BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Newbie Mafia

Hirkala

HOSTS: Newbie Host and Experienced Host

1. Sakura-chan

3. Tralala!

4. 'Cat'astrophe

6. Smoth333

Backup/Mentor/Whatever you need me to be :)

1. MiKi

2. Zweefer

HOSTS: Newbie Host and Experienced Host

1. Sakura-chan

3. Tralala!

4. 'Cat'astrophe

6. Smoth333

7. Nana7

13. tolecnal

Backup/Mentor/Whatever you need me to be

1. MiKi

2. Zweefer

Mentor only

1. Thalia

I am cohosting Skulduggery (my first), but do I still qualify as a newbie host? If so, I'd like to host and remove my name as player.

I am cohosting Skulduggery (my first), but do I still qualify as a newbie host? If so, I'd like to host and remove my name as player.

i wonder if 2 mostly newbies could do this one in place of a total newbie and experienced host? I love it.

Giving newbie hosts a chance to host while being supervised for the first time comes from a long line of experiences. There are threads that debate a lot of aspects, so let me just recall one of the conclusions: Hosting a Mafia game and Playing a Mafia game are two very different things, to the point of requiring a different set of skills, and while playing several games is a very good foundation, in itself, it does not guarantee success.

So, because a lot of people want to host after they play a few games, the current newbie + experienced host setup allows all newbies to try it out, while guaranteeing that the game does not fail / the players are not disappointed. Or at least to ensure a good learning experience for the newbie host and a nice playing environment for the (also possibly new) players.

As long as there are a lot of experienced hosts around, this works best. At least for Trainer's Manual Mafias where there are a lot of potential new players and a lot of questions to be answered during the game.

Back to the initial question, there are a lot of situations one has to deal when hosting a Mafia game. And not all situations surface in the first (co-)hosting experience. So, while two (even first time) newbies can theoretically pull off a Mafia together, it would be advisable for all involved (especially for the players) to have some sort of mentor/3rd party in a host BTSC which can be summoned or intervene with an opinion if needed.

As for the previous discussion about first-time hosting / further references:

- has most of the terminology of the game and includes basic hosting tips.

- Guide to Hosting is an expanded version that includes a lot of pitfalls and potential solutions.