BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, but we have not the rations to sit here until the murder is solved. If we want to do both, ascend and solve, we'll need to work on both at the same time. Regarding the situation with the rations, it was almost a good stroke of luck that our numbers were shortened else we would have been forced to choose. It would be interesting to know whether that luck is due to man or God or both...

How can all of you be so flippant in your decision? A man was just MURDERED! And he was murdered by someone here. Do we know if this is was a personal kill or a non-discriminate attack of opportunity? Was this the first and last murder? Or is the killer planning on taking out more of us? Climbing this mountain now is a fool's errand. Our lives are much more important than any discovery we may find above. We need to root out the killer first and foremost.

Yes, but we have not the rations to sit here until the murder is solved.

Then we can climb back down, renew our materials, and start over. I understand the importance in going up, but not if one of us poses a threat to the others. When climbing mountains, trust is key. Every action someone does here, be it a step in the wrong direction, getting sick, or killing someone for FSM's sake, affects everyone else. We are entirely interconnected, and the mountain should be the only threat.

How many hours until dawn? If we just stop arguing and start investigating, this won't even be a problem.

Nischal:

I agree Savage ,something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Our concern should be giving Brontson a proper burial and returning to base with as much information as possible for the authorities. This ascent was cursed before it began and if we continue without giving the proper attention to Brontson's spirit, it will be doubly, NAY!, triply cursed.

I have faith that The Flying Spaghetti Monster will keep us safe, so long as we do what we are destined to do. That includes solving this murder. The mountain will be here when we wake up, in ten years, or in one thousand years, Gawd willing. The clues that will let us solve this and the people involved have limited life-spans. We have enough resources to solve this, pay our respects, and only then move on. WWFSMD? The immediate danger here is that one of us is a murderer and we don't even know why. Continuing on under those conditions is ridiculous.

What is the meaning of this!??!?! (No seriously: I don't know what WWFSMD means)

--

The man murdered was my FATHER. What if I'm next?

We've already decided to keep moving up the mountain. And I don't know how much of an investigation we can get started tonight, and yes, we need our rest. But I'm not going to sleep unless we have two people awake at all times. Rotating just one person, or nobody at all, will give free reign to the murderer to do whatever he (or she*) likes with us. I'll share the first watch.

--

*I use "he" as sexually ambiguous

Edited by DarthNoob

Then we can climb back down, renew our materials, and start over.

you're far away from civilization - there's no "recharging". Just clearing that up

How many hours until dawn? If we just stop arguing and start investigating, this won't even be a problem.

it is daytime. And it's been a few hours SINCE dawn. Until dusk, like 10 hours (in the game) but you have to sleep in the day too, tis the point, but anyway in terms of real-life time, I haven't quite figured out the timing yet but right now i'm thinking daytime discussion will go to tonight when I get back from being out so maybe in the time window of 11 pm to 1 am (EST).

Nischal:

I agree Savage ,something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Our concern should be giving Brontson a proper burial and returning to base with as much information as possible for the authorities. This ascent was cursed before it began and if we continue without giving the proper attention to Brontson's spirit, it will be doubly, NAY!, triply cursed.

Give me a shovel and I'll start the burial. It should be my job. And whoever shares first watch can help me.

Edited by DarthNoob

Nischal:

I must add that this talk of a Macaroni Beast does not "fly" among the spirits of the mountains. You may have already put us in great peril and been indirectly, if not directly responsible for Brontson's death.

What is the meaning of this!??!?! (No seriously: I don't know what WWFSMD means)

What would the Flying Spaghetti Monster do.

I'll start probing around. I suggest you all do the same. Have some conversations with people. Be on your toes.

Nischal, I am directly responsible for Brontson's death with my belief of THE God? You said your mountain demons may have possessed someone into doing it. If anything, the FSM is protecting us. ..Silly atheists...

/OOC - WWFSMD - What would Flying Spaghetti Monster do. Used as a somewhat rhetorical question. Actual answer is practically always, "fly around and drip sauce all over the carpet"

Give me a shovel and I'll start the burial. It should be my job. And whoever shares first watch can help me.

