BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

20 answers to this question

Well that all depends on the clock, is the clock known to be slow or fast? If so how slow or fast? If it is known to be fast and it is now slow. Check the batteries. If it is normally slow and is now fast, you got something paranormal going on. :thumbsup:

Edited by brandonyy4u

[

quote name='autonav' date='15 February 2011 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1297783022'

post='267637']

[spoiler='I think it's 10.5 seconds. It takes 7

seconds to ring 7 times. There are 6 intervals between rings. Each

interval then takes 7/6 of a second. For 10 rings, there are 9

intervals. So 9 x 7/6 = 63/6 = 10.5.'']

Don't understand this.

The OP asked how long does the clock take to STRIKE 10.

right, not how long a phone takes to ring ten times, which seems to be what the post you were agreeing with is regarding

autonav might've chosen a better word than 'ring', but the question is 'How long does it take the clock to 'bong' 10 times?'

I believe the question is "How long does it take a clock to strike 10?" Not 10 times...if that were the question, my Baconlicious Chum then there is missing info...how long does each "bong" take. No, the second hand has struck 7 (or will in 7 seconds). How long until it strikes 10.

My assumption is that the clock took 7 seconds to strike 7 - i.e. bong 7 times....as in

"It was a cold bright day in April and the clocks were striking 13."

edit -typo

I think it's 10.5 seconds. It takes 7 seconds to ring 7 times. There are 6 intervals between rings. Each interval then takes 7/6 of a second. For 10 rings, there are 9 intervals. So 9 x 7/6 = 63/6 = 10.5

But you can't answer that with the information given...as was noted one must calculate the intervals between strikes, but then one must know how long each strike takes. What if ezch strike took .1 second? then the interval lengths are (7-.7)/6 = 1.05 seconds between strikes...and the 10 strikes take 9.45 + .1 *10 = 10.45 seconds...see different answer...

I think it's 10.5 seconds. It takes 7 seconds to ring 7 times. There are 6 intervals between rings. Each interval then takes 7/6 of a second. For 10 rings, there are 9 intervals. So 9 x 7/6 = 63/6 = 10.5

But you can't answer that with the information given...as was noted one must calculate the intervals between strikes, but then one must know how long each strike takes. What if ezch strike took .1 second? then the interval lengths are (7-.7)/6 = 1.05 seconds between strikes...and the 10 strikes take 9.45 + .1 *10 = 10.45 seconds...see different answer...

If this is how we're looking at it then autonav is correct, the strike length is irrelevant. The time of 7 seconds would be from when the first strike begins to the time the 7th strike begins, where each interval is the time from one strike beginning to the next strike beginning.

1st strike starts-2nd strike starts=1

2nd-3rd=2

3rd-4th=3

4th-5th=4

5th-6th=5

6th-7th=6

So there are 6 constant time intervals from the time the first strike begins to the time the 7th strike begins, therefore autonav's math is correct, each interval takes 7/6 seconds so the 9 intervals between the first strike and the beginning of the 10th strike would take 10.5 seconds. When the strike begins the strike begins, how long it lasts doesn't matter.

Edited by TheJMan211

If this is how we're looking at it then autonav is correct, the strike length is irrelevant. The time of 7 seconds would be from when the first strike begins to the time the 7th strike begins, where each interval is the time from one strike beginning to the next strike beginning.

1st strike starts-2nd strike starts=1

2nd-3rd=2

3rd-4th=3

4th-5th=4

5th-6th=5

6th-7th=6

So there are 6 constant time intervals from the time the first strike begins to the time the 7th strike begins, therefore autonav's math is correct, each interval takes 7/6 seconds so the 9 intervals between the first strike and the beginning of the 10th strike would take 10.5 seconds. When the strike begins the strike begins, how long it lasts doesn't matter.

Thejman211 now you got it B))

YES ,Autonav you are absolutely correct :thumbsup:

10.5 is correct.

[spoiler=That seems to be the accepted answer. I'm still caught up on the semantics though. It seems that a strike hasn't occured until it completes, making the length of the strike very relevant. But once again, it seems it's just me and I'm caught up in the semantics. For the sake of the intention of the riddle then certainly I can agree with everyone (and Engineering.com :D) that the answer is] 10.5