BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Domino Hunt

Domino Hunt - Back to the Picture and Rebus Puzzles

There are 28 dominos in the picture (0-0, 0-1, 0-2, ..., 6-6). Unfortunately, the edges can not be distinguished from the middle lines and it is up to you to find out where the 28 domino pieces are placed.

Where are the edges?

post-2-1175339776_thumbgif

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Domino Hunt - solution

post-2-1175339824_thumbgif

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I looked at the solution and had no idea how to work it out.

And then I had an idea that first I should eliminate those dominoes with numbers that only show up once next to each other. First I checked the doubles and then I started the elimination from the beginning. So this is what I have so far:

1. 5-5

2. 2-5

3. 2-6

4. 3-2

That's about it, there's still 24 to go! All the other numbers are standing next to each other more than once. I don't know what kind of system of elimination to use... :huh: I thought about trial and error system but that seams to random and an awful lot of work if you don't manage to guess what comes next in your first attempt!

So if anyone can help... I'm really curious about this one! :)

EDIT: Misspelled word (yet again <_< )

Edited by andromeda

Domino Hunt - Back to the New Puzzles

There are 28 dominos in the picture (0-0, 0-1, 0-2, ..., 6-6). Unfortunately, the edges can not be distinguished from the middle lines and it is up to you to find out where the 28 domino pieces are placed (where are the edges).

post-2-1175339776_thumbgif

Domino Hunt - solution

post-2-1175339824_thumbgif

Couldnt you just do it in rows??

1 row in the top;

2 rows in the middle;

1 row on the bottom;

Isn't there A LOT of soulutions??

Yesterday I looked at the solution and had no idea how to work it out.

So if anyone can help... I'm really curious about this one! :)

Well, I haven't gone thru the whole thing yet, but here are some tricks to get you going

that would be the 5-5 pair you identified. Now look below it. That 2 must belong to a 4, so you can eliminate any other 2-4 pairs in the puzzle.

You may have already done that, so here's the nest step

Keep looking at that 2 and the adjoining 4s. If two dominoes made a quare there, you'd have a 2-4 and a 3-4, but you wouldn't know which way they were oriented. Her you have to assume there's a unique solution (otherwise it wouldn't be a good puzzle) With that, we now know that 3 can't be connected to either of those 4s

Spoiler for So it must be:

connected to the other 4

from there you can easily see which 4 belongs to the 2.

And so on. You can apply this in the lower left, with the 4-0 as well.

Good luck, and let me know if you get stuck again. There may be some other methods I can share.

Edited by Cherry Lane

I don't quite get it!

If you look at this photo

On the left 3-5 and 1-1 are matched together... how can you know that on the right you match 2 with the 4 bellow and not with the one on the left?? And try to explain that like you would to a five year old :blink: cause so far I'm not quite sure how you determined that it has to be the vertical 2-4 domino?

Edited by andromeda

I don't quite get it!

If you look at this photo

On the left 3-5 and 1-1 are matched together... how can you know that on the right you match 2 with the 4 bellow and not with the one on the left?? And try to explain that like you would to a five year old :blink: cause so far I'm not quite sure how you determined that it has to be the vertical 2-4 domino?

I'm not so good with the graphics, so I was trying to explain it without a picture...but that doesn't seem to work very well. Let me try again.

and to the left of that 4 is a 3
now focus on that 3
we know it mates with a 4, but we don't know which one. Suppose it doesn't mate with the 4 to its left,
then you would have 2 dominoes forming a box. But there are 2 ways it could be arranged
_____ _____
|4 2| |4|2|
----- or | | |
|3 4| |3|4|
----- -----

and there is no way to tell which is which. So the solution cannot include this box.
And the 3 must pair with the 4 to its left.

HA-HA! I got it!!!

post-10350-1224864071_thumbgif

The crucial piece is the one marked with blue... because you have to choose the orange 1-6 because if you'd decide to choose the other one you wouldn't have the 6-6 piece. After you've done that naturally mark the 6-6 one and then the only place you can form 1-1 is the horizontal one in the left middle corner and then from there it's piece of cake... you just go by system of elimination!

Here is the list of my steps (of course you can get it slightly different):

1. 5-5

2. 2-5

3. 2-6

4. 2-3 - these you can determine right away

5. 1-6

6. 6-6 - this is the next step where you have no other option

7. 1-1

8. 3-5

9. 3-6

10. 3-3

11. 0-3

12. 5-6

13. 0-5

14. 4-5

15. 0-1

16. 1-5

17. 1-3

18. 1-2

19. 2-2

20. 0-4

21. 0-0

22. 0-6

23. 1-4

24. 4-4

25. 0-2

26. 4-6

27. 3-4

28. 2-4

:D

EDIT: Forgot to say GREAT RIDDLE!!!

Edited by andromeda

Well, I see that while I was making my drawing, you were solving the puzzle! Nice job! But since you probably still didn't get what I was trying to say (you solved it a different way), and I spent so much time creating my drawing, I'll add it here anyway. It may help you on harder domino puzzles.

post-8756-1224865705_thumbjpg
Edited by Cherry Lane

Well, I see that while I was making my drawing, you were solving the puzzle! Nice job! But since you probably still didn't get what I was trying to say (you solved it a different way), and I spent so much time creating my drawing, I'll add it here anyway. It may help you on harder domino puzzles.

post-8756-1224865705_thumbjpg

Thanks for the effort CL :)