BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

When a clairvoyant told me that I`m gonna live only 83 years, I felt sad.

I am now 57 years old,and I wish to find any way to keep me (young!)or to make me younger!!

As I was thinking about it, a Demon appears to me from nowhere!

He said,,well lets make a deal...

" Which deal?" I replied,He continued,From now on,,you will live a hole year with a fixed age,then on each 1st.January

you will be 2.5 years younger,and again you are going to live the new age a hole year,and so on...17 years successively.But after that, and on each 1st, January, each year you`ll be 4 years older!! till you die.

And all what I want is to possess your body!!..Do you agree?

Shall I take the risk?

which is better to me? why?

My son is now 26 years old,

during the 1st. 17 years..after how many years we will have the same age?

during the 2nd. phase...after how many years we will have the same age again?

Huhahahuhuhahaahaa...(its the Demon...not me..) :rolleyes:

15 answers to this question

Phase 1- At 10 years, the closest to being that same is that you will be 34.5yrs old, and your son will be 35.

Phase 2- At 25 years, the closest to being that same is that you will be 49yrs old, and your son will be 50.

In the end:

If you take the deal you will die in 34 years (when you jump from 81 to 85 years old).

If you do not take the deal, you will die in 26 years (when you turn 83).

Technically your body lives longer if you take the deal, but considering your body will be possessed and "you" will be taken out of the equation, you might as well be killing yourself when you take the deal. So to live longer, don't take the deal.

hmm...I think i didn't mess up

• For you to reach 17 from 57 years it will take
    40/2.5 = 16 years
    • For you to reach 83 from 16 years it will take

83-16 = 67

67/4 = 16,75 years

83-57 = 26 years.

SUM UP:

If you take the deal you will reach 83 in a total of 16 + 16,75 = 34,75 years

if you DON'T take the deal you will reach 83 in a total of 26 years

Answer no1 : If you want to live longer take the deal.

Your son is now 26 years old so:

Years| You |Your Son

2010 - 57 - 26

2011 - 54.5 - 27

2012 - 52 - 28

2013 - 49.5 - 29 (By the way the commet will fall on earth by then so we will all be dead haha :D )

2014 - 47 - 30

2015 - 44.5 - 31

2016 - 42 - 32

2017 - 39.5 - 33

2018 - 37 - 34

2019 - 34.5 - 35

Answer no2: You and your son will be at same age at (Aproximately) March 2018.8 years from now

2020 - 32 - 36

2021 - 29.5 - 37

2022 - 27 - 38

2023 - 24.5 - 39

2024 - 22 - 40

2025 - 19.5 - 41

2026 - 17 - 42 (From now on you grow by 4 years)

2027 - 21 - 43

2028 - 25 - 44

2029 - 29 - 45

2030 - 33 - 36

2031 - 37 - 37

Answer no3:You and your son we re-reach the same age at 2031.21 years from now

ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE:Looking this puzzle from another perspective we may find it impossible to answer.Think about that:

The devil said you will grow(or lose years, doesn't matter) every certain amount of years.But does it matter?The guy who told you how much you will live

told you you will live 83 years...earth years?Even if your body grows at a x4 rate you will still be living the same years with someone at your age(57)

ANOTHER ANSWER : If i were you i wouldn't take the deal.Losing ages would be an expirience abnormal for your body.You may suffer psysically and psychologicaly (watcing others getting older).It will definately have a negative impact on your life.And then again imagine growing in a x4 rate (Physical suffer again.).Dying at the age of 83 isn't that bad.Remember not to mess up with the Demon.He is there only to put us into temptations.Wouldn't your life be more relaxed if you didn't know about the deal and the fact that you will die at 83?

[*]For you to reach 83 from 57 years it will take

57-17 = 40 Edited by Tsopi

The clairvoyant said you would only live 83 years. Even if you're not aging or even regressing in age, you would still be living through those years. So no matter what, you would still only have seventeen to sixteen years left to live (depending on how close you are to your birthday). Therefore, your choices are to live seventeen more years in seniority but freely, or to live seventeen more years while getting younger but being captive to a devil. If it were me, I'd chose the former. As for your son, if you thought it would be fun to be possessed, you would be about the same age in ten years, but after that you'd die at the age of fourteen.

Technically your body lives longer if you take the deal, but considering your body will be possessed and "you" will be taken out of the equation, you might as well be killing yourself when you take the deal. So to live longer, don't take the deal.

Do not forget that he will leave 83 years.If the demon would decide to kill him there is no reason to do calculations...it is all up to devil.

