BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

OmegaScales

Question

*ALL NAMES AND LOCATIONS ARE A PRODUCT OF MY IMAGINATION. ANY RESEMBLANCE OR MENTION TO ANYONE IN REAL LIFE, LIVING OR DEAD, IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.*

“Well, what should I do? I have a month off, and I’m not allowed to investigate that discovery. I suppose I could take an actual vacation for once… if that’s possible.” Every vacation you, Leslie Young, have ever had, even as a child, had ended up as an investigation of some sort. From catching a kidnapper by letting them “kidnap” you to simply finding a rich family’s lost exotic pet, you never once had just been able to relax while on vacation. So you call up a friend to fly you down to the Caribbean on his private jet.

“Thanks for this Mike. I really need a vacation.”

“No problem. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you, and it’s always nice to see you. However, trouble seems to follow you, if you know what I mean.”

“Ha, ha. I’m hoping to get ahead of it, at least for a little while. I haven’t been able to plan a vacation for over four years now. The closest to a vacation I’ve had since then is resting in my office.”

“Wow! You REALLY need this!” The two of you laugh until a loud ‘BANG!’ is heard and the jet starts a nosedive. Mike runs up to the cockpit and manages to get the pilots to pull it into a crash course with a nearby island’s mountain. Another loud 'BANG!' is heard. He and the pilots come into the back and grab parachutes. “The engines blew up!” he says. Mike tosses one to you, which you put on. When all of you are in the air, he motions to a village before pulling his cord. You pull your cord, but a sudden gust pushes you to the other side of the island. You hear a tearing sound, and notice you are falling faster. Part of the parachute falls on front of you, so you look up. A large bird has flown away with a large piece of the parachute in its talons. You look down and see a large tree below you. A few broken branches later, you come to a stop. You think you hear someone yelling, and you look down at the ground. A group of people are gathered around the tree, and a ladder lands on the tree next to your head. You pass out.

As you start to come to, you hear several hospital noises. You hear heels coming into your room, and suddenly see a very bright light. You tilt your head away and close your eyes. You manage to make out a few words of what the woman is saying. “You… a fall. Are… feeling better?” You blink few times and try to say something, but you can’t hear what you are saying. You hear her laugh, and notice her sit down on the other side of the room. After a few minutes, everything has cleared up. “Can you hear me now?” she says.

“Yeah. Where am I?”

“The island of Barrio del Sol. It’s a little island that gets sun all year round. The literal translation is-“

“‘Neighborhood of the sun’. It’s Spanish. I remember a gale blowing me away from my friend and the pilots. Which side of the island am I on?”

“Well there is only one hospital on this island. This is next to the west coast, the opposite side you came from. You only got bruised from the fall, so you are able to leave as soon as you feel better… Um…”

“Is something wrong?”

“It’s just… you’re a detective, right? That’s what your ID says.”

“Yes I am. I suppose you need to investigate something or something’s missing or whatever?”

“Heh heh… The island’s artifact has been stolen. Normally I’m not supposed to tell anyone, but the elder heard about you and asked me to talk to you about it. We know the culprit is someone on the island, and that there are several people who have reason to steal it. I don’t know the names of these people, but the elder will tell you if decide to help.”

“… Well what’s a vacation without investigating something, huh?” You chuckle to yourself.

After you discharge yourself from the hospital, Maria, the doctor you talked with, directs you to the elder’s house. Before you stands a wrinkled old man with a large colorful staff. “Detective, come in.” You follow him in, and take some tea when he offers you some. “This is an herbal tea that will help with the pain. I hope you are tough, as the ones who may have stolen the artifact are violent. I wish to test your mettle before you start, including your ability to gather information. So what knowledge do you require before heading out, hm?”

• Answers 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't know anything about the scar guy...how do I check it out? maybe if i can find it we can discuss from there. oh...it's right at the bottom. I'll check it out. hang on

Edited by mirandarball

wait! they sound like the guys from Men in Black. Maybe they have a memory eraser think like them and can get info like they do in the movie...i don't really remember how the little things work except that they wipe the short term memory. maybe that's how the guy with the scar gets into and out of the rooms seemingly instantaneously!

The Matrix makes the most sense to me, linking it with scar guy--he's got a creepy appearing/disappearing thing that strikes me as matrix-esque (although I will concede I've only seen the first two of those movies); plus that gives a guaranteed explanation--you're in the matrix which means the computer knows your thoughts...

Although part of that could just be that the Matrix is really cool

Maybe they have a memory eraser thing like them and can get info like they do in the movie...

It's called a neuralizer, and they are actually top secret government agents that even the president doesn't know about. Mission Immpossible also has government agents...

I suppose you came close enough. I was actually thinking BADGES that government agents wear. Agents are trained to try to stay ahead of their opponents, so it would make sense that they know what people are thinking, right? Now I know you guys are thinking, "Wait, what? Government agents protecting a gang leader?" or something like that, but remember that the island belongs to no country, meaning it has it's own government system. This means that any country can station an agent there for any reason, even to protect a gang leader.

I need to get to sleep now, so I'll post the next part in about 7-10 hours.

Little late, but here you go.

“Could I see your badges?” The guards, just about to leave, freeze up for a few seconds before turning and showing you their badges. CIA (US), CNI (Spain), Mossad (Israel), ASIO (Australia), and GRU (Russia). “Why are government agents protecting a gang leader?”

The CIA agent responds. “Compromise. We protect each gang leader on the island, and they allow us to run our operations without interference. All other information about our stay here is confidential.”

“Okay, but I do have questions about my case. Answer them quickly and honestly, and you can get back to your operations without me interfering.”

The Mossad agent responds. "Fine. Quickly though.”

EDIT: Focus on asking the agents questions first. They will leave once you ask someone else a question.

