BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

OmegaScales

Question

*ALL NAMES AND LOCATIONS ARE A PRODUCT OF MY IMAGINATION. ANY RESEMBLANCE OR MENTION TO ANYONE IN REAL LIFE, LIVING OR DEAD, IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.*

“Well, what should I do? I have a month off, and I’m not allowed to investigate that discovery. I suppose I could take an actual vacation for once… if that’s possible.” Every vacation you, Leslie Young, have ever had, even as a child, had ended up as an investigation of some sort. From catching a kidnapper by letting them “kidnap” you to simply finding a rich family’s lost exotic pet, you never once had just been able to relax while on vacation. So you call up a friend to fly you down to the Caribbean on his private jet.

“Thanks for this Mike. I really need a vacation.”

“No problem. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you, and it’s always nice to see you. However, trouble seems to follow you, if you know what I mean.”

“Ha, ha. I’m hoping to get ahead of it, at least for a little while. I haven’t been able to plan a vacation for over four years now. The closest to a vacation I’ve had since then is resting in my office.”

“Wow! You REALLY need this!” The two of you laugh until a loud ‘BANG!’ is heard and the jet starts a nosedive. Mike runs up to the cockpit and manages to get the pilots to pull it into a crash course with a nearby island’s mountain. Another loud 'BANG!' is heard. He and the pilots come into the back and grab parachutes. “The engines blew up!” he says. Mike tosses one to you, which you put on. When all of you are in the air, he motions to a village before pulling his cord. You pull your cord, but a sudden gust pushes you to the other side of the island. You hear a tearing sound, and notice you are falling faster. Part of the parachute falls on front of you, so you look up. A large bird has flown away with a large piece of the parachute in its talons. You look down and see a large tree below you. A few broken branches later, you come to a stop. You think you hear someone yelling, and you look down at the ground. A group of people are gathered around the tree, and a ladder lands on the tree next to your head. You pass out.

As you start to come to, you hear several hospital noises. You hear heels coming into your room, and suddenly see a very bright light. You tilt your head away and close your eyes. You manage to make out a few words of what the woman is saying. “You… a fall. Are… feeling better?” You blink few times and try to say something, but you can’t hear what you are saying. You hear her laugh, and notice her sit down on the other side of the room. After a few minutes, everything has cleared up. “Can you hear me now?” she says.

“Yeah. Where am I?”

“The island of Barrio del Sol. It’s a little island that gets sun all year round. The literal translation is-“

“‘Neighborhood of the sun’. It’s Spanish. I remember a gale blowing me away from my friend and the pilots. Which side of the island am I on?”

“Well there is only one hospital on this island. This is next to the west coast, the opposite side you came from. You only got bruised from the fall, so you are able to leave as soon as you feel better… Um…”

“Is something wrong?”

“It’s just… you’re a detective, right? That’s what your ID says.”

“Yes I am. I suppose you need to investigate something or something’s missing or whatever?”

“Heh heh… The island’s artifact has been stolen. Normally I’m not supposed to tell anyone, but the elder heard about you and asked me to talk to you about it. We know the culprit is someone on the island, and that there are several people who have reason to steal it. I don’t know the names of these people, but the elder will tell you if decide to help.”

“… Well what’s a vacation without investigating something, huh?” You chuckle to yourself.

After you discharge yourself from the hospital, Maria, the doctor you talked with, directs you to the elder’s house. Before you stands a wrinkled old man with a large colorful staff. “Detective, come in.” You follow him in, and take some tea when he offers you some. “This is an herbal tea that will help with the pain. I hope you are tough, as the ones who may have stolen the artifact are violent. I wish to test your mettle before you start, including your ability to gather information. So what knowledge do you require before heading out, hm?”

• Answers 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Looking over everything is a benefit you have, unlike if you were actually in her position. Use that to your advantage.

Note: You can’t retire from being “the elder”. The title goes to the eldest resident of a village or such, and stays with them until they die.

Dr. Maria tells you that you should stay in the hospital for the night, to make sure the wound doesn’t reopen. You start talking to the elder. At first you talk about what you know so far, and a little about personal life. Then you start cranking up the questions. “How does this elder thing work? I mean, I know it’s whoever is eldest, but if you die or get to a point where you can’t even speak, who’s going to do the ritual?”

“Well, that would be the next oldest resident, my half-sister. She is almost 88 and as healthy as I, if not healthier. She practices the ritual with me, so she can take over as soon as I die. And if I ever do get to ‘that point’, I will have the good doctor here put me out of my misery.”

review nina's medical records and the security tapes. The elder always has so much to talk about! How does he get his information?

ask Dr. Maria if she's dating anyone

Edited by mirandarball

You ask the elder how he gets all his information and how he gets it so quickly. “I hear things that not everyone does, and I can piece together the things that have no apparent connection with these things. It takes practice to do this, since you can’t just assume you are right. You need to go over everything again and again from different perspectives before you get the truth, but you might sometimes miss a view, and that can affect the entire story.”

