BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Okay, bugs and bugettes! WALLY is coming for your brains. WALLY wishes to steal your mental health with confusing problems!

Here goes:

1. Rearrange these letters to make one new word: NEW NEW DOOR

2. What do you find in seconds, minutes, and centuries, but not in days, years, or decades?

3. Which is correct, "Seven eights ARE fifty four" or "Seven eights IS fifty four"?

4. Three men in a boat each had a cigarette, but they had no match, fire, or lighter. How did they light the cigarettes?

5. A clock strikes six in five seconds. How long does it take to strike twelve?

6. What was the US president's name in 1984? (don't google this one! It's simpler than that!)

7. If two men can dig two holes in two days, how long does it take one man to dig half a hole?

8. An 80-year-old prisoner was kept inside a high security prison with all the doors locked. He broke out. How?

9. If the post office clerk refused to stick a $4 stamp on your package, would you stick it on yourself?

There you go.

I don't believe in giving the answers right off the bat, so I will post them a little later...

23 answers to this question

2. What do you find in seconds, minutes, and centuries, but not in days, years, or decades?

3. Which is correct, "Seven eights ARE fifty four" or "Seven eights IS fifty four"?

4. Three men in a boat each had a cigarette, but they had no match, fire, or lighter. How did they light the cigarettes?

6. What was the US president's name in 1984? (don't google this one! It's simpler than that!)

7. If two men can dig two holes in two days, how long does it take one man to dig half a hole?

8. An 80-year-old prisoner was kept inside a high security prison with all the doors locked. He broke out. How?

9. If the post office clerk refused to stick a $4 stamp on your package, would you stick it on yourself?

1. ONE NEW WORD

2. The letter N

3. 7*8 is 56, naturally, but "Seven eights ARE fifty six" is better, although "Seven times eight IS fifty six," and "Seven eighths IS ... well, seven eighths."

4. Hmmm. Using the sun and a magnifying glass?

5. 5/6 * 12 = 10 seconds, if you're looking for the time it takes for the chimes to sound, and it will strike 12 o'clock in 6 hours and 5 seconds if you're looking for how long before it reaches 12.

6. Ronald Reagan

7. One day

8. Umm, he ate some food he was allergic to and "broke out" in a rash?

9. Yes I would, if I had a $4 stamp, if such a stamp existed, and if the post office was not denying me that service for some other legitimate reason.

1. one new word

2. Letter N

3. don't know

4. There were more men in the boat, and they lit them for the three men

5. If your counting from six o'clock: I'd say 6 hours

6. What

7. There is know such thing as half a hole

8. Don't know, windows were open?

9. No. Probably something dangerous in it?

Can't think of one new word

No idea

Too hard thought about it 56 times, is that too many

4. Three men in a boat each had a cigarette, but they had no match, fire, or lighter.

How did they light the cigarettes?

I'll ask the 4th man in the boat and get back 2u

t'l take me 6 hrs and 5 seconds to work that out

6. What was the US president's name in 1984? (don't google this one! It's simpler than that!) What was not the president

Nothing to this one!

8. An 80-year-old prisoner was kept inside a high security prison with all the doors locked. He broke out. How? food poisoning!

Yes If it was 1st class, I never travel 2nd class

1.ONE NEW WORD

2.The letter N.

3.Neither. Seven eights is FIFTY SIX.

4.The boat was DOCKED.The men lit their cigarettes on land.

5.SIX HOURS.

6.WHAT.

7.Please tell me of a place where I CAN FIND HALF A HOLE.

8.He was on the death row.His LAST WISH WAS TO BREAK OUT.

9.NO.I would never stick it on MYSELF.Iwould stick it on the PACKAGE instead.

1. One new word

2. N

3. both are wrong..seven eights is 56

4. the boat was on the shore, they got down and lit them

5. 6 hrs

6. NO, what was not the president.

7. half a hole???

8. by breaking the windows...

9. No, I'll stick it on the package

Neither.

asked their girlfriends who were with them for a match?

eleven seconds

George W bush

one day - for a hole half the size.

window?

no, that would be way too messy, and the package wouldn't get delivered.

2. What do you find in seconds, minutes, and centuries, but not in days, years, or decades? N's

3. Which is correct, "Seven eights ARE fifty four" or "Seven eights IS fifty four"? Its fifty-six.

4. Three men in a boat each had a cigarette, but they had no match, fire, or lighter. How did they light the cigarettes? Heard it a long time back, its a killer!!! Throw one person off the boat and it gets lighter, u can then use the lighter to light the cigarette

5. A clock strikes six in five seconds. How long does it take to strike twelve? 11

6. What was the US president's name in 1984? (don't google this one! It's simpler than that!) Same as now

7. If two men can dig two holes in two days, how long does it take one man to dig half a hole? There is nothing called half a hole

8. An 80-year-old prisoner was kept inside a high security prison with all the doors locked. He broke out. How? He died?

9. If the post office clerk refused to stick a $4 stamp on your package, would you stick it on yourself? Yes, if i have one

1. Rearrange these letters to make one new word:

one new word

N

neither, 7/8

put them in the sun so they lit up (as in they were visable, not smokable)?

10 seconds

Mr President? or is this in refrence to the book 1984, if so I don't think there was a presindent, just big brother.

You can't dig half a hole

?

Probably not, I wouldn't see the point of sticking stamps on myself, although it might be the new fashion.

1. Rearrange these letters to make one new word: NEW NEW DOOR ONE NEW WORD

2. What do you find in seconds, minutes, and centuries, but not in days, years, or decades? The letter N

3. Which is correct, "Seven eights ARE fifty four" or "Seven eights IS fifty four"? Neither-7*8=56

4. Three men in a boat each had a cigarette, but they had no match, fire, or lighter. How did they light the cigarettes? many possible answers here-don't know which you are looking for.