Edited by OmegaScales

During the week in question, you guys stopped Leo from running off 23 times. Can you tell me how he tried to get away?

The CNI agent says Nine times, he tried just running away. Five times, he was in a bathroom and tried climbing out a window. Four times, he tried to distract us. Three times, he tried to confuse us. Once, he tried to hide. The final time, he had a very complicated plan that involved the sewer system, ten pounds of cement, a speaker system, motion sensors, and a pack of tissues. It took almost every possible scenario into account. I stress the almost part because we found the blueprints.

Edited by OmegaScales

what do you guys know about the animals on the island? are you or anyone you're associated with watching anyone else who is germane to the case? do you believe that he or nina took the staff? where did you find the blue prints?

“Do you know anything about the animals here?”

The GRU agent stammers “Y-yes. Th-they are af-fected by a c-certain ch-chemical found o-only on th-this island. Th-there is a S-saker Falcon, whose n-nest is b-between the v-volcanoes, that is af-fected by th-this ch-chemical m-more than an-ny other c-creature here. W-we c-cannot t-t-tell you a-anymore th-than that.”

“You guys are only protecting Leo and the other gang heads, right? “

The CNI agent answers. “Affirmative.”

“You don’t know anyone watching the other suspects of my case, if there are any?”

“There are none.”

“You don’t think Nina could have stolen the staff somehow, do you?”

“Negative.”

“I’m just wondering, where did you find those blueprints?”

“We arrived early, and the blueprints were left out in the open.”

He is a suspect, right?

Once you can prove Leo innocent or guilty, he is no longer a suspect. Do you need more evidence? Find it. Can you prove him guilty or innocent? Show me the evidence. [i will be the "judge presiding" (as if I only know what you tell me about the case, and nothing more) if you think you can prove someone guilty or innocent. I will not, however, tell you why I don't think you have sufficient proof if I rule it so.]

“If you had not seen the blueprints, would the plan have worked?”

The ASIO agent replies with a slightly hypnotizing Australian accent. “Taking into account the angle of the sun, the amount of cloud cover, the humidity-“

The CIA agent interrupts him. “John!”

“Sorry. The chance of the plan working at that stage of development and taking other factors into account brings a 48.76% chance of success. It was obvious that he had been working on it for a while, and thought that the plan would work out, though there were still a few things he hadn’t thought to take precautions for. If I were him-“

“John!”

“… Sorry.”

You laugh inside, and continue asking questions. “So, you don’t think he could have stolen the staff?”

“Well, he would have had more time to work on his plan if we hadn’t found-“

“JOHN!”

He blushes and looks away. “… Sorry… No- I mean, negative.”

“I’m wondering why he would want to steal the staff in the first place. Any ideas?”

All at once they say, “Negative.”

“Does he always try to escape?”

“Affirmative.”

“Why don’t you want Leo to take the staff?”

“It is not that we do not want him to, but that our protection detail is very strict. Should Leonardo manage to escape us and steal the staff, we will be deemed unfit to protect our targets and be replaced. The same would happen if we let him do that. If that were to happen, the research that we have been working on for the past ten years will be considered corrupted and the projects will need to be started over from the very beginning. The beginning is a five year training course to deal with this island, and it took twenty years before us five started training. So, we would be looking at around thirty-five years before our replacements would get to the point we are at.”

[i’m gonna throw this question in since no one seems to see the obvious.]

“Wait. I just thought of something. Why are five different intelligence agencies working together?”

“Common goal.”

“Which would be?”

The CIA agent freezes up for a minute before responding. “Our primary goal is to recreate the rapid growth of the animals in crops worldwide. However, we cannot divulge what we have found, or our secondary goals… I can tell you that none of our missions involve stealing the staff.” As if he read your mind.

Why did it take so long to prepare you for the island?

Is there any other reason Leo would attempt to escape?

What can you divulge on the causes of the animals' increased size, and do you have any theories you can share on why the falcon is particularly affected?

Why did it take so long to train?

There are more dangers here than you think, and we also needed medical training.

Would Leo try to escape for another reason, perhaps?

Negative.

Can you tell me anything at all about what you have found out about the animals?

They not only grow larger than normal, but also live much longer. The falcon is actually the youngest, and is actually preparing to lay her eggs, which might be causing her to absorb more of whatever is causing the rapid growth and account for her extra increase in size. The oldest we know of is the leader of the jungle cats at over 100 years old, around five times the normal expectancy, and it is still active. Other than that, we can say nothing.

"I would like to know if you have found whatever is causing the rapid growth. Not what it is, just if you have found it."

"We have not. The extra absorption theory is still just a theory."

Edited by OmegaScales

The agents don't actually know what causes the rapid growth, so they wouldn't be able to tell Leslie if it would also affect the animals' behaviors.

“Can you tell me about the dangers of this island?”

“It is mostly normal marsh and jungle dangers except more so, and you can’t always tell where the jungle or marsh ends and the other begins. The animals and plants are also more dangerous than normal.”

“Plants?”

“Poisonous plants, carnivorous plants, certain other plants that you have not even heard of; all of these are dangerous for humans here.”

“I thought carnivorous plants only grew where the soil is thin or has little nutrients…”This time it’s your turn to be “psychic”. “… I know. This island is not normal.”

The carnivorous plants are just to prove that the island is not normal, and it took twenty years for them to be found, not prepare for training. Basically, not just anyone would be able to handle what they can. In case you're wondering, training includes detection and distinction of plants and animals, terrain handling, and what to do in dangerous situations such as quicksand or being attacked. It also includes human dangers and medical training, such as dissecting animals properly and the animals' regular anatomies (just for the animals on the island). If an agent was not able to learn all this in five years, they would be thrown out of the program.