BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

grey cells

Question

A husband and wife have been happily married for many years . One not-so-fine day , the wife shoots her husband , drowns him in water and then hangs him. But 20 minutes later, the neighbours see them hand-in-hand , happily going for an evening out. How is this possible??? <ahttp://brainden.com/forum/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png' alt=';)'>

think about him.

17 answers to this question

A husband and wife have been happily married for many years . One not-so-fine day , the wife shoots her husband , drowns him in water and then hangs him. But 20 minutes later, the neighbours see them hand-in-hand , happily going for an evening out. How is this possible??? <ahttp://brainden.com/forum/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png' alt=';)'>
think about him.

Sounds a bit like the process of developing a photo.

Or... she shoots him with a camera, then proceeds to drown her actual husband and hang him. But the neighbours see the picture, which is of them hand-in-hand, going out.

Sounds a bit like the process of developing a photo.

Or... she shoots him with a camera, then proceeds to drown her actual husband and hang him. But the neighbours see the picture, which is of them hand-in-hand, going out.

congrats , Seventh Sage . Proceed with your first course of thinking.

I like the idea of the puzzle, but I have a problem with it. I did think of ...

... the shooting being of a photo, but I couldn't figure out how she proceeded to drown him, since that means killing by suffocation under water, which is kinda hard to do to film.

I like the idea of the puzzle, but I have a problem with it. I did think of ...

... the shooting being of a photo, but I couldn't figure out how she proceeded to drown him, since that means killing by suffocation under water, which is kinda hard to do to film.

i think what grey cells means by drowning is holding under water for a long period of time, not just to humans

confirm plz grey cells

I think a puzzle should not be too precise in its content otherwise it would´nt be a puzzle, a puzzle needs to mentally tease and invoke arguement as well as agreement with its solution, as is the case with this puzzle. However, I will not drown my sorrows worrying about it. I´d rather drown a good bottle of beer.

A very close friend of mine (an inmate of a mental institution) was praised for preventing a fellow inmate from drowning in a bath tub, unfortuanately a short while later the inmate choked to death. Why?

My friend hung him out to dry

However, I will not drown my sorrows worrying about it. I´d rather drown a good bottle of beer.

I know I'm just nitpicking, but ... don't you mean that you will not kill your sorrows by drinking alcohol? And, incidentally, I believe that you "down a bottle of beer," not drown it. I agree that there can be latitude for interpretation without ruining a puzzle, but when a word or phrase is used carelessly or inaccurately it can make the experience less enjoyable and open to unnecessary disagreement.

Edited by Duh Puck

i think what grey cells means by drowning is holding under water for a long period of time, not just to humans

confirm plz grey cells

Sorry for the delay.Yes what you suggest was in my mind.I know that there is a difference between holding a person underwater and his photo.The expression DROWNING was put there in the puzzle to make it a little bit more complicated.

Duh puck,

I understand what you are saying.That is the reason I had given a clue(spoiler)[think about HIM]

Him

–pronoun

1. the objective case of he, used as a direct or indirect object: I'll see him tomorrow. Give him the message.

2. Informal. (used instead of the pronoun he in the predicate after the verb to be): It's him. It isn't him.

3. Informal. (used instead of the pronoun his before a gerund): We were surprised by him wanting to leave.

–noun

4. Informal. a male: Is the new baby a her or a him?

Might help. Im not sure yet if It will.

think about him.

The wife was taking a photo of her husband.If we stuck with that,that you can't use for photo "him",simply "him" doesn't refer to her husband."Him" may be name.That means she tooks photo of her husband and drowns and hangs another person named Him.

The wife was taking a photo of her husband.If we stuck with that,that you can't use for photo "him",simply "him" doesn't refer to her husband."Him" may be name.That means she tooks photo of her husband and drowns and hangs another person named Him.

I understand what you mean . But usually in the language of english, a pronoun(in this case him) is used immediately after the noun(husband).

And as to referring to the husband's photograph as him , it is a case of anology which is commonly used in puzzles. If I had not used that anology , there would be no puzzle in this case. :)

I know I'm just nitpicking, but ... don't you mean that you will not kill your sorrows by drinking alcohol? And, incidentally, I believe that you "down a bottle of beer," not drown it. I agree that there can be latitude for interpretation without ruining a puzzle, but when a word or phrase is used carelessly or inaccurately it can make the experience less enjoyable and open to unnecessary disagreement.

I once requested the British Navy Hydrographic Department to confirm the pronunciation of a town name, on two charts of different scale the town was spelt differently . They replied "It depends what school you went to" ; the town , in Syria, was Sh´it or Sh´ite.