Edited by Tsopi

The clairvoyant said you would only live 83 years. Even if you're not aging or even regressing in age, you would still be living through those years. So no matter what, you would still only have seventeen to sixteen years left to live (depending on how close you are to your birthday). Therefore, your choices are to live seventeen more years in seniority but freely, or to live seventeen more years while getting younger but being captive to a devil. If it were me, I'd chose the former. As for your son, if you thought it would be fun to be possessed, you would be about the same age in ten years, but after that you'd die at the age of fourteen.

Whoops, not thinking. You would live 27 more years, not 17. But the same principle applies. However, you would pass your son again after another ten years and die at the age of your son: 54.

2025 - 19.5 - 41

2027 - 21 - 43

2028 - 25 - 44

2029 - 29 - 45

2030 - 33 - 36

2031 - 37 - 37

You mis-numbered :duh:

Do not forget that he will leave 83 years.If the demon would decide to kill him there is no reason to do calculations...it is all up to devil.

Good point! Even better reasoning not to make deals with the devil :thumbsup:

Edited by Brandonb

I haven't taken a look into other people's answers, but here's my guess:

1. Yes, you should make a pact with the Demon if you want to live more time.

Taking the offer will let you live for another 35 years (+9 years vs not taking the deal)

2. You'll die of age 86.5

3. Considering that the day of the pact is year zero, youl have around the same age as your son in years 9 and 26

4. It would be rather awkward to get younger every year, and what's worse.... later getting too old too fast in the second phase!

Hence, try enjoying the rest of your normal life (you get the extra bonus of NOT being possessed by the Demon)

yes cause i would have 34 years left to live instead of only 26 and get to be "young n wild" all over again lol

it would take 8 years during the first phase to be the same age as my son and 5.5 to 6 years in the second phase. at least thats what i got lol

lets hope im right haha

Phase 1- At 10 years, the closest to being that same is that you will be 34.5yrs old, and your son will be 35.

Phase 2- At 25 years, the closest to being that same is that you will be 49yrs old, and your son will be 50.

In the end:

If you take the deal you will die in 34 years (when you jump from 81 to 85 years old).

If you do not take the deal, you will die in 26 years (when you turn 83).

Thanks Dear Brandonb!your advice is worthy!..I`ll think about it..

• For you to reach 17 from 57 years it will take
    40/2.5 = 16 years
    • For you to reach 83 from 16 years it will take

83-16 = 67

67/4 = 16,75 years

83-57 = 26 years.

SUM UP:

If you take the deal you will reach 83 in a total of 16 + 16,75 = 34,75 years

if you DON'T take the deal you will reach 83 in a total of 26 years

Answer no1 : If you want to live longer take the deal.

Your son is now 26 years old so:

Years| You |Your Son

2010 - 57 - 26

2011 - 54.5 - 27

2012 - 52 - 28

2013 - 49.5 - 29 (By the way the commet will fall on earth by then so we will all be dead haha :D )

2014 - 47 - 30

2015 - 44.5 - 31

2016 - 42 - 32

2017 - 39.5 - 33

2018 - 37 - 34

2019 - 34.5 - 35

Answer no2: You and your son will be at same age at (Aproximately) March 2018.8 years from now

2020 - 32 - 36

2021 - 29.5 - 37

2022 - 27 - 38

2023 - 24.5 - 39

2024 - 22 - 40

2025 - 19.5 - 41

2027 - 21 - 43

2028 - 25 - 44

2029 - 29 - 45

2030 - 33 - 36

2031 - 37 - 37

Answer no3:You and your son we re-reach the same age at 2031.21 years from now

ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE:Looking this puzzle from another perspective we may find it impossible to answer.Think about that:

The devil said you will grow(or lose years, doesn't matter) every certain amount of years.But does it matter?The guy who told you how much you will live

told you you will live 83 years...earth years?Even if your body grows at a x4 rate you will still be living the same years with someone at your age(57)

ANOTHER ANSWER : If i were you i wouldn't take the deal.Losing ages would be an expirience abnormal for your body.You may suffer psysically and psychologicaly (watcing others getting older).It will definately have a negative impact on your life.And then again imagine growing in a x4 rate (Physical suffer again.).Dying at the age of 83 isn't that bad.Remember not to mess up with the Demon.He is there only to put us into temptations.Wouldn't your life be more relaxed if you didn't know about the deal and the fact that you will die at 83?

Woooooooow...what a nice decision and wise advice!!...thank you dear Tsopi !

[*]For you to reach 83 from 57 years it will take

57-17 = 40

I`d like to thank you dear friend!...you are right !

yes cause i would have 34 years left to live instead of only 26 and get to be "young n wild" all over again lol

it would take 8 years during the first phase to be the same age as my son and 5.5 to 6 years in the second phase. at least thats what i got lol

lets hope im right haha

yes you are right ,but only in"young n wild"...lol