BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Newbie Mafia

Hirkala

It's a role play game where people "eliminate" each other. There is the majority (goodies, villagers ) and the minority (baddies, Mafia). Different groups have different win conditions, for example the minority (Mafia) has to become the majority by killing people on the other team. There are many types of Mafia, all of them having unique rules and characters.

For more information you can read unreality's guide (at the top of the games section).

Hope that was helpful. :thumbsup:

Edited by kristmark1

Just to give a user-friendly summary:

It is made up of "day" and "night" cycles which take 24+ hours each. At night, anyone with actions uses them by PMing the host, during the day we all discuss and vote who we want to "lynch". Whoever is lynched dies and is removed from the game, and we find out their role. Anyone who is killed at night (by whoever has the kill power), their role is NOT revealed (but they are removed from the game.) People have roles such as save a player, spy a players role, sometimes there is block a players action. Other people are "vanilla townies" and do not have a night action, but get to vote during the "day" cycle.

The baddies know who each other are and can discuss and strategise privately behind the scenes. The goodies only know their own role and don't know who the other goodies are. During the day, goodies AND baddies converse on the forum, all pretending to be goodies, and trying to put blame on each other while deciding who to vote out.

It is a game of trickery and deception but also of logic. By reading the day and night posts (made by the host, saying what actions were done on who), you can eliminate people as being certain roles. Also, when we are voting to lynch someone, people who are close to being lynched will come up with defences which can give intended and unintended information. The goodies win if all the baddies are dead and the baddies win if all the goodies are dead. That is a summary of the basic way to play it.

As for time investment, at a minimum you should log on once a day and post but preferably a few posts or more a day. Over the "night" period (which covers a real time day and night, or sometimes longer), you only need to PM your action to the host. Depending on the game, sometimes there is posting during the "night" cycle and sometimes not.

In my signature is the link to the Newbies guide to Mafia, also linked by Hirkala and also stickied on the games forum.

P.S - It is very addicting!

Edited by Auramyna

i might be posting in the wrong place but i want to know what are MAFIAs in this site about? what do u do? and how do you WIN?

and if they take lots of time i'll be able to start after 12 of june cz i'm having excessive exams now till then

Hope to see you at the two mafias. You will find both the mafias and the guide in my signature.

Just to give a user-friendly summary:

It is made up of "day" and "night" cycles which take 24+ hours each. At night, anyone with actions uses them by PMing the host, during the day we all discuss and vote who we want to "lynch". Whoever is lynched dies and is removed from the game, and we find out their role. Anyone who is killed at night (by whoever has the kill power), their role is NOT revealed (but they are removed from the game.) People have roles such as save a player, spy a players role, sometimes there is block a players action. Other people are "vanilla townies" and do not have a night action, but get to vote during the "day" cycle.

The baddies know who each other are and can discuss and strategise privately behind the scenes. The goodies only know their own role and don't know who the other goodies are. During the day, goodies AND baddies converse on the forum, all pretending to be goodies, and trying to put blame on each other while deciding who to vote out.

It is a game of trickery and deception but also of logic. By reading the day and night posts (made by the host, saying what actions were done on who), you can eliminate people as being certain roles. Also, when we are voting to lynch someone, people who are close to being lynched will come up with defences which can give intended and unintended information. The goodies win if all the baddies are dead and the baddies win if all the goodies are dead. That is a summary of the basic way to play it.

As for time investment, at a minimum you should log on once a day and post but preferably a few posts or more a day. Over the "night" period (which covers a real time day and night, or sometimes longer), you only need to PM your action to the host. Depending on the game, sometimes there is posting during the "night" cycle and sometimes not.

In my signature is the link to the Newbies guide to Mafia, also linked by Hirkala and also stickied on the games forum.

P.S - It is very addicting!

Wow! that's a lot of typing. Thanx this will help many newbies :thumbsup:

thanks for all of you for that LOAD of information :thumbsup: especially Auramyna ,i think your fingers hurts now :P and now i've started reading thre Newbies guide to Mafia.

well Akriti,i think i can't be on those 2 mafias now,i'm busy now and have upcoming important exams,but after the 14th of june i'll be in the fist one coming in ;) but i hope i won't be 'dead' first :P

thank you all again for the help :)

1. The son of rage and love (not active)

2. Psychosmurf

3. Akriti - confirmed

4. Kokiri971 - confirmed

5. mangamathsfreak

6. Auramyna

7. Jane Doe

8. Yodell - confirmed

9. Mukul Verma

10. kristamark1 - confirmed (can play until June 4th)

Since I've gone through only a game and a N1 death so far, would I still be considered a newbie?

If yes, then I'd like to sign-up for this game (as no other mafia is about to be kicked-off anytime soon).

Well, this continuous signup thread just got confusing :lol:

So, we have past signups, which spawned the Trainer's Manual Mafia III which is happening / just happened

----

TMM III

1. Psychosmurf

2. Akriti

3. Kokiri971

4. Auramyna

5. Chaits

6. Yodell

7. --not a newbie--

8. kristamark1

----

And we have new signups for a new Trainer's Manual Mafia ...

1. Hidden G - after the 14th of june

2. flamebirde

3. JaneDoe23

EDIT: Which anyone who is a newbie to Mafia is encouraged to join and anyone who still feels he/she wants to play can join as backup first, and will get thrown in after a certain number of newbies (say at least 6) join.

Edited by araver

yep i'm IN after that day ,but will i miss the start of the game ,or from now until then it won't have started yet?

No game is going to be started, unless there are at least 8, better 10 people signing up for one.

I added the date/restriction so that people can warn of inactivity beforehand ... the game is started only after all are available ;)

I will play as a player, an inactivity backup or a guide/trainer if any newer players feel they would like one. (i know I'm not as experienced as many others but I have a pretty decent handle on things.)

When the time comes, just slot me in wherever I'm required.

Past signups, which spawned the Trainer's Manual Mafia III which is happening / just happened

----

TMM III

1. Psychosmurf

2. Akriti

3. Kokiri971

4. Auramyna

5. Chaits

6. Yodell

7. --not a newbie--

8. kristamark1

----

Signups for a new Trainer's Manual Mafia ... which will be called Trainer's Manual Mafia IV.

Anyone who is a newbie to Mafia is encouraged to join and anyone who has played before but still feels he/she wants to play can join as backup first, and will get thrown in after a certain number of newbies (say at least 6) join.

Signups: (Newbies)

2. flamebirde - after the 16th of june

3. JaneDoe23

Backups (people that have played before)

1. KlueMaster

2. Anon26

3. Auramyna

Signups for Trainer's Manual Mafia IV:

Host: Araver

Co-host: ... pending ...

Newbies

2. flamebirde - ready to go on the 16th

3. JaneDoe23

4. good22

Backups (people that have played before)

1. KlueMaster

2. Anon26

3. Auramyna

4. ..

Fixing the signups by re adding those that signed up as backups. This will hopefully be a 10-player Mafia.

Anyone who is a newbie to Mafia is encouraged to join and anyone who has played before but still feels he/she wants to play can join as backup first, and will get thrown in after a certain number of newbies (at least 6) join.

Edited by araver