BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Hoeflin's Object I.

Hoeflin's Object I. - Back to the Geometry Puzzles

Several identical cubes are fused together to form a solid object. Given the following five external views of such an object, draw the sixth external view. Clockwise or counterclockwise rotations of the sixth view are acceptable, but a mirror image (the sixth side as viewed from inside the solid) is not acceptable.

post-2-1175340722_thumbgif

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Hoeflin's Object I. - solution

post-2-1175340741_thumbgif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Hoeflin's Object I. - Back to the Geometry Puzzles

Several identical cubes are fused together to form a solid object. Given the following five external views of such an object, draw the sixth external view. Clockwise or counterclockwise rotations of the sixth view are acceptable, but a mirror image (the sixth side as viewed from inside the solid) is not acceptable.

post-2-1175340722_thumbgif

Hoeflin's Object I. - solution

post-2-1175340741_thumbgif

i still dont get it :(

each image (5 in all) shows 1 of 6 sides of an object

lets label these and look at the rotation (which might be what is throwing you off)

this first one will be the right side of the object (the objects right not your perception of right)

the second we will call the front (it has been rotated 180 degrees to confuse you, but it's the only way it fits)

the third image would be the back (nothing appears to have been done to it's orientation)

the forth image is the top (basically look at the first image and imagine standing up and looking down on the object without moving around it)

the fifth and final image is the bottom (exact opposite of the forth, we are simply ducking down and looking at the bottom from under a glass table)

if we use image one as the right side and address the object as being oriented in this fashion then we simply rotate the solution 90 degrees clock wise to line it up

working in 3d modeling as a hobby helps with object recognition and orientation of drawn objects like this

Here is perhaps an more easily understood solution, including both the original problem and an isometric view done in Excel (what else?).

Note that the colored bars point in the "positive" direction noted, while the solution is as if you were looking from the given axis towards the origin.

Also my solution is rotated from the one posted earlier, but still the same shape.

post-19375-1245769430.jpg