BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello Everyone!!! I find this site interesting because me too is a fan of riddles,so for a treat, here's my personal favorite that i made for everyone!!

Peter, John and Mary happened to meet a good merchant!

For merchant's generosity, He give Peter 10 Mangoes, He also give 30 Mangoes to John, and lastly give 50 Mangoes to Mary!

The merchant told them to sell the Mangoes with fair price and no competition.

(no competition means if Peter sell the 1$ per mango, John and Mary would have to sell their Mangoes for 1$ per mango also, got it?)

After all the mangoes had been sold, Peter, John and Mary get the same amount from selling their mangoes

(Let's assume that if Peter get 10$ after his mangoes was sold out,

John also get 10$ after his 30 mangoes was sold out and Mary also got 10$ after her 50 mangoes was sold out)

How Did they sell it?

How did they arrive with same incomes knowing that there is no competition among them?

Wake up,wake up Brain Teaser Maniacs (^_^)V

have not read thru the whole thread so do not know if the following has been guessed or already refuted but...

Mary had puny mangoes of average wt .2 kilos each. John had pretty average sized mangoes averaging 1/3 kilos each. Peter has some giant mangoes weighing 1 kilo each on average. all mangoes are sold for $1/kilo, all vendors make $10, no competition as all are sold for the same price.

have not read thru the whole thread so do not know if the following has been guessed or already refuted but...

Mary had puny mangoes of average wt .2 kilos each. John had pretty average sized mangoes averaging 1/3 kilos each. Peter has some giant mangoes weighing 1 kilo each on average. all mangoes are sold for $1/kilo, all vendors make $10, no competition as all are sold for the same price.

No Competition

in every aspect of this riddle, they must sell exactly what the other sell, either in shapes, sizes, weight, and appearance of the mangoes

Coming from a country where mangoes are sold by Kg, I don't see how count matters?

EDIT: typo

icame also from country were mangoes are sold by kilo! i..n philippines

count matters for the purpose of the riddle

You should have included: "They may alter the price as they wish, but only if they have all sold the same number of mangoes for the current price."

Without that, I can say:

They agree on a price of $1 per mango. Guy with 10 mangoes sells all of his ($10). They then change the price to $.5, and Guy with 20 mangoes sells all of his ($10). They then change the price to $.33 and the last guy sells his 30 mangoes for $10 (rounded, of course).

Nothing prevents this (or really any other scenario), and as it stands, you're just asking for three ways to make $10.

You should have included: "They may alter the price as they wish, but only if they have all sold the same number of mangoes for the current price."

Without that, I can say:

They agree on a price of $1 per mango. Guy with 10 mangoes sells all of his ($10). They then change the price to $.5, and Guy with 20 mangoes sells all of his ($10). They then change the price to $.33 and the last guy sells his 30 mangoes for $10 (rounded, of course).

Nothing prevents this (or really any other scenario), and as it stands, you're just asking for three ways to make $10.

Bingo!!

Or

Mango price = $.25

G10 sells 0

G20 sells 12

G30 sells 20

hmm, let's raise our prices to $.50 says G30

G10 sells 4

G20 sells 2

G30 sells 20 - sold out makes $10

hmm, let's raise our prices to $1.00 says G20

G10 sells 4

G20 sells 6 - sold out makes $10

hmm, I guess I can raise my price to $2.00 says G10

G10 sells 2 - sold out makes $10

et al

Bingo!!

Or

Mango price = $.25

G10 sells 0

G20 sells 12

G30 sells 20

hmm, let's raise our prices to $.50 says G30

G10 sells 4

G20 sells 2

G30 sells 20 - sold out makes $10

hmm, let's raise our prices to $1.00 says G20

G10 sells 4

G20 sells 6 - sold out makes $10

hmm, I guess I can raise my price to $2.00 says G10

G10 sells 2 - sold out makes $10

et al

if the 2 persons raise their price, the other one must also raise his price

because if only 2 person are involve in raising its price, the other one will be left behind,thus a competition will take place!!

if anyone of them raise a price, the others must also raise their price equal to the price raised by the first person

They must also sell equal number of mangoes until all mangoes are sold

Without that, I can say:

Your answer will trigger a competition, since guy with 10 mangoes will be the first one to sell out his mangoes

and NO, it's not 20 and 30 mangoes, it's 30 and 50!

if you wish to alter price, go ahead, but make sure that all three of you sell those mangoes at the same time and same price.

Edited by Ranchoddas Chanchad

Your answer will trigger a competition, since guy with 10 mangoes will be the first one to sell out his mangoes

and NO, it's not 20 and 30 mangoes, it's 30 and 50!

if you wish to alter price, go ahead, but make sure that all three of you sell those mangoes at the same time and same price.

Right. That's something that should have been included in the OP.

1) They can change their price, but only if they've sold the same number of mangoes for the current price (unless one [or more] person has no mangoes left).

I understand what you're trying to say, but if you don't explicitly say it, I'm free to assume whatever I want within the bounds of what you did say. Not everyone's a mind reader. Just me. =P

if the 2 persons raise their price, the other one must also raise his price

because if only 2 person are involve in raising its price, the other one will be left behind,thus a competition will take place!!

if anyone of them raise a price, the others must also raise their price equal to the price raised by the first person

They must also sell equal number of mangoes until all mangoes are sold

Right, in my example they are all raising their price at the same time. One says it but they all do it, the math confirms this.

Why must they all sell equal number of mangoes until all mangoes are sold? And how may they if they have different amounts of mangoes?

And Yuli, I knew you were thinking that :P

edit RC, I do like your answer. I just disagree that its the only one :D

Edited by maurice

if peter sells his mangoes for "buy 1 get 2 free", john and mary would have to sell also their mangoes for "buy 1 get 2 free" also, because as the rules says, no competition, got it?

You misunderstood my solution. There is no competition.

Peter would sell his mangoes for $1 and include two coupons with each sale. These coupons would be good for the OTHER vendors' wares.

its says no competition, they must sell it for the same price

I think by definition there is no competition if only one vendor can sell the product at any given point in time.

However - using a mechanism to the one you used in your solution (but that is equivalent to my solution):

they all agreed that the price was $3 per mango but that only Mary could sell at this price. Then after Mary sold out they all agreed that the price was $5 per mango but that only John could sell at this price. Then after John sold out they all agreed that the price was $15 per mango but that only Pete could sell at this price.