BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

In a museum, there were these pictures on the wall, of great heroes and nationalists displayed for all visitors to see. One day, John went to the museum and had the opportunity to go from one picture to the other, reading about the achievements of each of these great men and women hanging on the wall and taking notes. However, when he got to where one particular picture was, he took more than a casual interest in it, as he stared at it earnestly for over 30mins. While he was at it, Harry came in and noticed the interest with which John was looking at the picture and was thus prompted to ask, "who is that" Harry asked John, pointing at the same picture.

In reply, John said,

"Brothers and sisters I have none, but this man's father is my father's son"

Now if you are Harry, who's picture was John looking at?

16 answers to this question

In a museum, there were these pictures on the wall, of great heroes and nationalists displayed for all visitors to see. One day, John went to the museum and had the opportunity to go from one picture to the other, reading about the achievements of each of these great men and women hanging on the wall and taking notes. However, when he got to where one particular picture was, he took more than a casual interest in it, as he stared at it earnestly for over 30mins. While he was at it, Harry came in and noticed the interest with which John was looking at the picture and was thus prompted to ask, "who is that" Harry asked John, pointing at the same picture.

In reply, John said,

Harry was looking at John

In reply, John said,

John is looking at the picture of his son

his son, I heard this one in high school, about 10 years ago. I'm always amazed at the answers people give me when I ask them to solve this riddle. They always come up with some crazy response,"his step dad" and so on and so on.

Edited by misticmeth

I really think that Harry was looking at John.

To solve this problem I emphasized the sentence at the end

That part is pretty obvious you see

a=the person in the painting

b=father of person in the painting

c=John's Father

d=John

put them all together and you will get John as your answer

I think and hope :0

Not to repeat my answer, but ...

A false premise permits a false conclusion.

"If A then B" is logically equivalent to "^A or B".

If A is false, ^A is true, and the conjunction is true.

Thus, "If 2+2=5, then New York is a small city"

Since I'm not Harry, and the premise is "if you are Harry," I choose the Mona Lisa. B))

Well, she is intriguing, if not actually "hot". :huh: