BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

peace*out

Question

8 answers to this question

The first part of their own disclaimer:

Disclaimer:

DON'T BELIEVE A DAMN WORD YOU READ ON THIS WEBSITE!

The reader is responsible for discerning the validity, factualityor implications of information posted here, be it fictional or based on real events. Moderators on this forum make everyeffort to review the material posted on this site however, it is not realistically possible for our small staff to manuallyreview each and every one of the more than 20,000 posts GodlikeProductions gets on a daily basis.

etc. etc.

I am skeptical. Has this ever been independently proven? if this is true, that would be quite odd. But I don't know. A random generator? Seems a bit fishy. And I can't find anything else on the internet (I'm not looking extremely hard, I'll admit, since I'm a bit busy, but still....)

Edited by gvg

The first part of their own disclaimer:

Disclaimer:

DON'T BELIEVE A DAMN WORD YOU READ ON THIS WEBSITE!

The reader is responsible for discerning the validity, factualityor implications of information posted here, be it fictional or based on real events. Moderators on this forum make everyeffort to review the material posted on this site however, it is not realistically possible for our small staff to manuallyreview each and every one of the more than 20,000 posts GodlikeProductions gets on a daily basis.

etc. etc.

I am skeptical. Has this ever been independently proven? if this is true, that would be quite odd. But I don't know. A random generator? Seems a bit fishy. And I can't find anything else on the internet (I'm not looking extremely hard, I'll admit, since I'm a bit busy, but still....)

I heard about it from the guy working at the snack bar at my school...and apparently, he heard about it though a TV show who did a report on it...

ill try to find better links...

more links:

--> a forum asking about it. not very reliable, but it shows its not a "one article" thing... http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread184769/pg1

--> another article http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/126649/can_this_black_box_see_into_the_future/

--> forum article. it gives credit to nasa and seems to be a ctrl-c article.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I finally found what i was talking about. the above might have been different (i think it was - whoops!!!), but this is what got me interested.

The man at the counter was saying that there was a machine that scanned all types of media looking for common words, and that it predicted a tsunami, and the death count of 9/11. He also said when it was asked to do something involving predicting the future between 2012 and [somewhere around 2045] that it wouldnt do it. I guess I got confused with the above, but im 99% sure this is what he was talking about.

http://netthetruthonline.blogspot.com/2007/03/web-bot-predicts-future-2012.html

ETA: more links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Bot

Edited by peace*out

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Bot

Internet bots monitor news articles, blogs, forums, and other forms of Internet chatter. Words in the lexicon are assigned numeric values for emotional quantifiers such as duration, impact, immediacy, intensity, and others. The lexicon is dynamic, and changes according to shifts in emotional tension, and how humans communicate those changes using the Internet. As of 2008, there were about 300,000 keywords in the lexicon, along with with emotional context indicators[3][4] which are fed into a computer-generated modelspace. They then use a technique called Asymmetric Language Trend Analysis (ALTA) developed by Clif High to generate a predictive report from a fully-populated modelspace.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Number_of_words_in_English

The Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd edition (OED2) includes over 600,000 definitions, following a rather inclusive policy:

It embraces not only the standard language of literature and conversation, whether current at the moment, or obsolete, or archaic, but also the main technical vocabulary, and a large measure of dialectal usage and slang (Supplement to the OED, 1933).[77]

The editors of Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged (475,000 main headwords) in their preface, estimate the number to be much higher. It is estimated that about 25,000 words are added to the language each year.

So... I would guess it is only picking up mostly English words? An algorithm limited to only one language searching only what is posted on the web is able to predict so much? Such hubris. As though the non English speaking word has nothing to do with the future. (Or only the translated text has an effect on the future)

-----

Also from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Bot

Ure and High hypothesize that changes in language precede changes in behavior. This is the basis for attempting to use ALTA as a form of future viewing

... maybe. But what does human behavior have to do with natural disasters or accidents? Or are they hiding the fact that they found Gaia's facebook page?

nah nah nah nah nah nah fishing

nah nah nah nah nah nah fishing

Sorry didnt watch the videos, but from the posts i gather it is a toll out fishing :)

future is unpredictable, if it was predictable, things would be very different.

I can predict with 100% certainty that there will be someone, somewhere, who claims to be able to predict the future with at least 90% probability in the next 2 weeks.

I know I could have said 2 mins or 2 secs but i like a LOT of wiggle room :)

You do realize that that video set all of its predictions for late 2009 and early 2010?

It's the 4th of April 2011.

And... it hasn't happened.

Would it ever? Wouldn't surprise me. What he said about the Fed and the Owners is common knowledge to those who actually think.

Straight from the mouth of George Carlin: "The country was bought and paid for long ago." Hell, it's probably not just the US, but I can't say anything for other nations.

Overall, though, it sounds like a lot of scare tactic BS. I am still skeptical.

Everything is possible, even the paranormal. I don't believe it, random probability can show one in every thousand event just right with numbers. Besides, if it did originally predict it, couldn't it have done some things to stop the terrible events?