BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Alright, I have something to propose. Hear me out. ..Why not start a trial of sorts? Kind of like lynchings down off the mountain, but with a punishment less severe than death? Maybe the accused will have to undergo some tests, get less food, less medical treatment, or *something* that makes this taken seriously. I know, with the exception of one, we're not savages, but we need to be able to continue up and investigate. Since we're capable of walking and talking, I think this works. At least it will keep us mentally entertained while go make some progress on Brontson's murder.

FSM Bless.

I'm not inclined to talk given my recent living conditions, especially amidst such delightful company such as you all. :dry:

You all instill such confidence in me since your leader's been murdered in cold, COLD blood...hah ha...and you're all here chasing the flavor of a rainbow. None of you know what truly lies at the peak and you are all equally wrong. WRONG! Heh heh.

It is unknowable. To know it is to know death. It has destroyed greater men than any of you. You will all meet the fate of your leader if you continue. But you are all too foolish to see the true danger that lies before you. It is not mountain, or man whom you should fear, but BEAST! The great beast! I have seen his footprints! I was so close when your Scout stumbled across me like some drunken oaf! :mad:

The footprints! They were so large...too large for a man. It must be the One! Perhaps you will find it and then I will die a happy man, to have finally witnessed it with mine own two eyes! HA HA! What glory it would be!

Willem:

Ah~ Sorry guys, I wasn't concentrate on what you guys talking about. I am too concern on any sight of flora and fauna that could be found in this terran.

So who ask me about Charles? Yes, we are closed friend. So I do believe he actually didn't see the.....the what?..... oh yes the SFM. I personally like that name.

It was just his hallucination. Just like someone see the oasis in the desert. That's all.

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

I'm not saying you don't have a right to be here. I'm just saying that you seem to be less likely to be here than say, John the Savage. You must admit, it's a but suspicious. I'd be suspicious of anybody who didn't have any obvious reason to be here. Which means I'm also unsure about Brother Mandrake.

Are you saying that money isn't a good enough reason to be here? That it isn't obvious that a corporate mogul like myself would take a personal interest in his investments? I don't feel you understand that I got where I am in this world through stuff like this and I don't enjoy having my merits discredited by a shanty singing seaman!

My friends.. relax. The Admiral has a point. While you had a reason to be here in the beginning, the adventure, what have you... you're of little survival benefit to the people here now.

I think it's too late for turning back, so we'll probably just have to deal. Otherwise, I suggest you just make your way down the mountain, rent yourself a nice ski resort, and drink some hot cocoa. Then, get one of your fancy schmancy helicopters, get a crew up here, and maybe some more food? When it comes to actual climbing ability.. I think you're more of a threat than not.

Hey, on second thought. Kirk, from my understanding, you're on this trip because of blew all your money, and need to gain publicity for yourself and your company by completing this expedition. ...FSM bless your soul for having terrible intentions, but this murder could have something to do with someone wanting to financially ruin you.

Suspects?

...you might be smarter than you let on there Mandrake. Despite my 'terrible intentions' you realize that others may have worse intentions...such as ruining me. Though I don't currently know anyone who stands to gain from me losing money on this expedition. That being said, we may want to look elsewhere :unsure:

Edited by Gmaster479

I've done all I can to treat the frostbite. I need some rest now. I will say that abandoning people at this point is pretty much sentencing them to death if we don't leave them supplies.

@Mordock - I expected a little more loyalty from a fellow military man. You first say you want to find the killer. Then you say you suspect Kirkpatrick because he doesn't serve a purpose while also pointing out that you are also fairly useless. I guess you weren't so suspicious when you agreed to accept his money? I think that the treachery of the climb combined with frostbite will do more then enough to even out the rations over the next few days.

If we are in such a hurry to simply dismiss people from the expedition then I still say we should lose those who were so adamant to quit from the beginning. Choose between the useless guide and the priest. The guide seems happy to turn back and I believe the priest's prayers will be just as effective whether he's with us or not. Or we could quit bickering like children and attack this mountain as we initially planned. Let's accomplish our mission and let the proper authorities take care of the killer assuming the mountain/demons/cold/floaty abominable snowman don't beat them to it.