You ask Dr. Maria to bring Nina’s medical files, and also if she can get the security tapes from your bag. [i know I never said anything about her having a bag before, but what kind of detective wouldn’t have something to carry evidence around in?] She puts in the videos, which you quickly watch. You only see Nina near any exit a few times, and she just passes right by. You also get the idea to check if she used the phone, but she didn’t even touch one. When Dr. Maria gets back with Nina’s medical files, you look them over. There are five cases of the animals attacking her, which seems kind of strange, since she is a genius. One of the notes on the fifth incident report claims she said that she didn’t want to give up trying to study the animals, but was talked out of it by a visiting scientist.

“Dr. Maria, I heard you were dating someone. Is that true?”

“Emanuel Rodríguez. Why do you ask?”

manny is one of the suspects. what can you tell me about him? ask the elder about the visiting scientist. this is the second time we've heard about him.

Edited by mirandarball

The scientist is a different one. The first mentioned was a volcanologist, this second one a zoologist.

“Manny is a suspect. I know it’s uncomfortable for you, but what can you tell me about him?”

The elder is staring at her, surprised. “Well, he is very nice, but he easily loses his temper. I’m not exactly sure what else to say about him. Could you be more specific, please?”

ask dr. maria if she has an alibi for manny for the last week. do you think he's capable of stealing the staff if yes, do you think he did it? why or why not. what do you think of the animals on the island?

“Well, do you think he’s capable of stealing the staff?”

She smiles. “He can take on the animals no problem, but he wouldn’t steal the staff.”

“Why not? He could have taken it to sell for a pretty hefty amount of money, right? One of the things he loves most?”

“Yes, but he also loves me. He stopped fighting for a month to prove it. He even bought me some very expensive things with the money he saved up. He had talked about taking the staff for a while, but I made him promise that he wouldn’t. Is that enough proof for you?”

You smile and ask another question. “Almost. Does Manny have any alibi for the week?”

“He was here for two days from multiple gunshot wounds, and I also nursed him out of house for three more days. The other two days I stayed at his place because my house caught fire. I accidently left a stove burner on when I went out and I had a candle lit in the bathroom, so when the gas met the flames…”

“Mm, that doesn’t sound good, but at least you get to spend more time with hiim. So, what exactly is up with the animals?”

“Oh, you mean him fighting them? Manny is one of if not the strongest on the island. He can take on the jungle cats, boars, and any other animal or even a pack of animals alone. Well, almost any. There is this one falcon that is much bigger than normal that he can’t even take down with the other top fighters. It really irritates him that he can’t win against it.”

Five men come in. They introduce themselves as the bodyguards Leo told you of. You look at the elder for confirmation. He nods. You ask them about the week in question, and they tell you that they stopped Leo from getting away twenty-three times during the week. Before you can ask how they knew to find you here, they tell you that Leo told them about you. You start thinking that they are psychic, and they say that they are not psychic, before you can ask. They really do appear to be psychic, but you see something that tells you how they appear like that.

[Can you guess what she sees? I'll give a hint if you need it, but then they will be gone, and you can't talk with them further.]

glad to see the body guards...was going there next. The falcon definitely has something to do with the case, just not sure what yet. I feel like I'm missing something from before. I've read over everything twice recently (just after waking up in the hospital from the gun shot wound) but I can't seem to see it yet. Something is nagging at me but I don't know what; like there's a huge lead I've completely missed and need to find it before I continue asking more questions. Anyone else have any ideas? I want to go interview nina's boyfriend, then manny, then the last one but I know there are questions to ask the elder, dr. Maria, and the body guards first. HELP!

Aks the body gaurds:

Why are there 5 of them for one man? What did they mean by stopping Leo get away? They mentioned twenty-three times during the week. Was there any corrosponence between these times?

Also, can you tell us what they are wearing?

As you are about to ask another question, the bodyguards, staring through black, custom-made sunglasses and dressed in black suits and ties with white shirts, turn to leave. Each had a different accent, skin color, and slightly different but in-sync professional attitudes.

WIT

They apparently don't want to stick around for more questions, and you need to do something quick. (see )

no, i dont think so, cuz then you would see them talking. maybe theres something hooked up to your brain, and they can guess your thoughts?

You are right on the first part, it is not ear peices.

Your guess, if it is a guess, seems more like a thought. What Leslie sees is on them, not in the room, if that is what you are implying.

I will give 24 hours for everyone who participates to come up with and agree on each guess, since two heads are better than one.

WIT(cont.)

3 guesses left

In a way. One guess left, so here's the hint:

Think about what they are wearing. Where have you seen that before?

WIT(cont.)

Final guess. Remember that you can discuss what you think it is. If I see it anywhere in the discussion, even if it's not the final answer, you get it right.