BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Gregor:

As my father said to me always, "Gregor, man should not think on an empty stomach. It makes thinking hard. Eat first, then rest. And if you still want to think, then think. Or eat again". So Gregor makes food for eating first. Not good to try to think right now. Food is plenty and Gregor can manage even if it was little.

But also Gregor thinks Master needs to find rest first. *quickly makes a cross sign and spits inside his shirt*

There is no talk for this, there is just work. For you. Gregor makes food for you so you eat when it is finished. But must be done first. No man should leave a poor soul to not have a grave.

Brother Mandrake, I do not understand all that you say. And you do not act like any orthodox priest I know. But you must do what must be done since you are closer than any of us. If Gregor can help, Gregor will. Just say to Gregor what needs to be done. Gregor sang as a boy in the local church. And helped with things around the church.

Gregor goes to make food now. Too many thinking on an empty stomach makes Gregor unhappy. God rest him. *another a cross sign*

Willem:

If you guys don't get used to sleep in the cold, then do something else but please, not keep talking and distrubing my sleep....

Damn! The night is almost coming. Can I take another 30 minutes sleep?

Day One: Suspicion: Taking turns staying up as watchguards didn't seem to achieve much today - perhaps there's just too much to watch over, or the lights in the sky are too appealing for our sentries… or perhaps there's another explanation.

Any way you have it, upon awakening at dusk, 10 rations have been destroyed. And Scout seems to have come back from scouting to have brought back a muttering man, ice clinging to his face like a crystalline beard.

"He was out in the mountains," Scout explains. "We ran into each other on the stairs."

"Who are you?" insists Brother Mandrake.

"Identify yourself!" the Vice Admiral declares.

"My name is Calcutta. I'm an American. This is World War I, the Himalayas, you crazy bastards. I can't believe anyone would be here by choice."

"What happened to you?"

"My plane was shot down. Almost out of food I decided they weren't out to rescue me. I've been trekking it solo for a week."

"Do you need any food?" someone says, to be elbowed by a partner.

"No, I have my own subsistence, don't worry," says the pilot, head angling toward his bag filled with something. "What are you guys up to?"

Meanwhile, people are arguing over the food shortage problem. "I have something that may help organize us," hints Mandrake. "And we need to face this head on. We have 80 rations now. Enough for 8 people. Calcutta and the Savage can subsist themselves but what about the other 9 of us? We don't have enough food."

"My god are you suggesting canibalism?"

"No… just, uh, truncation from the group. We need to be reasonable, and get rid of who is least valuable to us. We simply can't afford to starve on the way down."

Amid this, the harsh winds from the day are settling down. Scout has come back from surveying the first region of terrain. Night falls.

(We found a way to get dawh into the game, as Calcutta. Welcome to the game dawh :) )

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

Someone doesn't want us completing this expedition. So we need to get rid of somebody, eh? Why don't we try to get rid of the murderer. I think Mr. Kirkpatrick has a hidden agenda. What is he even doing here? (I'm sure quite a few of us are here for more reason than we're willing to reveal, but hear me out.) Mr. Kirkpatrick and myself are the only people here without any particular purpose. Now I have military training, and can most certainly be useful in a tight spot, but Mr. Kirkpatrick here is just a wealthy American. Well, Mr. Kirkpatrick, what do you have to say for yourself?

Scout, if you could pick a path for us where we could get some form of food, we should take that route (provided it's reasonably safe). It will eliminate the problem of not having enough rations.

Someone doesn't want us completing this expedition. So we need to get rid of somebody, eh? Why don't we try to get rid of the murderer. I think Mr. Kirkpatrick has a hidden agenda. What is he even doing here? (I'm sure quite a few of us are here for more reason than we're willing to reveal, but hear me out.) Mr. Kirkpatrick and myself are the only people here without any particular purpose.

You were supposed to be in charge of organizing and overseeing the expedition. And now we've had a murder and our supplies are being stolen. Perhaps if you were a bit better at your 'purpose', we'd be in better shape. I do agree though that should try to get rid of the murderer. And I hardly believe that a man as wealthy as Kirkpatrick would need to set up an expedition such as this just to murder an explorer. And I certainly don't think he'd risk doing it himself.

