BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

If this makes no sense I apologize. I'm sleepy.

Finally watched the video. It definitely made me think. And many points in it are true. I sometimes, when I'm in a quiet place, think. i look at religion vs. science. I see the 'miracles' of one vs. the other. Science wins everytime. It just amazes me; I'm shocked into science everyday. And this guy also says what I think: NONE of this disproves God, a creator. If you look at it, you can call science (if you believe in God) the study of God. (otherwise, you call it science :thumbsup: )

I also peaked at some of the other videos, but it was all stuff that I knew: Religion doesn't automatically = moral, you can be spiritual without belief in God, etc. etc.

LJ: You see direct Godly intervention. I see a comlex system of learned talent mixed with almost random genetics, started with evolution, which began when life came together from organic matter, which happened after the earth was created 4.6 billion years ago, etc. etc. Now I also think that there is a God who started everything up by creating the laws of physics, then sitting back. he's there, but hasn't touched anything in 13.6 billion years (That's what it is right? Or is it 14.6? I forget.). Truthfully though, I don't really know... I see less of a reason for GOd everytime I look at it, but can't fully discount or prove him (that's why I'm agnostic)

And even if bible areas are real, doesn't mean the stories are true. Sodom and Gomorrah could've have been destroyed by a fire, maybe a meteor shower. The calf might have been worshipped, but it doesn't mean anything punished them later.

Edited by gvg

I loved the video.

A few years ago for a brief period of time I was one of the people who found the thought that the universe is going to eventually come to an end depressing. I thought that in the end everything was pointless because of this. No matter what I accomplished, no matter what humanity accomplished, it wouldn't matter in the end. I argued with myself and others and soon found several reasons to change my mind. When watching this video present the thought that a finite amount of time is depressing, I couldn't help but smile at how much I have learned and realized since I held that view.

Why does life have to have a meaning? Why should that meaning be to please a jealous sky-fairy? Doesn't living for eternity undermine how awesome life actually is? The "just a bunch of stardust" as you so enthusiastically put it, shows the complex intertwining of our universe. This is so much more magical (and logical) than some sky-fairy going "Ah, yes *throws some dirt together* PEOPLE!" :rolleyes:

One thought that I had a couple years ago that made me realize how silly it was to even consider calling the universe that I was learning about "pointless" was the alternative. Consider that your existence has a point, has a meaning. Pretend that you have a purpose. What is it? To enjoy living in Heaven?

What's the point of that? (It's the same as an atheist's life) It was at this thought that I realized that it was the word itself ("pointless") and my lack of understand of it and its meaning that had me half-scared and half-depressed about the future of our universe. Those were probably the saddest few weeks of my life. I was maybe 15 years old, struggling to understand my existence, and for that brief period I thought that this wonderful universe we are a part of wasn't enough for me. What a sad thought that was, but looking back it's hard to believe how silly I was. I literally cry of happiness when I realize how wrong I was. This is where the quote in my signature comes from. I found it the day I realized how foolish I was being in thinking that my existence was pointless as a way of summarizing that part of my philosophical 'search' if you will.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." -Albert Einstein

I can't believe it took me WEEKS to figure out! I thought I was smart :lol:

..So guess who still hasn't watched the video, guys. :unsure:

@UtF: Whether the pointlessness of it all makes me sad or not (it doesn't; it makes everything so much more beautiful) is beside the point and doesn't change how the universe works. Any meaning you think your life has is one you create for yourself. Which is awesome,and yeah, live it up bro, but it's a bit unrealistic (and arrogant, but not in a bad way :P) for anyone to think that anything they do will have an impact once it's all over. The universe may be expanding, potentially infinitely, but our lives, the life of our solar system, and even the life of our galaxy is very limited. Even if we beat the odds and are able to galaxy hop and continue our existence *forever*, so what? What does that mean? Is our point really as basic as survival? That's why we're here, but it doesn't give us anywhere to go.

Wow... I'm impressed by the dew in the early morning on petals of flowers and you can't be impressed by the fact that we are made from stardust?? No wonder you're discontent and seek for higher power. :blink:

This part is from the same guy, different video (the video is titled "Spank Your Monkey")

"Most people can’t see, most simply don’t know enough of the truth, the facts, that they are energy made solid, consciousness informed from a harmony of natural forces, we might posses the only eloquent eyes that will ever exist, we might be the Universe’s poetry, it’s only chance to know itself, ever."

Brilliant! :D

Maybe that's our purpose, to constantly ask questions and seek for no less than the absolute truth!

You're right. I think Aristotle said A life of gratification and satisfaction is debase. A life of contemplation is fruitful .

How about this analogy,

When you and I were kids what did we do ?

We CONSTANTLY asked questions about everything. We wanted to, no, we HAD to learn.

Think back to our basic instincts, we had to learn certain things to survive.

Learning in every creature is natural. Learning in humans is only accelerated.

I WISH i am wrong when I say this, but I believe after death will be no different than before birth.

Then again, if you lived forever, wouldn't you get bored with life ? As Achilles said, the God's envy us for our mortality .

If I can find someone to grow old with, love them with all of my heart. Raise a family then I would embrace death and not fear it as I've lived and experienced every emotion a human can experience. And thats all I ask.