BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

9 answers to this question

My mother sews a lot so has rulers down to mm.

If needed fold or cut the paper and divide by the number of sheets.

Suppose that depends on the average household.

Close, very close...

You have a big supply of paper...

How can you measure the thickness of an ordinary A4 piece of paper with tools available in the average household?

measure the thickness of a stack of 1000 papers or more, then divide whatever u got by the number of paper used.. the larger the stack the more accurate the result.

but since counting 1000 papers is daunting, weigh 100 papers and divide by 100 to get the weight of a single paper (the result here has less error than measuring the length of a stack of 100 papers, assuming u used an accurate enough scale), then get a VERY large stack of A4 papers, weigh them, divide by the weight of a single paper to get the number of papers, say n.. then measure the thickness of the big stack and divide by n.

measure the thickness of a stack of 1000 papers or more, then divide whatever u got by the number of paper used.. the larger the stack the more accurate the result.

but since counting 1000 papers is daunting, weigh 100 papers and divide by 100 to get the weight of a single paper (the result here has less error than measuring the length of a stack of 100 papers, assuming u used an accurate enough scale), then get a VERY large stack of A4 papers, weigh them, divide by the weight of a single paper to get the number of papers, say n.. then measure the thickness of the big stack and divide by n.

For a generous interpretation of 'tools in the average household'

Turn on the computer. Go to google and type 'thickness of A4 of paper'.

Alternatively, go to the phone and call 411. Or simply call any printing shop and ask.

If we don't have a large supply of paper, one way is to cut the paper into thin rectangular strip. Roll the strip into a cylindrical roll like the following image (except that you'll have no hole in the center). Measure the radius of the roll and you can easily solve for the thickness.

post-14842-019390800 1302131718.jpg

Edited by bushindo

Easy One Stack the papers until they reach the height of something you already know, like the cellotape i have in my kitchen drawer is 40mm thick, then divide by how many sheets,

Measure a ream of paper with a standard 12" ruler and divide by 500? or however many are in a ream?

Correct answer...

For a generous interpretation of 'tools in the average household'

Turn on the computer. Go to google and type 'thickness of A4 of paper'.

Alternatively, go to the phone and call 411. Or simply call any printing shop and ask.

If we don't have a large supply of paper, one way is to cut the paper into thin rectangular strip. Roll the strip into a cylindrical roll like the following image (except that you'll have no hole in the center). Measure the radius of the roll and you can easily solve for the thickness.

post-14842-019390800 1302131718.jpg

Funny answer...

I agree the above mentioned answers

1st:- Take 1000papers

2nd:- measure up to the mark

3rd:- divide the unit by 1000

and you are done

the best answer according to me is of Bushindo's :lol: :lol: :lol:

How can you measure the thickness of an ordinary A4 piece of paper with tools available in the average household?

I just tested this new strategy. It works very well. Again, a generous interpretation of 'tools in the average household' is required.

Take out your wallet. Remove a 5 dollar bill. Locate a niece/nephew and say 'Dear niece/nephew, I will give you this 5 dollar bill if you can tell me what is the thickness of an A4 piece of paper using the tools in the average household." Watch in amusement as niece/nephew scamper away to work on the problem.

If your household does not have any niece/nephew, free free to replace them with spouses, children, grandparents, neighbors, etc.

If you have more than one niece/nephew, you may remain impartial, and at the same time foster a healthy spirit of competition, by saying "I will give this 5 dollar bill to the first person who correctly tells me the thickness of an A4 piece of paper using the tools in the average household.".

Edited by bushindo