BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hi guys! Please help me with this one - I am sure there is enough brains in here! I cant wait to see how fast you can solve it!

It goes like this:

8921 = 3

2222 = 0

6923 = 2

5555 = 0

9999 = 4

3568 = 3

7325 = 0

3281 = ????

Kids not even 1st grade solve it in 3 to 4 minutes. Only 10% of adults solve it... in two days...

What is the number?

B))

11 answers to this question

the holes in the numbers....in the number 8 there are 2, in the number 9 there is 1. Any closed space in a number. 1,2,3 have none, but 6,8,9,0 have holes or closed spaces. If that makes sense

The answer is 2. WHY?... The numbers: 1,3,5,7,and 2 are worth zero. Nines are worth 1 point, sixes are worth 1 and eights are worth 2. Add the new sequence of four numbers [after substituting these new values or "worths"].

Hi guys! Please help me with this one - I am sure there is enough brains in here! I cant wait to see how fast you can solve it!

It goes like this:

8921 = 3

2222 = 0

6923 = 2

5555 = 0

9999 = 4

3568 = 3

7325 = 0

3281 = ????

Kids not even 1st grade solve it in 3 to 4 minutes. Only 10% of adults solve it... in two days...

What is the number?

B))

HINT: I added the answer in the spoiler. It took me 1-2 hours. Don't over-think it or use any math more complex than a little simple addition. The 4 numbers before each equal sign can actually be substituted for a letter (every #1 is an A, every #2 is a B, etc.). Each letter represents a (small) number. Kind of like Cryptoquote puzzles. Concentrate on the sets that equal zero, and the one that equals four. Actually, it's an easy problem once you see the answer.

Edited by have_hope

2 (No. of circles in each number)

Hi HB921 :unsure: Your answer is correct but for wrong reason- I believe. It's a little more complex but not too hard. Please see my other post on 11/21 by "have_hope". The reasoning as described in my 'Spoiler' post makes a lot of sense. Let me know what you think. :rolleyes:

Edited by have_hope

That was easy and let me tell you I am not an adult yet. :rolleyes:

Can I ask how you obtained your answer? Just curious. My earlier 'Spoiler' post explaines mine. I see several posts with different ideas. Thanks! (Remember to use 'Spoiler' again B)) )

Since 2222=0, all 2's are worth zero points. The same with 5555=0, and 7325=0. All numbers 2,5,7, and 3 are worth zero.

If 9999=4, then all nines are worth one point (1+1+1+1=4).

With 8921=3, we already know the nine is worth one, the 2 & 3 are worth zero so the 8 has to be worth 2 pts. Now substitute each number by it's value/worth (2+1+0+0=3).

With 6923=2, the 9 is 1 pt, the 2 & 3 are 0 pts, so 6's must be worth 1 pt. (1+1+0+0=2)

The question 3281=? We just substitute the 'worth' of each number, and we get 0+0+2+0=? The answer is 2. :)

the holes in the numbers....in the number 8 there are 2, in the number 9 there is 1. Any closed space in a number. 1,2,3 have none, but 6,8,9,0 have holes or closed spaces. If that makes sense

WOW! :) I have to give you credit for coming up with the right answer in a very very clever way! If you don't mind me sharing, I used an easy mathmatical/substitution method. Please see Spoiler above. I hope this Spoiler explanation is easy to understand. :rolleyes:

Edited by have_hope