BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

araver

Question

Eleven people awoke at the same time to find themselves in a dimly lit room.

A round doughnut table with 11 chairs was in the center of the room. Each of them began recognizing familiar faces, some of them friendly. Some of them were dressed casual, some were in their pyjamas. Shock was on almost everyone’s face. Chatter errupted almost instantly in all areas. Everybody wanted an explanation for their presence there. A few fists were even exchanged before…

… a flash ….

A hooded person appeared in the center of the table.

Gentlemen, if you please have a seat, I’m sure we can find a more civilized way of talking to each other and …

I demand an explanation!” said the President of the United States furiously while massaging his eye who had started to swell as he had just received a sneaky blow while trying to get to the British Prime Minister.

You are in no position to make demands. Take a seat or be silenced permanently!” replied the hooded figure. Slowly, one by one, all the eleven took a seat at the table.

Gentlemen, I have been watching your past actions and I think I saw enough. Each of you recklessly plays with forces beyond his control in an attempt to win a global game with no apparent rules. You are endagering your species and all the other species. This non-sense will stop now…

… Your games of diplomacy are now obsolete. I’m replacing those games with a simpler game with close similarities to some of your historical events. I think it was called Mafia. You will have plenty of time to study it and come up with an adequate winning strategy. Nothing exists outside this room unless I tell you to. So you’d better start thinking for yourselves since you will be playing for your lives. And for your nations as well.

Getting you all here was an example of my powers. And your nations are not aware that you they're missing their heads of state. Don’t break any of the rules, or I will be forced to make other similar displays. I can at any time replace you with the next in line in your nation’s hierarchy, so unless you think that person is much smarter than you, I suggest you behave.

Study the materials and learn how to play the game.This is your one and only attempt to win this. You will find confortable quarters along the hallway. We’ll adjourn in the morning!”

The hooded figure dissapeared.

They continued to discuss for a while, suspicious glances were thrown, yet no one dared to break the rules.

One by one they retreated through the hallway to their corresponding rooms. Studying was in order and after a while it became obvious that some of them have forgotten the notion long ago.

Secret Alliance

Have BTSC and a night invasion (kill).

China -- The size of the country allows for vote manipulation (x0, x1, or x2). Also, if China can successfully guess the Nation who is to receive a message from S. Korea, China may read the message OR replace it with a message of his own, but not both.

WINCON: Secretly wants revenge for the destruction of Nanking. Can only leave the game if Japan is dead.

North Korea -- Nuclear devices were just a cover for North Korea's top secret project: building a better Google Earth. They have satellites that cover the whole globe. Can spy 1 player per night, even if that player is dead. If they spy Russia, Russia learns their identity as well.

WINCON: Doesn't like their Southern brethren and will do anything to see them eliminated. Cannot leave the game until South Korea is eliminated.

Afghanistan -- Their dirty bomb threats and scuds keep a country occupied (blocked) for a night. If they target the US, their identity will be published that night.

WINCON: They hold a grudge against Russia for their past occupation. Can only leave the game if Russia is dead.

UN Alliance

USA -- Can survive through countless tragedies. Cannot die at night.

WINCON: As a firm supporter of democracy, the USA dislikes the idea of vote manipulation. Says one thing and does another--if they directly reveal their role, they are the next lynch victim regardless of votes. Must correctly RID China before leaving the game.

Russia -- Has hundreds of satellites floating in space. Can use one per night to spy a player's role and target. If either the spied player or his target that night is NorthKorea, then North Korea also learns Russia’s identity.

WINCON: Must spy one of the three baddies before leaving the game.

Japan -- Has trained many ninja assassins and is known for their stealth and technology. If spied by North Korea, Japan will appear to be South Korea. Once during the game, at night, Japan can target a player. If that player is in the baddie BTSC, he is assassinated -- removed from the BTSC and replaced by a back-up. Any information the original player had is not transferred. If the target is not a baddie, he is still replaced by the back-up and no previous information is transferred. (Any actions for that night are likewise not transferred).

WINCON: Must successfully assassinate one player before leaving the game.

South Korea -- Has a hard time dealing with their pesky northern neighbors. Silently monitors activities and can tell which player targeted which nation (instead of the other way around). S. Korea can also send a message (through the host) to one Nation. The message will be delivered the following day.

