BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Ok, this may be an oldie, but I can't find it on here so I'll throw it out...

A police officer is walking through a building. From the other side of a closed door he hears a woman shout "No David, don't shoot me!", then a gun shot.

He kicks down the door, and sees a woman lying dead on the floor, with a gun next to her. Standing in the room there's a Judge, a Plumber and a Postman.

He immediately arrests one of the three for the murder.

Whom did he arrest, and why?

14 answers to this question

the postman because he is the only man there named David..

But let's assume the policeman has no way of knowing the names of the 3 suspects...

And just to dispel a few random guesses made when I tried this on my colleagues this morning - nobody confesses, nobody's covered in blood, nobody's wearing a name badge, the closed door didn't have a window through which the policeman saw the crime being committed...!!

Edited by Southpaw_Pete

The judge. Plumber and postman are on work. Judge needn't have to be at home for his job, and since the lady cried the killer's name before dying , it means the person who murdered her is her relative and isn't on work. i.e. the judge !

pdq - already ruled out name badges

zimon - nope (many reasons why the postman could be inside a room, and I didn't say he was on duty)

fabpig - That's the bunny! Congrats.

I should have guessed. Going 'postal' and all that.

I should have guessed. Going 'postal' and all that.

ha ha! That wasn't a phrase I'd ever encountered, until I spent a year living in the US after university. It seems your posties are a little more "fragile" than ours!!

There is only one person there, the man has three different jobs, must be a small town

Nice try Nerds! Hadn't considered that. However, whilst man could hold all 3 positions, "he immediately arrests one of the three" would suggest multiple people in the room - as the policeman must arrest the person, not the job title.