BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cavenglok

Question

Brian Dennis was now the official Head of the Police in Climax City after the Basilisk Incident. You are him, and he is you. You have access to medical info/autopsy, scientific info/identification and police squads (however many you want to take with you), but each time you use them, you must answer a riddle. I will prepare the riddle.

*Climax City is a fictional location, and unlike my previous mysteries, will not contain real-life locations.*

A woman walks into your office.

Dialogue: Woman

Woman: Where can I find Detective Brian Dennis?

You: You're speaking to him.

(Woman goes on her knees)

Woman: I don't have too much money, but.. MY SON'S KIDNAPPED!

(Woman bursts in tears)

You: Don't worry, ma'am, we don't need money for a kidnapping. I'm gonna have to ask you some questions, ma'am. Can you answer them for me?

(Woman nods)

You: Where do you live?

Woman: 134 Winston Street.

You: When did you last see your son?

Woman: Last night, I tucked him into bed.

You: Describe your son to us, please.

Woman: 14 years old, about 5'11", 170 pounds, black hair, brown eyes. Asian.

You: I see. Well, we'll have to investigate your house, seeing as it is the scene of the crime.

Woman: I'll give you a key so you can enter any time you want.

You: Thank you. We'll do our best to find your boy. What's your name?

Woman: Elena Walter.

You: Thank you, Ms. Walter.

Locations:

Elena Walter's Home

Items:

Glock G21

Notebook

Key to Elena Walter's Home

What will you do?

• Answers 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

See if any of the boys personal items are missing

Run away ... and not been kidnapped as the mother assumes .. He is 14.. 5'11" well built does not sound like a helpless boy. If there is no indication of a voluntary departure then I will check if any items which are are like a safety blanket to the child are missing (ask the mother) this might indicate that the kidnapper was known to the child

Query as i have never participated in one of the mysteries pls let me know if the POA's need to be mentioned in spoilers

This sounds like a great mystery :)

(Another issue that playing on my mind that need a little clarity

Woman: I don't have too much money, but.. MY SON'S KIDNAPPED!

(Woman bursts in tears)

in the first line has the 'Been' been left out intentionally or unintentionally .. 'My Son's been Kidnapped' because it could also sound as if the Son has kidnapped someone but the lady bursts into tears before she can say who

I'll post a picture of the rooms to give you a better picture.

Elena Walter is divorced. Walter is her maiden name. The location of her husband is unknown.

Elena: I haven't touched a thing. This is exactly how it looks.

The boy's (Sergio Walter) room doesn't look odd at all. Everything is in place, except for the sheets on the bed and some muddy footprints leading from the door out the window. And I apologize for unclarity. She said, "My son's been kidnapped!" And you'll need more evidence before you claim that.

I'll post a picture of the rooms to give you a better picture.

Elena Walter is divorced. Walter is her maiden name. The location of her husband is unknown.

Elena: I haven't touched a thing. This is exactly how it looks.

The boy's (Sergio Walter) room doesn't look odd at all. Everything is in place, except for the sheets on the bed and some muddy footprints leading from the door out the window. And I apologize for unclarity. She said, "My son's been kidnapped!" And you'll need more evidence before you claim that.

Why is this asian boy's name Sergio Walter? Very odd name for someone of the asian persuasion.

What size shoe does Sergio wear? What size are the muddy footprints?

Edited by TheJMan211

Here is a diagram of the room. The brown spots are the footsteps.

Elena's room is about 15 feet down the hallway on the top floor. I might draw a diagram of the house if you want to.

Elena is Asian, by the way, and Walter is not her maiden name. Sergio's shoe size is 10. The mud seems to show that the person walking had size 10 1/2.

There was no ill will, but you can't check the police records... until you solve this riddle.

"If you feed it food, it will live. If you feed it water, it will die."

Why? Well, there is.

post-27620-053242000 1296497836.png

Here is a diagram of the room. The brown spots are the footsteps.

Elena's room is about 15 feet down the hallway on the top floor. I might draw a diagram of the house if you want to.

Elena is Asian, by the way, and Walter is not her maiden name. Sergio's shoe size is 10. The mud seems to show that the person walking had size 10 1/2.

There was no ill will, but you can't check the police records... until you solve this riddle.

"If you feed it food, it will live. If you feed it water, it will die."