WINCON: Must successfully deliver two messages to friendly nations. The contents of the messages do not matter, as long as the messages were never intercepted by China. After the second message is delivered, S. Korea may leave the game.

England -- Has worldwide influence among its colonies. Has no action unless the USA, Australia, or Canada (AUSCANUS) is/are dead. When one of those countries dies, England takes over the actions or abilities of that nation. Every night, England must choose only one ability to use from the available list. (Note: While America's invulnerability ability is passive, England must choose in order to use it).

WINCON: Cannot leave the game until at least one of the AUSCANUS have left the game AND at least 2 of which are no longer playing UNLESS all three are dead. (For clarification, the only way for England to leave is if two AUSCANUS players have left the game OR if one has died and one has left the game OR if all three have died.)

Australia -- As a penal colony, Australia can imprison one player per night, but not the same player two nights in a row. Imprisoned players cannot act that night or vote the following day. They hire Canadian contractors to guard their prisons. WINCON: They try to prove that they are just as worthwhile as their allies. Cannot be the first of the AUS/CAN/UK/US to leave the game (they can leave, however, if at least one of the alliance is dead).

Canada -- Maintains that social healthcare is a benefit, even though they know it isn't. Saves a player on odd nights and kills on even nights. Learns the faction of players imprisoned by Australia.

WINCON: Before leaving the game, Canada must either successfully save a team mate or successfully kill an enemy.

Indy

Sweden -- A rounded nation with nothing to contribute to war. Must choose two actions to replicate per night, but can only use the same set once per game and cannot repeat an action more than twice in a row. Message transmission or interception cannot be replicated.

WINCON: Survive as long as possible. May leave the game only after at least 4 players are dead.

Leaving the game:

All WINCONs are to leave the game. In order to do so, each nation has a goal that must be accomplished. To leave the game, the player must sacrifice his night ability and declare that he wishes to leave the game. After this declaration, he must survive that night and following day. He will be allowed to vote, but his vote will count x0 at the end of the day. If he survives both, he may leave. Blocks do not prevent a player from leaving, but an imprisonment does. An imprisoned player must be freed before attempting to leave. If a player attempts to leave without completing his assigned goal, he will be informed that he cannot leave, but only AFTER the night and day cycle have completed. In this case, his vote would still count in the lynch.

Further, a player who has met his conditions for leaving does not have to do so immediately and may stay in the game for as long as he chooses, unless he is killed.

Created by Molly Mae, hosted by araver (as the Hooded Figure):

Special backup (replacement for assassinated player)

Other backups.

A few rules to add:

- Day/Nights end at 11 pm EST (6 am in my timezone). Night can end earlier if I get all actions in red but the following day will be longer and end at 11 pm EST as usual.

- We can make days/nights longer on 24th/25th/26th - let me know. Otherwise, I’d recommend putting in an early action during the day when you vote. If you make it during the night, you change it. If you don't make it, it will count as being active and still help your team.

- Order of actions: imprison > invulnerability > save > kill > block > spy/message intercept/ message transmission.

- Night Kill is stopped if target is imprisoned or saved. NK is also stopped if all members of the Secret Alliance are blocked or imprisoned that night.

- When a single faction remains, all surviving players from that faction automatically win.

Questions for host in red.

Edited by araver

Created by Molly Mae, hosted by araver (as the Hooded Figure):

1. Blablah

Can I use this as a basis for my Ancient World Mafia idea? I was trying to figure out how to go about it without offending people.

Can I use this as a basis for my Ancient World Mafia idea? I was trying to figure out how to go about it without offending people.

Technically, copyright belongs to Molly Mae. All I got was a T-shirt with a HOLA :D (Host-Once-Licence-Agreement).

Seriously now, I hope people won't take offense about this one as it is only a game with no base irl. No one gets offended about fantasy-universe Mafias or by words "kill" or "lynch" in the context, right? Or at least they should not.

But just in case:

Disclaimer: Although inspired by actual historical events, this story is fictional and not intended to depict any actual person or event.

*Shrug*

I don't care who I offend. If someone has an issue with a mafia, it's they're problem.

