BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A man goes to te store and buys a girl mouse. Momma mice can have 27 children a month and the mice mature in 13 days. At the end of the year how many mature mice does he have

How long is the gestation period for these mice? Are we to assume when a female mouse reaches maturity she has already been impregnated and bears her young on the day she reaches maturity? Is a month to be considered exactly 30 days?

One. After the twelfth day, the girl mouse has matured, but without the seed of a male mouse she can not bear any mice.

One, or even zero if the mouse doesn't live longer than a year (considering the 13days maturity time). Except if the first little girl mouse finds a way to clone herself!

A man goes to te store and buys a girl mouse. Momma mice can have 27 children a month and the mice mature in 13 days. At the end of the year how many mature mice does he have

There are only one male and one female creature available in the house. Hence, the creation of First in line series of Man-Mouse(Manouse).

sorry. Every other month month 13 are men and 14 are female. it swiches 14 men 13 female

He buys them on january 1st

I believe, Max423, you meant 13 are male and 14 are female. It would be miraculous, if not nearly so, if a mouse could gestate a human being.

You also state "He buys them on january 1st". 'Them' is a plural pronoun, yet you initially indicated he purchased only one mouse. Did he actually purchase two mice - one female, one male? Or, assuming 'them' is proper and only the female was purchased, are you implying the female mouse is already impregnated and gestating her offspring. If so, then we must assume that maturity and the ability to have offspring for these mice are not the same. At what age, then, are the female mice bearing their young?

i prefer 0 because i dont think mice live for long

The average lifespan of a pet mouse is about 1.5 to 2 years. The offspring of a house mouse is 19 to 21 days after mating and it takes 6 to 10 weeks for one to mature. Therefore, the mice in this given puzzle are not your average mice, yet I would assume the mice here do not die within the year.

One, or even zero if the mouse doesn't live longer than a year (considering the 13days maturity time). Except if the first little girl mouse finds a way to clone herself!

Remember he said, "A man goes to te store and buys a girl mouse." Provided he fed this GIRL mouse and tended to it well, there is only going to be ONE mouse! (Zero if the mouse died.)

However, not that fast, when all you buy is one girl mouse. He still has the 1 mouse at the end of the year. He should have bought at least one male mouse as well if we wanted them to procreate.

Actually, I don't think it is a serious puzzle, as the guy bought 1 and only 1 female mouse(whiich can not impregnate itself), and there is no mention whether the mouse was pregnant or not. The answer may probably be 1 at last.

There is a wrinkle here that hasn't been brought up.

What if said mouse is pregnant *BEFORE* he buys her. the answer is not cut and dried

I agree with Singerbear, however,

Ecce Eduardus Ursus, nunc descendentes gradus tump, tump, tump, ad occipitio, Cristoferum Robinum post

If we assume each female mice are pregnant at birth, gestate for 13 days before giving birth to their first litter, then every 30 days complete birthing a new litter of 27 pups, at the end of the year there would be 27 generations of mice that would reach maturity.

With the accelerated maturity rate, short gestation period, large and frequent litters [alternating 13 female, 14 male -- 14 female, 13 male] , yet, with none of the mice dying earlier than the average lifespan of a real house mouse (1.5 to 2 years), the number of mice grows exponentially. The total number of mice of the first six generations that would reach maturity would total a population of 140,567,978,929,681 mice. After 27 generations, the offspring population of the purchased female mouse would surpass ninety novemdecillion.

Edited by Dej Mar

The average lifespan of a pet mouse is about 1.5 to 2 years. The offspring of a house mouse is 19 to 21 days after mating and it takes 6 to 10 weeks for one to mature. Therefore, the mice in this given puzzle are not your average mice, yet I would assume the mice here do not die within the year.

He bought only one girl mouse. How can only one mouse mate!!!!

He bought only one girl mouse. How can only one mouse mate!!!!

The reply was in reference to the reason why the answer would be one, not zero. And yet, except indirectly by posting the answer as one, Max did not answer my reply to his post

He buys them on january 1st

which could imply he purchased more than one mouse. And two mature mice -- one male and one female -- usually can mate!!!!