed the wording slightly but I didn't know how to start it off)

You walk youth club for the first time and see your friends sitting in the corner setting up a game.

"Hi!!"you exclaim as you rush over to them,"Thanks for inviting me. This looks really fun, what is it?"

"You don't know?" you friend replys then exchange glances with the others,"Great!" she says,"We have a competitor!"

"Em...Guys, what is it we're doing?"

"I can't tell you much but everything I tell you is important,

1. The name of the game is Petals Around the Rose,

2. The score is either 0 or an even number,

3. No-one who knows how to play can explain anyhting else to you,

4. The aim of the game is to find the score." you friend replys.

"Okay..So what do I do?" you ask again but all you friend says is,

"You find the score." Then she takes out 5 dice and rolls them they land as

5 4 1 2 6

"Go on then, tell me the score!" your friend says.

"Em... is it 5+4+1+2+6... em.. 18!"

"No, it's 4. Roll again and tell me the score!"

1 1 4 2 4

"I really don't know."

"No, the answer is 0. Roll again!"

3 2 2 1 4

"....."

"Right this is the last one I'm telling you and remember everything I tell you is important. This roll's score is 2!" your friend says as she rolls the dice again.

6 3 5 3 2

Can you tell me what the scor is and what the answer to the puzzle is? Can you solve the riddle of the petals around the Rose

Please use spoilers so others don't learn the answer before they wan't to and explain how you got the answer please. Good luck! and Have Fun! :thumbsup:

Edited by Riddle_Lover

22 answers to this question

I remember I had this in my classroom some time ago. I solved it after an hour.

Instead of clue number 2, our teacher told us a different clue... it was

The name of the game

Anyways, the answer is

I will leave it to you to figure out why

I am inferring that the dice value really don't play into this ... if the name is the key, and placed into a context of finance, the acronym PAR could simply mean an arbitrary amount. Couple this with rule two and it could be any even number or zero, dependent upon the "caller." Of course, this means that 18 would have been a valid PAR, but either a) it cannot exceed a single die value, or b) it was not accepted in the questioning tone.

It is 8.

There are 2 ways to think about it. One is the number of petals around the rose, ie the numbers around the center number on a die. Only odd dice have the center number. Another way to think of it is just to add all the odd dice and subtract 1 for each odd dice.

I am inferring that the dice value really don't play into this ... if the name is the key, and placed into a context of finance, the acronym PAR could simply mean an arbitrary amount. Couple this with rule two and it could be any even number or zero, dependent upon the "caller." Of course, this means that 18 would have been a valid PAR, but either a) it cannot exceed a single die value, or b) it was not accepted in the questioning tone.

I figured it out, and the answer's definitely 8. Without giving away the solution completely, it HAS to be zero or an even number between 2 and 20.

Well, going by a totally different logic,

SIX

Think of the odd numbers that have not appeared in 5 roles of dices. Think the number opposite it. Now, if you get multiple even numbers then the answer is ZERO, else the even number you've just arrived at.

sum of opposite faces of a fair dice is always 7

Edited by KlueMaster

The name of the game is the key. Standard dice have pips on them. only the odd dice have pips in the center. These are the roses. Any pips around the center are petals. Only 3 and 5 have these (2 and 4 respectively) so the score is 2 for each 3 and 4 for each 5 making the last example 8 (two 3's and one 5).

The name of the game is the key. Standard dice have pips on them. only the odd dice have pips in the center. These are the roses. Any pips around the center are petals. Only 3 and 5 have these (2 and 4 respectively) so the score is 2 for each 3 and 4 for each 5 making the last example 8 (two 3's and one 5).

Thank you for explaining it was really helpful.

The answer's 8 when following those rules.

It seems obvious, but the number to the left of the middle number is the answer. (0 for an odd number). It makes sense with the title- because if you start in the middle and go "around" the rose, you would stop at the number to the left of the middle.

It is 8.

There are 2 ways to think about it. One is the number of petals around the rose, ie the numbers around the center number on a die. Only odd dice have the center number. Another way to think of it is just to add all the odd dice and subtract 1 for each odd dice.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I see...

6(0), 3(2), 5(4), 3(2), and 2(0)...

2+4+2=8!

Well done Q-Cunber, Nana 7 and JAPrufrock (and anyone else) for getting the right answer!! :thumbsup:

Sorry for all my spelling errors but I posted this a time between midnight and 2 o'clock in the morning in the UK so I was a little bit tired and I wasn't thinking straight :wacko:

I believe it would be 8 because if you

Add the odd numbers and subract all the numbers you used by one. For example, 5, 1, 2, 5, and 6 would be 8 if you used that method.

If there are any other answers or if my answer is incorrect, please tell me.

I believe it would be 8 because if you

If there are any other answers or if my answer is incorrect, please tell me.

Add the odd numbers and subract all the numbers you used by one. For example, 5, 1, 2, 5, and 6 would be 8 if you used that method.

You're answer is right but the way you should think of it is as if the dice were roses(sometimes). Odd number's on a dice have a centre and the other dots are around this centre just like petals are around the centre of the rose. Even's don't have a centre so they have no petals around the rose