Why? Well, there is.

you said it was her maiden name, then it wasnt. What??

fire

are the mud prints just blobs, or are there patterns in it? (like the print of a bottom of a shoe)

Is there mud anywhere else in the house, or just Sergio's room? If just in the room, then it is very possible that it is being staged as there would be mud outside his door. Check to see if any shoes in the house may have left the footprints, including what the mother wears/is wearing. If this is the case, either Elena is the prime suspect in the case(A), Sergio ran away(B), or the kidnapper(s) planted the evidence.

(A)Confront her and, assuming she caves, arrest her. Interrogate her to find out where he is/what she did with him. If she appears innocent, continue on.

(B)He may even have had friends stage it, so ask Elena about his friends. Check his drawers and personal effects as well.

(NOTE) Assuming it is a kidnapping, it is imperitive to lay low as police/detective involvement may cause Sergio's death (assuming he's still alive).

If there is mud elsewhere or Elena cleaned it up without realizing Sergio was gone, check to see if any shoes in the house may have left the footprints, including what the mother wears/is wearing. Ask if Sergio may have had shoes that match the prints. If there are no matches, take a mold of the footprint and determine what type of shoe it is, and check for anyone who has recently bought some. Also check around the house for anything unusual (a trained eye might find something others miss.

I apologize. It ISN'T her maiden name.

And for your answer to the riddle, YES.

The footprints have "patterns," I just couldn't depict them in Paint quickly.

There are two footprints right outside Sergio's door. No shoes in the house fit the marks. The footprints resemble snow boots.

You have taken in Elena for questioning. Let me describe the questioning rooms. Very similiar style as my previous mysteries. You have a lie detector, a powerful taser, and you're in a classic interrogation room with darkness all around with a single light shining into the target's face.

Elena says Sergio had no snow boots. She did not clean up the hallway. You take a mold. Identification requires another riddle.

"What gets wetter the more it dries?"

With observance, you notice a window openable from outside. The fire exit on the map shown above leads to a garden. You can exit on to the street from the garden. A subway station is nearby, and every time the train passes, it is very loud, and you have to yell to hear another person.

The Riddle: YES. I'll start breaking off from the really easy ones now.

It seems to a boot from Camper®. All the nearby Camper® stores around say that there is no purchaser of the boot from a Sergio Walter.

When you ask the police officer at the train station, he says that between 9:00 PM - 6:00 AM, 46 trains passed. However, around 12:46 AM, four trains passed by one right after another, lasting until 12:48.

You lifted the two prints outside the door, but left alone the ones inside the room. You also notice that the two prints are almost directly below the window. You climb on the roof to check for more prints. The prints lead from off the roof. You investigate where the prints begin. There are scratches all over the wall on the outside, and there is a ladder that seems to have been kicked, and two small indents are in the dirt and snow below.

I also forgot what the first riddle was for. It was to look at Sergio's father's records.

Name: Mateo Walter.

Criminal Records: Accused of murder, proven innocent. Accused of being a Mafia boss, proven innocent. Accused of disorderly conduct, served 30 days in jail.

You can now go to Mateo Walter's home.

Can you guys publicise this mystery around Brain Den? I'd like to have more people playing.

Edited by Cavenglok

You ask Elena.

Dialogue: Elena

You: Who were Sergio's best friends?

Elena: Um.. There was John Casanove, James Small, and this one girl named Amanda Zhou who was practically his sister.

You: Did this Amanda and Sergio have a romantic relationship?

Elena: (pauses, thinks genuinely) No, I think they were just really good friends.

You: Hmm, are you sure?

Elena: Yes. Sergio can't tell a lie if his life depended on it.

You go around Camper to ask if a John Casanove, James Small, or Amanda Zhou bought the boots. Apparently, James Small bought a pair of them a month ago. You found out the Small's family's address, along with the Casanove's and the Zhou's.

You visit Mateo. His house is a mansion. When you enter, he's reading in a cozy living room next to a fireplace.

Dialogue: Mateo Walter.

Mateo: (thick Italian accent) Hello, Detective. Come to arrest me?

You: (coldly; you already don't like this guy) No. Why, have you done something illegal?

Mateo: (laughs) No need to be so suspicious, Detective. I am perfectly innocent. Only police officers such as yourself would suspect me of something.

You: Like your son's disappearance?

(Mateo suddenly jerks from the good-naturedness to an alertness)

Mateo: Sergio? What happened to my little Don?

You: He was reported gone awhile back. I am here to question you, try to get more info on his background life.

Mateo: That [CENSORED] lost my son! MY ONLY SON!!!

You: Calm down, Mr. Walter...

Mateo: I will not calm down!

