BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This is my first post (just joined) so i apologize if this is something that's been covered before. This is one of my favorite teasers so I thought I would share.

A man is leaving his house to walk to town 35 miles away. He walks at a pace of 5 miles per hour, with negligible time spent drinking water. As he sets off, a bee leaves at the exact same time he does, but travels at 12 miles per hour. The bee flies all the way to the town, instantly turns around and flies back to the man. Once it reaches the man, it instantly turns around and heads back to the town again and continues in this fashion until the man reaches the town.

How far did the bee travel?

Edited by Noct

4 answers to this question

This is my first post (just joined) so i apologize if this is something that's been covered before. This is one of my favorite teasers so I thought I would share.

A man is leaving his house to walk to town 35 miles away. He walks at a pace of 5 miles per hour, with negligible time spent drinking water. As he sets off, a bee leaves at the exact same time he does, but travels at 12 miles per hour. The bee flies all the way to the town, instantly turns around and flies back to the man. Once it reaches the man, it instantly turns around and heads back to the town again and continues in this fashion until the man reaches the town.

How far did the bee travel?

84 miles

It took 7 hours (35/5) to the man to reach the town.

During the 7 hours, the bee travelled: 7hrs*12miles/hr = 84miles