BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Correspondence Synonomous

plainglazed

Question

Find a synonym for each word of the two word clues that together result in a recognizable two word answer where each of those words are in some sense synynomous to each other.

for example - Recognize Surroundings --> Place Setting

Support Position

Ring Prediction

Jealous Nut

Part Proof

Spring Initiation

Waste Away

Tolerates Winning

Stuck With

Expired Account

Clean Sweep

• Answers 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

CUT SCORE - a point on a score scale in which scores at or above the point are in a different category or classification than scores below the point (e.g. pass versus fail)

[reference the link: http://www.ventureline.com/accounting-glossary/c/cut-score-definition/ ]

CUT = PART [quota; bite; slice; ...]

SCORE = PROOF [written account (informal)]

CUT = SCORE [mark; nick]

Edited by Dej Mar

CUT SCORE - a point on a score scale in which scores at or above the point are in a different category or classification than scores below the point (e.g. pass versus fail)

[reference the link: http://www.ventureline.com/accounting-glossary/c/cut-score-definition/ ]

CUT = PART [quota; bite; slice; ...]

SCORE = PROOF [written account (informal)]

CUT = SCORE [mark; nick]

definitely makes all the synonomous connections. am looking for answer pairs that are slightly more familiar in todays lexicon.

YOUNG OFFSPRING

RAW = YOUNG (inexperienced)

FRUIT = OFFSPRING ([archaic definition])

YOUNG = OFFSPRING (children)

would say this one qualifies as an alternative. especially since I kind of bungled this one myself.

Donno if it's been guessed, but Half Truth to close this one out?

EDIT: Rofl. It was guessed. It's good to know that Past Molly and Present Molly think alike.

well then i guess i will have to say still not it. thanks for the bump tho.

@pg Is that something that everyone should know? :unsure:

are you asking about the hint or the original clue?

re the hint - the first part (710) is less familiar but someone already got that part of the hint; and the second part (104) i would think is common - its all in how you say it for both parts.

as for the answer itself - i do think it is a fairly common phrase but i guess maybe not as much as most of the other answers.

... mayyyyybe

To proof something is to screen it for typos, so maybe... split-screen?

ooh, close. do see the connection between the two words in your answer - as in to separate different (sized) items of a group. probably a worthy alternative but not my intended. does give each line an answer but will leave this one open a tad longer before marking as solved.

Awrite Wilson - and very happy and healthy New Year wishes to you as well. That is indeed the answer I had in mind.

...by example: "Good Evening, my name is Alfred and I'll be your waiter tonight. Would you care for a split check or should I put this all on one tab?" have to admit spending too much time going out so maybe not the most common phrase. as for the check part; "the ends of the freshly hewn timbers will certainly check if left out in this dry heat." and finally, 104 or "ten four"; a phase of affirmation and acknowledgement like "landing gear engaged?" "Check."

Support Position/Instant Location - Second Place by fabpig or Stand Erect by Dej Mar

Ring Prediction - Round About by tiger_lily111 or Phone Call by fabpig

Jealous Nut / Raw Fruit - Base Camp by Wilson or Green Olive by fabpig

Part Proof / 710 (seven ten) 104 (ten four) - Split Screen by WithchOfDoubt or Split Check by Wilson

Spring Initiation - Jump Start - by Framm18

Waste Away - Blow Out by EDM or Kill Off by Dej Mar

Tolerates Winning - Stands Up by fabpig

Stuck With - Joined Together by fabpig

Expired Account - Dead End by benjer3 or Past History by tiger_lily111

Clean Sweep - Scrub Brush - by plasmid

and @ plasmid - cant quite make a strong enough synonomous connection between the parts of your answer. always know when a clue isn't so great when it's still guessed at after the answer. sorry 'bout that but thanks to all for staying with it. be back soon.