I think the most likely reason to murder the elder Brontson was to sabotage the expedition. I personally think that the guide (who seems to have used up his usefulness anyway by now) and the priest (whose prayers haven't done much for us lately) are the ones who have argued the loudest against continuing. Although John has also indicated he'd rather not continue, but a man of his age has learned to not speak so loudly.

We can continue these discussions as we travel tonight, there's little to be gained by sitting around here and waiting. And perhaps Calcutta would be willing to tell us how he obtained his own provisions as that would be helpful as well...

Region One:

The first region is made entirely of fragile ice sheets suspended over a mind-numbingly deep abyss, which plunges into dark icy depths. If weight is distributed unevenly, everything will collapse and plummet. Having split the group into two groups of equal weight, you are traversing certain sections of the ice sheet so as to distribute the weight. In other words you have to pick two colors as the two routes. These two colors have to be equal in terms of the area represented by the overlapping circles that make them up.

AreasInTheBigSquare.jpg

I am fairly certain that it is Blue and Green, but since y'all are the ones that could be affected. I am willing to let y'all voice your opinions on this one.

<Hieronymus>

I agree with Scout. Red and Green appear to be equal in area. Yellow looks to be slightly higher in area with Red being a little less.

Gregor:

Gregor thinks BLUE = GREEN as Scout suggested.

Taking x to be the area of the circle and y the area of an overlap Gregor says:

RED:     x- y + x-2y + x-2y + x-2y = 4x-7y

YELLOW:  x-2y + x-2y + x- y + x    = 4x-5y

BLUE:    x- y + x-3y + x-2y + x    = 4x-6y

GREEN:   x-3y + x- y + x- y + x-y  = 4x-6y

Edited by araver

The Savage

"Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice; Take each man’s censure, but reserve thy judgment." I am a quiet man by nature. Tis true that I am apprehensive about scaling this mountain. Yet, my worry is not of the rocky crag itself, yet the men I travel with. Among us stands one who would do harm to others. This, above all else, should be our focus. Finding this man and holding him responsible for the life taken should be the highest order. The mountain shall remain. Our lives may not. While I am wary of continuing on while the murderer remains, I am not suggesting that our mission end. Simply that we place our focus on the discovery of one who may sabotage our very beings. THIS should be our priority.

I am putting this out here for everyone to read, I have no information regarding the murder, but I am willing to talk to those that feel they can put their trust in me. I am also, going to do what I came here to do and claim this mountain.

I understand the worries, but there is something about this mountain, that I need to find out...

Neschal:

Anyone who cares to listen, please gather around. I have been asked about these spirits and so I will tell you what I know of the spirits in these mountains. My great uncle Ganesh made this same trek a century ago. He traveled with B.H. Hodgson a British naturalist. Some of my great uncle's peers spotted something and pointed it out to Hodgson. Hodgson documented in his notes that it was a tall two legged creature with long hair. He determined it was an orangutan. He was wrong. Orangutans live in Malaysia and Indonesia, not the Himalayas. But where he was led astray is that he saw it walking on two legs. Ganesh said there were no legs, it more or less *finds the right word* got around by utranu, umm it floated. The hair was not hair but the aura around the being. This being has been spotted since then by Westerners who do not understand what is up here. They call it Abominable Snowman and expeditions are led to capture it. Even naive locals call it Yeti or Meh-Teh. These imply that its some sort of natural beast. It is not natural, rather super-natural.

My father told me the stories that his uncle Ganesh shared with him. Ganesh and his peers called the being Sanrakshak- the guard. They knew to be weary of it. But when they returned from the expedition, some people told their friends what they saw. They decided to look for it and follow it. Ganesh went with them. Of the 20 people only 6 returned alive and sane. "Did Sanrakshak kill them?" I asked my father. Some went missing, some "fell" off a cliff. But Ganesh witnessed a man kill, in cold blood, his own best friend. When told what he did, he had no recollection nor belief of the event. It turns out the insanity was fleeting in some, including this man.

I asked my father the same question you people are thinking, "What is it that Sanrakshak protects?" The answer is Shambhala. Shambhala is an ancient, some believe only to be mythical, kingdom, hidden up in these mountains. The inhabitants of this kingdom are enlightened and do not wish to be tainted with the teachings and ways of outsiders. That includes other Asians. They are up there awaiting the time when they can usher in a Golden Age, about 500 years from now. Sanrakshak is not the only spirit up here.