(he draws a hunter's knife from his fireplace)

Mateo: Tell me where he is! TELL ME WHERE HE IS!

Putting in a WIT section here. You have to come up with things to say to the opponent so to 1) defend yourself, 2) gain the opponent's trust or 3) get info. Whenever a WIT section appears, WIT will be written in bold.

WIT

Notice:

A woman comes in the police station and says that her daughter, Amanda, is also missing.

Edited by Cavenglok

The Smalls live in a nice little 2-story house. You confront James and his parents. You find out that their names are Isaac and Eliza.

Dialogue: Jamie, Isaac, Eliza.

You: Hello. My name is Brian Dennis, and I'm a detective. I'm looking into the disappearance of Sergio and Amanda. Am I right when I say that they're your friends?

James: Yes, they are.

You: Very well. I'm going to ask you some questions, if you don't mind.

Isaac: Go ahead.

(you take out a picture of the boot marks)

You: You bought boots a month ago from Camper® for James. The bottom looks like these. (you indicate to the photo) Do you recognize them?

Isaac: Yeah. James, do you still have those boots?

James: Yeah, I think so, let me check.

(James runs off)

You: Okay, while he's checking, let me ask you, does James have any siblings?

Eliza: Yes, Daniel, his little brother. (yells upstairs) Danny, come downstairs!

(Danny comes down)

Danny: What, mom?

Eliza: We have a guest. His name is Detective Brian Dennis.

(you wave)

Danny: What did we do wrong?

You: No, no, you didn't do anything wrong. I was just asking your brother about a couple friends of his.

Eliza: You remember, Sergio?

Danny: Oh yeah, big guy. Glasses. I call him Sermon.

You: You know him?

Danny: Yeah, he came over to our house a couple times. He's awesome.

You: Hmm...

James: (coming back) I remember, I left them at school, because you remember, you picked me up and I came out earlier than I should've...

Eliza: You forgot to put on your boots. Oh, James. Just remember to get it tomorrow.

(Something rings in the background)

Eliza: There's our dinner, I'll be right back.

(she leaves)

You: So you don't have your boots?

(James shakes his head)

You: What was your relationship with Sergio and Amanda?

James: Sergio was a writer. He wrote really creepy short stories, kinda like Twilight Zone. I filmed movies, so we partnered up. Amanda was in all of my classes two years ago, been good friends since.

You: Okay, did Sergio ever act depressed?

James: Yeah, but I think that was just to get attention. There was one time when he seemed really angry in the morning, but he didn't tell me why.

You: Okay... Thank you. Enjoy your dinner.

(Isaac leads you to the door)

Dialogue: Amanda's mom

You: What's your name?

Amanda's Mom: (with a surprisingly strong and steady voice) Melanie Zhou.

You: Okay, what does your daughter look like?

Melanie: Uh, she had black hair, brown eyes, big teeth, skinny, about 5'7'' tall. 103 pounds last time I checked.

You: What was her relationship with Sergio?

Melanie: They were very good friends, always talked about him being like a little kid she had to take care of. She was very bossy, it was relatively funny at times to hear her talk.

You: I see. Have you met Sergio's mom before?

Melanie: Yes, she had to go through surgery and wanted me to support her. She was very stressed all the time, but Sergio was a sweet kid.

You need to make at least one move in WIT by 12:00 AM EST or you'll fail. You will go through some punishment (lose trust, get hurt, so on) if you don't complete it.

um, does the sergio street part have anything to do with the kid? it just popped out at me.

For the WIT:

say something along the lines of "i don't know where sergio is, but if you just calm down, sir, i will help you find him." then, if he puts down the knife, say, "sir, i would like to ask you a few questions." and continue with your interrogation. If he continues threatening you, pick up some type of statue or something to defend yourself while you run backwards out the door.

@peace: Read the bold in my third to last dialogue.

I'll make the first WIT easy and let that one pass...

Dialogue: Mateo

You: Calm down, sir. I'm here to help you find your son.

Mateo:...

You: Are you okay, sir?

Mateo: ..Fine, but don't fail me.

You nod. That was easier than expected. What do you want to ask Mateo?

You to mateo: where were you between 12 and 1 last night.

Clarification: You lifted the two prints outside the door, but left alone the ones inside the room. You also notice that the two prints are almost directly below the window.

Are the prints outside the door and inside the room same. Is the door mentioned the bedroom door and which window will it be..

Also can you explain the direction of the foot prints. They originate from the roof to which someone gained access using a ladder enter sergio's room through the fire escape window what is the return path of the footsteps.