BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Aaryan

Question

You take a look at the cluttered apartment. The famous columnist Magnus McAlister had been fatally stabbed. His agent, Roger, had called the police when Magnus failed to submit his column to the newspaper.

Magnus's body was draped over his manual typewriter.

You glance at the paper in the typewriter. It appeared to be the writer's column.

The victim's head rested on the keyboard and had apparently hit random keys causing the last line of the article to be followed by "49t34 w5qgg3e j3".

"I'm surprised to see that he still uses a typewriter!" says Jones.

"According to his agent, Roger, he found it therapeutic to pound the keys on his typewriter, rather than type on a computer." you say bluntly, intent on looking around.

Out of a list of acquaintances provided by Magnus' agent, the detective questioned the following people.

Maria had been separated from Magnus for the last year. Although initially the split had been amicable, lately things had gotten a bit nasty about the division of their assets. Magnus was willing to give Maria the mansion and a generous lump sum payment, but wanted to draw the line at the excessive alimony being demanded by Maria's lawyer. Maria was living in the mansion and had a generous pre-alimony settlement and a new boyfriend.

Jill was Magnus's current girlfriend. She definitely was a looker and by all appearances was extremely high maintenance. She was also the spring in this romance. You note everything. She had a Gucci bag, wore emerald and diamond jewelry and on her wrist a new Rolex. You suspect her grief was for the loss of her endless source of money and not for the deceased.

Magnus's brother, Gerald, had been dating Maria when Magnus had stolen her away. Gerald still held a grudge and blatantly tells you that "he was glad his brother was dead and good riddance". He hinted that he might try to win Maria back, now that his brother was dead.

After a whole thirteen seconds, Jones looks at you. "I'm stumped." he says.

"Lucky for you, I'm not!" you say.

Who was it?

Edited by Aaryan

10 answers to this question

No head falling on a typewriter would cause that message:

- it's not a keyboard, pressing multiple keys at once would make them block

- no way repeats are possible either (unless extreme convulsions)

- no way keys from both the left and right part of the typewriter can appear accidentally - e.g. 3 9 q and j draw too big an area for a human head to pound.

So the message is NOT random.

Using the letters below (and slightly to the right) the message on a regular typewriter solves it.

"49t34 w5qgg3e j3"

ROGER STABBED ME

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by araver

You take a look at the cluttered apartment. The famous columnist Magnus McAlister had been fatally stabbed. His agent, Roger, had called the police when Magnus failed to submit his column to the newspaper.

Magnus's body was draped over his manual typewriter.

You glance at the paper in the typewriter. It appeared to be the writer's column.

The victim's head rested on the keyboard and had apparently hit random keys causing the last line of the article to be followed by "49t34 w5qgg3e j3".

"I'm surprised to see that he still uses a typewriter!" says Jones.

"According to his agent, Roger, he found it therapeutic to pound the keys on his typewriter, rather than type on a computer." you say bluntly, intent on looking around.

Out of a list of acquaintances provided by Magnus' agent, the detective questioned the following people.

Maria had been separated from Magnus for the last year. Although initially the split had been amicable, lately things had gotten a bit nasty about the division of their assets. Magnus was willing to give Maria the mansion and a generous lump sum payment, but wanted to draw the line at the excessive alimony being demanded by Maria's lawyer. Maria was living in the mansion and had a generous pre-alimony settlement and a new boyfriend.

Jill was Magnus's current girlfriend. She definitely was a looker and by all appearances was extremely high maintenance. She was also the spring in this romance. You note everything. She had a Gucci bag, wore emerald and diamond jewelry and on her wrist a new Rolex. You suspect her grief was for the loss of her endless source of money and not for the deceased.

Magnus's brother, Gerald, had been dating Maria when Magnus had stolen her away. Gerald still held a grudge and blatantly tells you that "he was glad his brother was dead and good riddance". He hinted that he might try to win Maria back, now that his brother was dead.

After a whole thirteen seconds, Jones looks at you. "I'm stumped." he says.

"Lucky for you, I'm not!" you say.

Who was it?

Roger stabbed me.]