@Araver: I've posted a few games on MM, so I give you a HALA (Host-Always-License-Agreement) to any and all of those games, if you want them.

If this ends up starting after about the 5th of January, I might jump in. I have to move back to Illinois, get a place, and set up the internet.

@Blahblah: I have no problems with you using anything from this game. If there's a good idea out there, I think anyone should be able to use it (see: Dawh/SH's daytime voting scheme in Warcraft III).

Hooded Figure: Araver

1. Blahblah

Other backups.

1. Molly (After the new year)

Edited by Molly Mae

Let's hope I pay attention this time

1. Blahblah

2. DarthNoob

12. slick

Other backups.

If everyone on the remaining faction wins, isn't it in the best interests of a UN member to help Secret members fulfill their goals, barring direct conflict (like China-Japan)? Just let all the Secret members win, and kill Sweden, and everybody but Japan, South Korea, Russia, and Sweden will be happy. Which means the real alliances are really those four versus the other seven

- When a single faction remains, all surviving players from that faction automatically win.

If everyone on the remaining faction wins, isn't it in the best interests of a UN member to help Secret members fulfill their goals, barring direct conflict (like China-Japan)? Just let all the Secret members win, and kill Sweden, and everybody but Japan, South Korea, Russia, and Sweden will be happy. Which means the real alliances are really those four versus the other seven

Yeah, that came out wrong :D What I meant is when a single faction manages to eliminate all other players, there's no one stopping them to leave the game, except if their WinCon is no longer possible to achieve.

In your example: if the Secret Alliance manages to kill everybody but let's say Japan already managed to leave alive before this happens, theoretically no one is alive in the game to stop the Secret Alliance members from leaving by killing or imprisoning them. Except that China cannot leave and remains forever trapped since Japan is not dead and already left so cannot die. So in this case only 2 players from the Secret Alliance actually win.

Winning is an individual accomplishment, but most of the time, you need to take a side and help your teammates in order to win.

1. Blahblah

2. DarthNoob

3. Hirkala

4. EDM

5. JS

9. maurice

12. slick

Other backups.

ok, ok

1. Blahblah

2. DarthNoob

3. Hirkala

4. EDM

5. JS

6. Framm

9. maurice

12. slick

Other backups.

DN is back and so is JS.

Long time no see DN. Can't remember if I played with JS?

1. Blahblah

2. DarthNoob

3. Hirkala

4. EDM

5. JS

6. Framm

7. Petrus

9. maurice

12. slick

Other backups.

Edited by Petrus

Two Questions:

1) Do we post that we are leaving in the main thread or do we PM you that we are leaving?

2) For Canada's Wincon. I am guessing that they have to kill on of the China, N. Korea, or Afghanistan?

Just making sure I understand the rules.

1) PM at night. Instead of normal action you choose LEAVE.

You are not told if you are allowed to until the end of the next day. So you may try to leave whenever you think your WinCon is achieved, but you might be wrong and find out at the end of the next day that you are not able to leave (in which case you lost your action for a night).

2) :rolleyes: Yes. I'll rephrase it to read "kill one of the Secret Alliance members"

If on here may I join.

Adding Segul's name to the roster as he seemed interested in joining.

1. Blahblah

2. DarthNoob

3. Hirkala

4. EDM

5. JS

6. Framm

7. Petrus

8. Segul

9. maurice

12. slick

Other backups.

Edited by araver

And a correction for the Indy WinCon as I just figured that half of 10 = 5 not 4 :(

Also, assassination cannot be replicated.

Indy

Sweden -- A rounded nation with nothing to contribute to war. Must choose two actions to replicate per night, but can only use the same set once per game and cannot repeat an action more than twice in a row. Message transmission or interception and assassination cannot be replicated.

WINCON: Survive as long as possible. May leave the game only after at least 4 5 players are dead.

1. Blahblah

2. DarthNoob

3. Hirkala

4. EDM

5. JS

6. Framm

7. Petrus

8. firno

9. maurice

12. slick

Other backups.

1. Blahblah

2. DarthNoob

3. Hirkala

4. EDM

5. JS

6. Framm

7. Petrus

8. Segul

9. maurice

10.firno

12. slick

Other backups.