Just because I have sworn myself to a life of noodliness does not mean I am resourceless. I know how to split rations and conserve food better than anyone here, even you trigger-happy military buffs. You know nothing of my life other outside the prayers I say for you. In fact, I doubt you've actually taken the time to learn anything about anyone here. Think about that before you regard everyone aside from a select few as dispensible. We are here together, meaning it was part of the FSM's divine plan. You as a mortal should not question that. Or, put in your terms. More of us = more abominable snowman fodder = +1 for your own survival chances. Put in terms for everyone else? Food aside, we're actually more likely to survive if we stick together.

I've done all I can to treat the frostbite. I need some rest now. I will say that abandoning people at this point is pretty much sentencing them to death if we don't leave them supplies.

@Mordock - I expected a little more loyalty from a fellow military man. You first say you want to find the killer. Then you say you suspect Kirkpatrick because he doesn't serve a purpose while also pointing out that you are also fairly useless. I guess you weren't so suspicious when you agreed to accept his money? I think that the treachery of the climb combined with frostbite will do more then enough to even out the rations over the next few days.

If we are in such a hurry to simply dismiss people from the expedition then I still say we should lose those who were so adamant to quit from the beginning. Choose between the useless guide and the priest. The guide seems happy to turn back and I believe the priest's prayers will be just as effective whether he's with us or not. Or we could quit bickering like children and attack this mountain as we initially planned. Let's accomplish our mission and let the proper authorities take care of the killer assuming the mountain/demons/cold/floaty abominable snowman don't beat them to it.

Nischal:

Dear Doctor, your Western attempts at medicine will have not the effect that you desire...I have lent a hand to one in dire need and if the other wishes my aid and asks for it, I will help them as well.

I have not asked to stay behind. I have asked that we be mindful of what exists up here. Do you think they will allow you to plead ignorance? I suggest you open your eyes to the world you have stumbled upon, before you put your life and the lives of all of us at risk. The spirits have struck, thrice!! I would like to plea to everyone that if one is to be left behind it is one that is putting our survival at risk. Some say there is a murderer in our midst, but I say the murderer killed not with his hands, but with his words.

Edited by maurice

Through the skills learned over years of medical expertise (and pre-expedition training) by a Dr. Hieronymus Fabricius, some ailments have been cured somewhat, distributing his abilities as he best saw fit given the situation:

[1] Framm = Scout

[2] Araver = Gregor Ivanov

[3] maurice = Nischal

[4] Blablah = Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock

[5] DD = Hieronymus Fabricius

[6] Hirkala = John the Savage

[7] DarthNoob = Vick Brontson

[8] GMaster479 = Mr. Kirkpatrick

[9] woon = Willem Klein

[10] Izzy = Brother Mandrake

[11] Dawh = Calcutta

By the end of the day further healing is possible, if one rests and stays amid warmth.

My friends.. relax. The Admiral has a point. While you had a reason to be here in the beginning, the adventure, what have you... you're of little survival benefit to the people here now.

I think it's too late for turning back, so we'll probably just have to deal. Otherwise, I suggest you just make your way down the mountain, rent yourself a nice ski resort, and drink some hot cocoa. Then, get one of your fancy schmancy helicopters, get a crew up here, and maybe some more food? When it comes to actual climbing ability.. I think you're more of a threat than not.

Vice Admiral Sebastial Mordock:

Thank you, Brother Mandrake. That is what I was trying to say. I'm sorry if it came across differently. Whatever our next course of action is, unless we conserve rations, we have one week left until we run out of food. Let us rest, while we figure out where to go from here.

Gregor:

Gregor wants to rest too. But Gregor thinks we should discover what the messages are first. Gregor thinks maybe we are to choose a staircase based on this messages. If that is the case, Gregor thinks it is foolish not to think at the messages:

UP: WELCOME BACK

LEFT: Cherubim said: sir, no fury.

RIGHT: God retorts: A pathogenic hit us.

Gregor:

Gregor thinks right is probably: "This Reads: Right To Up. Go At Once." (instead of "God retorts: A pathogenic hit us.").

Gregor found other possibilities "Cheat Note: Right Stairs Do Go Up" or "Right Path Goes Out to Darn Ices". Given the alternatives, Gregor says we should go right if we don't decipher the left message and if Scout does not have a better idea.

*Gregor going to rest now. Don't wake Gregor up unless you know what the left message reads.*