BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

UN Mafia II

araver

I also think "hints" help the baddies more since there are more eyes looking. Goodies are more likely to miss then IMO.

I am thinking I should have waited until D2. I was hoping the info might help some goodies with actions N2 and figured the baddies knew most of the same info I already did. They also knew Solman was a goodie and Hirkala's comment hinted to Spain as the result covering what I actually knew for sure.

The gamble is did the baddies miss the hints or not. I felt I had to assume not.

Yup, this is a misconception IMHO on what "hints" are or how hints should be.

If I say something which references subtly a Movie, a Beverage, an expression, basically any cultural stuff, then IT IS OUT THERE for everyone to see. Everyone should be looking for those thing. Baddies are forced to look, they need to know who to kill, and even if 1 or 2 are inactive or misses it, one of them usually sees it. Also, there is a nasty side-effect if you play for people all over the world, they may not have the same cultural background as you do, and they might miss it altogether.

Clever hints are those which can only mean something to the people that have an extra shared information. I agree, this is not always available, but when it is possible, it has great impact. E.g. Being a spy and signaling yourself to another goodie that you know his role WITHOUT the others (including baddies) getting it AND WITHOUT exposing yourself too much (i.e. the info does not out you as being the spy) ... that is a hint and that is clever Mafia play. Again, I know, not always possible. But this should be searched for first. Not as a defense from being lynched, but as a means to get info out in the open without others picking it up.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I succeeded with what I was trying to do up to a point.

I do not know what WIFOM or hints I could have given that would have ended with knowing who everyone was end of D2. I thought trapping myself would keep the goodies focused on the baddies ensuring a win.

If Hirkala didn't come up with lets all abstain then the baddies could have been easily dealt with regardless of them having just met their wincons.

There is also the problem of activity. WIFOM or hints do nothing if your target isn't on enough to do much about it. If there isn't enough interaction then you will not know if what you did was working. The surest way to get a response is to be upfront about it so that when they are on they do something.

Oh yeah curr one more thing. You didn't play that way in Minecraft. So if you want to keep playing know that that style will get you killed N1 when you aren't a baddie and lynched D1 when you are a baddie and don't play that way.

@Mo: Sorry for lynching you, bro. It wasn't a betrayal or anything like that. I hadn't yet read the plan in BTSC to switch to curr. I finished typing the Serial Killer post then came over here. After catching up with all the day votes, it was about 5 mins (maybe less) til the end of the day. I thought I still had an hour, as well. By the time I finished reading the BTSC plan, I was so upset with myself. =/ I don't think Shad ever showed up...and we would have lynched you and curr (and Shad and I would be out in the open).

Don't hate me, bro. <3

@Mo: Sorry for lynching you, bro. It wasn't a betrayal or anything like that. I hadn't yet read the plan in BTSC to switch to curr. I finished typing the Serial Killer post then came over here. After catching up with all the day votes, it was about 5 mins (maybe less) til the end of the day. I thought I still had an hour, as well. By the time I finished reading the BTSC plan, I was so upset with myself. =/ I don't think Shad ever showed up...and we would have lynched you and curr (and Shad and I would be out in the open).

Don't hate me, bro. <3

I forgave you the moment it happened :wub:

Actions and Secret WinCon's

Actions:

Night 1:

solman - Spain - Send Sweden: "I (Spain) am Thalia. Don't imprison me." Failed (arrested)

Night 2:

solman - Spain - Send China: "Thalia is Spain." Message transmitted successfully.

Care to explain why you were impersonating me?

That would be counting on Marq not realizing that you would likely choose to move him and Thalia not returning to vote.

If you ganged up on me earlier would Thalia not have voted too? If you waited to the last moment to switch would the goodies still have trusted you enough to abstain?

Why didn't you vote Thalia?

We were all so unsure about who to vote for at that point. I left a post and went off to a class. I was planning to come back and possibly vote but I forgot about youth group. Sorry about that. You survived though. :)

Care to explain why you were impersonating me?

1. I didn't want people to know who I was. Even when I am a goodie, I generally approach mafia assuming that having my identity discovered is a bad thing (the results of this game not withstanding).

2. I didn't identify any other any clearly beneficial options.

3. You are even newer than I am. People are less likely to detect anything in my message that seems wrong BECAUSE I am claiming to be you (although I still didn't expect to be very convincing).