BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

gvg

Question

Haha. I was waiting for the page to load, and my exact thought was, "Okay, do I just pick atheist or complain about Jedi not being on there?" Pleasantly surprised. :D

Agnostic with God? "I'm not sure, but I think God exists."? I think there's another term for that stance, but it eludes me at the moment.

And Sith, btw. Unless you mean Pastafarian?

Edited by Izzy

I think the one beginning with "P" must be Phronism. Though we are not like Jedi in principle, since we incorporate all the good ideas in every religion, plus a few of our own. OK, the Jedi do that a bit too, but that's incidental. Well I voted "P" anyway, but that doesn't mean I'm not offended.

Pastafarians definitely need an entry there. You don't want to offend them me hearty, they've been known to keel-haul any scurvy dog who offends their religious sensibilities.

Wenhao: It means that you either think God is there or not, but either way, you don't know (hence THINK).

Least that's what I've always made it out to be.

Izzy: Glad you're surprised =)

Octo: I apologize. i really didn't know what it was, since I've only seen it mentioned once (I think it was one of Izzy's threads... The Jedi one maybe?)

To anyone else offended by my leaving out there religion: I am sorry. I really am. Is there a way to still edit the poll and fix that, or is that it? Still figuring out the system a :blush: little

EDM: Woah, you're right. Didn't even think. Very sorry to all Muslims out there. VERY SORRY. =) It really wasn't on purpose. Now I'm VERY glad that I put in the 'other' option :lol::P

Tiger: Now that sounds interesting. Now I wonder if I am a mix. Though personally, I hate religious titles, just like I hate party systems. But since there is no other way to get views across quickly... *sigh*

EDM: Woah, you're right. Didn't even think. Very sorry to all Muslims out there. VERY SORRY. =) It really wasn't on purpose.
Tsk, tsk. You'll have the black spot and a fatwa on you at this rate. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Just to point out, atheism is not a religion.

FYI, theists generally use this tactic(atheism as a religion)as a counter attack when asked for evidence of their own beliefs. Their logic being - atheists believe in non-existence of god without any concrete proof to show that god doesn't exist. As such atheism is also faith based and constitutes a religion.

Some faulty logic that.

I voted agnostic without god, though i think there should have just been agnostic period. I voyed no god not because im more athiestic but im more non christian god than pro christian version of god. As to the existence of some sort of creator of the universe im completely ambivilent on it. I dont believe it makes one bit of difference one way or the other.

Or they use this as proof that the arguments for atheism are fallacious. :rolleyes:

photo.jpg

:blink: How is the stock parting shot "I'll pray for you" not in there? A serious oversight.

@gvg:

"atheist" is an adjective denoting those who are not theist (do not hold or promote a belief in god/gods)

As such "atheism" is a bit of an odd word. Unlike other "isms" it doesn't correspond to a belief system, only the absence of a particular type of belief. Technically, it wouldn't even be true to say that all atheists believe in the non-existence of gods, just that no atheists believe in their existence. What differentiates atheists from agnostics is a matter of emphasis. Atheists are generally more sure they don't believe in gods.

Octo: Makes sense. We'll call it a description then :thumbsup:

And yeah, where IS I'll pray for you? I've seen it so many times on this site alone :D

Quag: I had just agnostic at first, but I changed it, because I think there is a difference between "Not sure, but don't think God's there" and "Not sure, but I think God's there." I with the second statement, but that doesn't mean my God is Christian like. To me, he's the starter, the law maker. He started it and hasn't touched anything since the beginning (Just like the last post I said, don't want to repeat myself.)

Or they use this as proof that the arguments for atheism are fallacious. :rolleyes:

photo.jpg

haha... you also missed quote mining and presenting disagreements between scientists as proof that scientists no longer believe in evolution theory, it is seriously flawed, blah blah blah.....

I had just agnostic at first, but I changed it, because I think there is a difference between "Not sure, but don't think God's there" and "Not sure, but I think God's there." I with the second statement, but that doesn't mean my God is Christian like. To me, he's the starter, the law maker. He started it and hasn't touched anything since the beginning (Just like the last post I said, don't want to repeat myself.)

So you're a Deist, then?

edit: grammar goof :huh:

Edited by LJayden

LJ: You know, that's what I thought at first, and I don't remember what it was...

Oh wait, i do. Deists are 100% sure God is there (At least it said so on Wiki... but you can't trust that can you? ^_^ ). I'm not. Call it 50 50. I think he's there, but I see no proof.

You know, I just thought of an interesting idea: What if 'God' is Science? That is to say, all that we attribute to God (Physical not moral here) is really science? The laws of Physics are God's grand scheme, evolution is his 'creationism.'

I dunno. Would it be right to worship science? (Not saying I do, but it's an interesting idea. Or is what I just described atheism?)

GVG i Understand your comment but I have no leaning one way or the other. I just went for the agnostic leaning against god because i do not believe in Christ and most of the pro god people on here seem to be christians (5 christians Vs 3-4 others depending on if you count agnostics who are pro god). I neither believe nor disbelive in any sort of god, I do not know and do not see any way shape or form of a god(s) existence, where worrying about him/her/it/them makes any difference. I fit very will into the just plain agnostic category.

Atheist –noun

a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Agnostic –noun

1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as god, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.

2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

Just to add actual dictionnary definitions to the terms :)

And yes you left out Islam and also Taoism and Bahai

the bit about god is science sounds like a lot of peoples version of god. ie set the universe in motion and let in unfold. But come to think of it, every religion accepts that god created the laws of physics, as far as i know. So that would actually pretty much include every religion.