I'll volunteer. Sitting around doing nothing just makes me restless.

Vick, was your father a religious man? If so, I can prepare a ceremony.

Why must this blasphemy continue...If Brontson was religous I'm sure he'd much sooner eat a bowl of ravioli than pray to it. The spirits of these mountains should not be angered, you my friend are playing with fire and fire can not be tamed.

Vick, was your father a religious man? If so, I can prepare a ceremony.

If by religious you mean a god fearing Christian man, then yes. He was always far more religious than I was, and we fought over it a few times... but I'm not going to disrespect his beliefs now. Not after this.

Why must this blasphemy continue...If Brontson was religous I'm sure he'd much sooner eat a bowl of ravioli than pray to it. The spirits of these mountains should not be angered, you my friend are playing with fire and fire can not be tamed.

Brontson would much rather worship the GOD THAT CREATED HIM than the DEMONS THAT KILLED HIM. Why are you even here with us? Scout is all the guidance we need. I apologize if our western religion disturbs you, but you have to realize our part of the world is vastly superior, ergo, we're worshipping the right God.

Not like it matters. You're completely distracting us from what's important here. Why don't you go soothe the demons or something?

Brontson would much rather worship the GOD THAT CREATED HIM than the DEMONS THAT KILLED HIM. Why are you even here with us? Scout is all the guidance we need. I apologize if our western religion disturbs you, but you have to realize our part of the world is vastly superior, ergo, we're worshipping the right God.

Not like it matters. You're completely distracting us from what's important here. Why don't you go soothe the demons or something?

Nischal:

Ahh, but you're in our part of the world aren't you?

Vick, I will adhere to your wishes regarding burial ceremonies, but please do not take what I say about the spirits lightly.

Edited by maurice

Clarification: you can PM each other (and include me if you want so I can get a grasp of what's going on, but you don't need to). If it's during the day, you can talk privately without others knowing. But during the night when everyone is trekking in a line, you can still whisper to each other but it will be known that the two people are conversing. So in that case do include me in the conversation so I know, and I will say on the thread "so-and-so are having a conversation". If that gets tiresome I'll drop it but we'll try it out haha

Nischal:

Ahh, but you're in our part of the world aren't you?

Vick, I will adhere to your wishes regarding burial ceremonies, but please do not take what I say about the spirits lightly.

I don't know anything about your spirits. If they really could have had something to do with my father's death... I want to know everything I can about them.

Naschal:

I have said what I know. The spirits do not want us here, they did not want Norway here, they want no mortal here. They will protect what is sacred *points upwardly, towards the top of the stairs*. I fear that they have already manipulated one of us. *points to Brontson's body/looks into the eyes of each of his acquaintances, two by two*

<Hieronymus>

I'm beginning to question Brontson's ability to select men. It seems that several of you didn't want to ascend the mountain to begin with. Perhaps this murder was simply a way to sabotage the expedition? And many others signed up for the expedition w/o any plans to actually participate?? All I can say is that I didn't come this far just to give up at the first sign of difficulty. I'm going to get some sleep and come nightfall, I'm heading up the mountain with Scout and whoever else has integrity to follow through on their word.

The Savage

This has nothing to do with going up the mountain or not. This is all about finding out who murdered the expedition leader! And whether or not another of us will be killed. Yes, we all came to go up this mountain, but that comes second to discovering a murderer among us. If he or she keeps killing us, we aren't going to make much progress. What if they target Scout next? What then? We are blind in our ascent. This murderer needs to be found NOW! If that can be done during the trek, then yes, let it be done. If not, the mission must sacrifice.

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

I'm looking at three possible motives here.

A) The murder was personal.

B) The murder was meant to sabotage our expedition. If this is the case, I feel sure that Bronston is probably not the last to die. I'm not sure why someone would sabotage the expedition though. Maybe to claim all the credit?

C) The murder was in self defense. This is the least likely scenario. If Bronston attacked someone, they would try to defend themselves. This may have led to a fatality.

I'm guessing that the murder was personal, and committed it now in order to frame one of us. I say, we keep heading up the mountain. I doubt Bronston would have wanted his work unfinished. Vick, shall we finish your father's work?