They asked the captain for a light

They asked the guys on the dock for a light

They got of the boat (alit from the boat)

5. A clock strikes six in five seconds. How long does it take to strike twelve? 6 hours, 5 seconds

6. What was the US president's name in 1984? (don't google this one! It's simpler than that!) Ronald Reagan/ Big Brother

7. If two men can dig two holes in two days, how long does it take one man to dig half a hole? 1 day

8. An 80-year-old prisoner was kept inside a high security prison with all the doors locked. He broke out. How? again, many possible answers

he faked a heart attack

he fell asleep, and they thought he had died

he got a pardon from President (put in a name here-don't want to be political)

he got a big case of acne

9. If the post office clerk refused to stick a $4 stamp on your package, would you stick it on yourself? why not, not that putting a stamp on yourself does any good, it does a lot more good on the package.

3. Which is correct, "Seven eights ARE fifty four" or "Seven eights IS fifty four"? Neither, 56 & 7/8.

4. Three men in a boat each had a cigarette, but they had no match, fire, or lighter. How did they light the cigarettes? It was sunny out, so the sun shone light upon them. (they couldn't smoke them, however, just see them.)

5. A clock strikes six in five seconds. How long does it take to strike twelve? 6 hours, 5 seconds

6. What was the US president's name in 1984? (don't google this one! It's simpler than that!) His name was still George W. Bush then.

7. If two men can dig two holes in two days, how long does it take one man to dig half a hole? 1 day (if they dig at the same rate)

8. An 80-year-old prisoner was kept inside a high security prison with all the doors locked. He broke out. How? He died.

9. If the post office clerk refused to stick a $4 stamp on your package, would you stick it on yourself? No, I wasn't mailing myself.

3. Which is correct, "Seven eights ARE fifty four" or "Seven eights IS fifty four"? Neither, 56 & 7/8.

4. Three men in a boat each had a cigarette, but they had no match, fire, or lighter. How did they light the cigarettes? It was sunny out, so the sun shone light upon them. (they couldn't smoke them, however, just see them.)

6. What was the US president's name in 1984? (don't google this one! It's simpler than that!) His name was still George W. Bush then.

7. If two men can dig two holes in two days, how long does it take one man to dig half a hole? 1 day (if they dig at the same rate)

8. An 80-year-old prisoner was kept inside a high security prison with all the doors locked. He broke out. How? He died.

9. If the post office clerk refused to stick a $4 stamp on your package, would you stick it on yourself? No, I wasn't mailing myself.

EDIT: I just read the other posts and realized that you can't dig half a hole. Snap!

[spoiler='The actual answers for Wally:

']1. ONE NEW WORD

2. The letter 'N'

3. Neither-Seven eights are FIFTY SIX

4. They threw one cigarette away, thus making the boat a cigarette lighter

5. 11 seconds. There are 11 intervals as opposed to 5.

6. Whoever the current U.S. president is. Whis time then was the same as it is today.

7. Tom Hanks and Carl Lewis.

8. No time-you can't have half a hole

9. He broke out with measles!

10. You should stick it on the package, not on yourself!

Haven't read the other posts yet, as didn't want to spoil the answers or bias myself towards a specific way of thinking.

1. ONE NEW WORD

2. the letter n

3. if you're talking about a math problem, then neither. If you're talking about grammar, the former. This issue has been covered in depth in another post.

5. Either 10 seconds? or 6 hours and 5 seconds.

6. Mr. President.

7. I wasn't aware that you could have half of a hole, but... if we say there is a common unit of measurement, then 1 day.

8. He broke out in hives

9. No, I would stick it on the package

[spoiler='The actual answers for Wally:

']

3. Neither-Seven eights are FIFTY SIX

4. They threw one cigarette away, thus making the boat a cigarette lighter

I disagree with your number 4. Maybe if you asked "how they found a cigarette lighter", but the boat is a cigarette lighter, but this evades the original question. (yes i do get the pun). And i already referred to your # 3. The post i referred to can be found here http://brainden.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42

Plus i don't get your #7 at all. Please explain.

Edited by Noct

Okay, bugs and bugettes! WALLY is coming for your brains. WALLY wishes to steal your mental health with confusing problems!

Here goes:

There you go.

I don't believe in giving the answers right off the bat, so I will post them a little later...

1)one new word

2)the letter n

3)neither

4)the sun and glasses

5)double the time if you mean it sounds for 5 seconds so 10 seconds

6)George W. Bush still

7)you can't dig half a hole

8)could be a car, it doesn't say he didn't lock the doors himself. So he let himself out

9)i wouldn't put it on my 'body'

==> ONE NEW WORD

==> n

==> Seven eights ARE fifty six

--

==> five sec. (not sure)

==> G.W Bush

==> there is no half a hole

==> through the window

==> no way

Here goes:

There you go.

1. ONE NEW DOOR

2. the letter "N"

3. neither - seven times eight is 56.

7. you can't dig half a hole.

Here goes:

There you go.

1. ONE NEW WORD

2. N

3. Neither. 7 x 8 = 56

4. They didn't (I haven't actually heard thsi one before...this is a guess)

5. 5 seconds.

6. George W. Bush. He was still George W. Bush in 1984.

7. You can't dig half a hole.

8. He broke out in a rash.

9. No. What would sticking a stamp on my body do for me?

1. ONE NEW WORD

2. The letter n

3. Neither. 7 8's are 56

4. ???

5. 10 seconds?

6. Uh...Whatever his name was? Or the president?

7. You can't dig half a hole

8. windows?

9. I don't know about you but I don't want a $4 stamp.