BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pinocchio paradox

Question

9 answers to this question

The Pinocchio paradox has a simple solution.

To help everyone out Pinocchio had a condition where his nose would grow if he told a lie.

The paradox which OP failed to present is that Pinocchio states that his nose will grow.

If Pinocchio's nose grows when he believes he is lying then he will be surprised every time he makes said statement as the result will be the opposite of his beliefs weather he knows them or not. If the cause of his nose growth is that he is omniscient and will grow whenever he lies than the solution is just as simple and that is that his nose would grow as any other result would break the paradoxical limits because it is never stated that Pinocchio's nose does not grow unless he tells a lie.

There is a popular conception that Pinocchio's nose grows only when he lies. Under this condition, the Pinocchio Paradox is an analogy for the liar paradox, expressing the dilemma of what will happen if Pinocchio says "My nose will grow now." If he is lying, his nose should grow, but if his nose grows, then he is actually telling the truth. On the other hand, if he is telling the truth and his nose starts growing, then it will violate the condition that his nose grows when he is lying.

Assume the sentence: "My nose grows now" is true:

Which means that Pinocchio's nose grows now because he truthfully says it is, but then

Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because according to the novel it grows only as Pinocchio lies, but then

Pinocchio's nose grows now because Pinocchio's nose does not grow now, and Pinocchio trustfully says it grows now, and it is false, that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be false, but then

Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because Pinocchio's nose grows now, and Pinocchio trustfully says it grows now, and it is true that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be true, but then

And so on ad infinitum.

Assume the sentence: "My nose grows now" is false:

Which means that Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because he falsely says it is, but then

Pinocchio's nose grows now because according to the novel it grows only as Pinocchio lies, but then

Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because Pinocchio's nose grows now, and Pinocchio falsely says it grows now, and it is false that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be true, but then

Pinocchio's nose grows now because Pinocchio's nose does not grow now, and Pinocchio falsely says it grows now, and it is true, that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be false, but then

And so on ad infinitum.

Three conditions must be met for an actual lie to occur: existence of the lie, awareness of the lie, AND intent to lie. To break the paradox, perhaps Pinocchio should simply fail to meet one of the conditions. When the nose grows, he wouldn't have told the direct truth to have gotten the nose to grow; however, he would have made a statement that didn't fully qualify as a lie. For example, let's say he makes the statement, "My nose will grow," but speaks with blatant sarcasm. The first two conditions were met; however, he wouldn't have ever intended for the listener to believe the statement. The nose would eventually have grown without our puppet having told the truth. Keep in mind that--as with other solutions--one need not change Pinocchio's statement to a variant of "My nose will grow now."

Edited by Valic4

Curtesy of Wikipedia "To lie is to state something with disregard to the truth with the intention that people will accept the statement as truth".

So one can lie without knowing what they say is a lie if they make their statement without knowing the truth as long as they make their statement without knowing it as truth and the statement turns out to be false which cycles back to my earlier comment.

False statements and lies are not the same thing. Whereas false statements are simply inaccuracies ("My nose will grow now" is incorrect), lies must meet the three conditions mentioned before: existence, awareness, AND intent ("My nose will grow now" is not a lie if Pinocchio fails to meet all three conditions for a lie). Wikipedia's definition confirms the three conditions : "...to state something..." defines existence of the statement; "...disregard to the truth..." defines active awareness of the statement; and "...with the intention that people will accept the statement as truth" defines the intent of the statement. Our puppet says, "My nose will grow," but either speaks with blatant sarcasm (third condition not met--he wouldn't have ever intended for the listener to believe the statement) or speaks with no awareness (second condition not met--he either does not know he said it or does not believe the nose will not grow). Whatever the nose does or whatever he had said, Pinocchio will not either have lied (existence, awareness, and intent to lie) or have told the truth (existence, awareness, and intent to tell the truth). At closest, our puppet will have been inaccurate and/or silly. I believe the paradox will have been broken.

just wondering people i have this assignment in math and the thing is what did pinocchio say to his barber and everyone keeps saying chizel a little off the top please and is there another answer cause that one dosnt work for mine? plzzzzzzzzzzz someone help because no on can get it here either thank you.!

Edited by kkforevs