BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

You are having a party and invite 50 of your closest friends. You tell them they could each bring one person. ONly half of the people that you invite come, how many people are at the party.

16 answers to this question

You are having a party and invite 50 of your closest friends. You tell them they could each bring one person. ONly half of the people that you invite come, how many people are at the party.

Between 25 and 50 ... not sure if you are looking for a single number.

:mellow:

i dont think there is enough information: did the people that you invited who came each bring 1 friend? that is, out of the 50 people you invited, 25 came, and did they bring somebody else with them? :mellow: if so, my guess is:

51 people: 25 invited + 25 brought along + 1 (you) = 51

I think something is missing - you are meant to forget about youself,

potentialy 1 + 50 + 50 = 101

but only half come, so;

1 + 25 + 25 = 51

Or only half the invited come without guests for various possible reasons

1 + 25 = 26

I'd say 26. Based on the wording, I interpret it as the only people to come are half of those you invited (and yourself of course), not as of those invited only half come. If it was the latter, it could be anything from 26-51.

Since only half of the 50 closet friend you invited came, and assumed each one brought 1 friend along. The total is 25 * 2 = 50, BUT... plus youself

So the total people in the party = 51 !

I say 50 because *you* are already there

nope: 50 invited, only 1/2 came, so 25 invited + 25 guests (1 each) gives 50 people, PLUS YOURSELF!! if you didn't come, what's the point of organizing your party? 50+1=51, right?!?! :blink:

does this have a single answer? It could be anywhere between 26 and 51 depending on how many of the half of the people that come bring another person. Since the problem states that they could bring a person, not must bring another person, there are 25 different possibilities. Any way, I don't think I could afford such a large party in the first place.

does this have a single answer? It could be anywhere between 26 and 51 depending on how many of the half of the people that come bring another person. Since the problem states that they could bring a person, not must bring another person, there are 25 different possibilities. Any way, I don't think I could afford such a large party in the first place.

Does seem like a waste of money, for 50 CLOSEST friends - that's a lot of friends, and they ALL have to be close??? and then they bring just any old body, or are they so close that they don't bring just anyone along and so the 'CLIQUE' has no one else to bring.

1 - I'll be all alone!

So, since half show up, that means 25 people came. I *assume* that each brought a guest (and am wondering why their guests are not also in my closest friends list ... this isn't a MySpace party?). So, that is 50 people that come (25*2). However, since I am also enjoying the party myself, that's 51 total people at the party, assuming, of course, that no uninvited guest crashes my party.

Its 26 half of the 50 and yourself
- so your saying half the invited and no guest +me+YOU (counting) - you were not there, you are not in my friends list - I just checked!

- the party was last night and they all came - it was a surprise party and nobody told me about it, including the party managment, there were....

51 incuding me.

Obviously I'm joking and your welcome to come to the next party - if it's not for my closest friends - then you don't have to gate crash.

You are having a party and invite 50 of your closest friends. You tell them they could each bring one person. ONly half of the people that you invite come, how many people are at the party.[

56 because 50 people invited half come=25x2 which are suposed to bring someone and yourself

50-1/2=25x2+1=51

Edited by Chubstick23