BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

gvg

Question

Alrighty. So, just starting to go in depth in Buddhism in school, and from what I've seen so far, it looks pretty cool.

I did just get something about Buddhism on my Kindle haven't started it yet), and truthfully, I am thinking about becoming Buddhists. Seems kinda awesome.

I knwo the whole thing about "It's more of a lifestyle." Well, I need someone to explain. Give me everything you know. I want to see if this matches me.

Also, I've read about something in Buddhism that is very sexist: Something about the laws of why monks are over nuns in all aspects. Am I interpreting this wrong? Someone fill me in.

So, anything and everything.

Also about any others. I know confucianism, I know daoism/taoism. A bit on Jaidism. Any more I dunno about?

6 answers to this question

Buddhism's always referred to as being all chill and laid back and "the most atheistic" but really they believe a lot of horseradish just like other religions. You'd have better luck with Taoism. But why an eastern religion? I would agree that they're "better" than western religions in terms of being more consistent and having better moral messages and teachings, but it's still a religion (most of them) and come with thousands of years of tacked on tradition to adhere to

I agree with unreality. It's better to find your own beliefs than to adopt the beliefs of someone else, even if their religion is really "cool." That being said, you should definitely become a it's the best religion out there, by far. B)) (Back story . :thumbsup: Be warned, it's a long read.)

I'm not sure how much you'll learn about Buddhism, but I think you might appreciate "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." I think that it's a very interesting book and I don't much care for Buddhism or motorcycles. :D

Edit: Clarification.

Edited by dawh

I agree find your own path.

Dawh, I hated that book and I like motorcycles. I thought it was pointless and meandering. To each his own I guess.

I think the point of that book is the journey, not the destination, so it fits pretty well with Buddhism in that respect. :lol:

Ok, what I meant by cool is that it seems like an undogmatic, peaceful way of life that has beliefs close to mine, like karma.

Now, I haven't gotten around to seeing phronism yet, but I'll tell you when I do =)

But believe me, I am the last person to follow someone else's belief because it's 'cool.' That's not what I meant.

Ok, what I meant by cool is that it seems like an undogmatic, peaceful way of life that has beliefs close to mine, like karma.

Now, I haven't gotten around to seeing phronism yet, but I'll tell you when I do =)

But believe me, I am the last person to follow someone else's belief because it's 'cool.' That's not what I meant.

then why do you feel the need to align yourself with someone else's dogma when you already have your own set of philosophies. Is that insufficient?