I have heard other second and third-hand accounts of people, mainly Westerners, attempting to conquer this land. It rarely ends anything but badly. Brontson approached me to come along on this expedition and I only agreed because I took a liking to Brontson's charismatic personality, and because he assured me that he will be respectful and mindful of the spirits. With him gone, I do not know if we should continue. But, if we must I implore you all to understand that we must appreciate what we are up against.

I also ask that you understand there may be a fourth motive for the murder of Brontson. That is the motives of the keepers of Shambhala. It is for this reason that I suggest, if anyone stay behind it be Mr. Kirkpatrick. While I have warned Brother Mandrake against disrespecting the spirits, he and I have come to a mutual understanding. Additionally, the wealth and lifestyle of Mr. Kirkpatrick may be more of an insult to the "enlightened" than anything Brother Mandrake may utter.

Night One: Resolitaire

After a quiet battle through the night blizzard, carefully, methodically ascending the weathered broken down staircase, skirting miniature glaciers, climbing slippery cliffs, lit by bobbing lanterns, panting, limbs frozen, progressing only out of monotony and Scout's continual plodding.

At one point, where the staircase has become so degraded into a near vertical chute, it becomes necessary to skirt around the west face of the mountain and across an ice plateau, up an angled ravine to a precipice and then across a natural arch back to the mountain above the obstacle. Way up there is another place where the team could rest for the following day after a hard night.

The problem is the ice plateau… as you know it turns out to actually be just a thin sheet covering a dark plummet to death. But thanks to the ingenuity of Scout and the rest of the explorers, it is traversed without loss of life. The safest routes are deemed to be those colored green and blue by Scout's marker flags. The team, broken into two, of equal weight, cover the ground slowly, nervously, until the chasm is breached. If the wrong path had been chosen and one team went on a patch of ice that could support less weight… well, sayonara. But the traversal goes well, and the team regroups to ascend the ravine and trek across a frozen arch made of tightly packed snow. The winds whip by solemnly as the last of the team reaches the other side, finding themselves back on the staircase.

Having made it over the first region, everyone unpacks at this new junction (for the staircase spirals away in two different directions from here, but as the sun rises and the blizzard winds increase in ferocity, it becomes hard to see through the swirling madness and attention refocuses to setting up camp)… but life is not all happy go lucky on the anonymous mountain.

Based on mostly random chance of the mountain winds, afflictions have occurred overnight in the crew. If your name is green, you're physically okay (other than struggling, like everyone else, with the low oxygen level, and of course being slightly frostbitten). If your name is blue, you are dangerously frostbitten. If your name is red, you are severely frostbitten and in danger of losing life or limb.

[1] Framm = Scout

[2] Araver = Gregor Ivanov

[3] maurice = Nischal

[4] Blablah = Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock

[5] DD = Hieronymus Fabricius

[6] Hirkala = John the Savage

[7] DarthNoob = Vick Brontson

[8] GMaster479 = Mr. Kirkpatrick

[9] woon = Willem Klein

[10] Izzy = Brother Mandrake

[11] Dawh = Calcutta

Undeterred by the dim red rising sunlight and raging blizzards, someone (whose fingers aren't entirely numb) takes a lamp up to the large boulder sitting between the two branching staircases. Some kind of ancient plaque inscribed with a bizarrely scripted English (the language of science for many centuries) was at some point etched into the boulder, although now is crisscrossed with avenues of shivering alpine lichen. Sweeping aside the symbiotic fungus with a clothed arm, the beholder reads this:

WELCOME BACK

And below that, two more phrases, one to the left of the plaque, and one to the right. On the left:

Cherubim said: sir, no fury.

And to its right:

God retorts: A pathogenic hit us.

Making no heads or tails of this cryptic mythical conversation, the lanternist turns back. Meanwhile the crew is arguing over the murderer in their midst, the thief in their vicinity, the food shortage, the cold, the new crew member Calcutta, the psychological distance in Vick's eyes, the terror of the mountain above, the tortured distant cries of what could be ice spirits or perhaps just the wind whistling through the precipices. And everyone is tired and aching for rest. So begins day two.