BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

you ride a horse at 10 miles per hour due north. your friend travels at 20 MPH on a horse due south. If you both collide with each other at 11 pm, who will die first?

24 answers to this question

you ride a horse at 10 miles per hour due north. your friend travels at 20 MPH on a horse due south. If you both collide with each other at 11 pm, who will die first?

for those moving at higher speeds, time is moving slower. so theoretically, the one moving at 10 miles per hour will die first.

due north and due south---neither will collide no matter who is going 10 mph or 20 mph.

It says IF you collide, so you cannot use that as an answer.

Edited by typodestoyer

Well, you would. Because you are RIDING the horse, and he is only TRAVELLING on it. Which means his horse is probably standing on top of an Abrams tank (because thats how horses normally get around.)

Whats has 11PM got to do with it?

It depends on all sorts of variables this does including safety gear and physical state of each rider plus how bad the collisons is

The sound of the collision will die out first

You did what, not who. No, this puzzle is not a metaphor.

Is the one who first stops living.

What is this supposed to mean? Look at the question. It says "Who will die first?"

Yes, horses count as a "who" because they are alive.

e.g. "Who made this mess?

"Dude (the dog) did!"

[spoiler=I guess I'll take another run at it :)]I think your friend would. The horse would probably have enough sense to stop sooner, but he/she would be thrown farther thanks to the higher speed. But something tells me you're looking for something a bit more abstract, and yet also definite since you didn't like my last answer...

Obviously my friend.

Because I am still answering your question.

Neither will die, because we are jousting.

If you were jousting, wouldn't your lances collide, not you. I LOVE this answer, it's just that I'm a Precision Nazi and I am a literalist as well. This is most likely the intention, but...

I think rlgandy is correct... but...

The one who'd die is the one who stretches his lance the farthest

Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Edited by typodestoyer

may i know what time did you and your friend bound north and south?

the first one to die first would be the horse of your friend since the horse is exhausted from travelling 20mph. If ever you collide by 11pm, the horse is exhausted and barely breathing thus after collision, the horse collapse dead on the spot. your horse will not die of exhaustion for your horse travel only 10miles.

Edited by Ranchoddas Chanchad