BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Family

rookie1ja

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It does state that the fisherman is an adult. It also states that the boat can only carry one adult or two children at a time, therefore, the fisherman can't be in the boat with any of them at the same time. The river is wide... and a "river", as stated in the original puzzle. Rivers tend to move very fast, and they are very cold generally. The thought of a whole family attempting to swim across a wide river (keeping in mind that two of them are children), when a perfectly capable boat is at hand is slightly out of the question. Besides, who doesn't like a good brain teaser when crossing a wide river with your children in a rickety old boat that can't hold more than one full grown adult at a time? Sign me up! :)

• 4 weeks later...

1. Both kids go across

2. On kid comes back

3. Adult goes across

4. Kid comes back

5. Both kids go across

6. They leave the fisherman to swim for his boat :D

• 2 weeks later...

its obviuos people the fisherman ties a rope to the boat the parents and the children go on the boat once they reach the other side the fisherman pulls the boat back

• 2 weeks later...

First go the children. Son comes back, and father goes on the other side to his daughter. Then daughter goes back to pick her brother up and they both go to the other side to the father. Son comes back to give the boat to mother who goes to the other side (to father and daughter). Daughter jumps in and goes to her brother so they can both return to their parents. Daughter gets off and son gives the boat back on the first side of the river to the fisherman, who goes on the other side. There the daughter jumps in and goes to her brother to take him back to parents where she (where the whole family meets at last) returns the boat to the fisherman. The boat crossed the river 13 times.

that was a good one lol

errrmmmmmm if it was me out there i would have got the FISHERMAN to use his fishing line tie it to the boat then dad rows across fisherman reels it back mum next same again then 2 kids reel back again boat made only 3 trips :D

Why can't they ask for 2,3 boats from fishermen rather than one boat? So they all can cross the river in lesser steps.

Edited by Vishmi

• 1 month later...
I was thinking that perhaps the fisherman hops ashore, lends the two children the boat and directs them to paddle upstream when they cross. Then, if they push the boat back out into the water, hopefully it float back downstream at the right angle and come back to the other side where they are. Then the adults could do the same... I guess that would take lots of math to get the angles and distances right, and you'd have to account for the speed of the river and it's effect on the boats crossing. Hoping the boat comes back really isn't that practical either =)

The correct answer is much better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems a little excessive. According to the explanation we could just keep both kids in the boat and have the adults row over and both kids row back.

Father - 2 kids

2 -kids row back

Mother - 2 kids

2-kids row back

Owner - 2 kids

No need for the kids to get in and out of the boat.

• 1 month later...

i think the "fisherman" is irrelevant. he lends him the family the boat. i don't take that as him having to accompany them on the tip across. the way i see it, there is a boat 2 kids and 1 adult that need to cross. only one adult or a total of two kids can cross at one time. it does not say that one kid cannot cross by him or herself. thus, as follows.

Two kids take the boat across

one kid gets out and the other kid goes back.

then the one kid gets out and the adult goes across

then, the adult gets out and the first kid gets back in and goes back

then both kids get in and cross.

voila the two kids and the adult are now across.

If there are two adults the same process would apply just a few more steps.

• 1 month later...

You only need 5 trips not 13

The sister will bring over the Mom and the brother to the other side (1 trip)

The sister will go back over to the other side (2 trips)

The sister will get the Fisherman and bring him over to the other side (3 trips)

The sister will go back to the other side (4 trips)

the sister will get the Father and bring him over to the other side (5 Trips)

There only 5 trips are needed and mabey six if the fisher leaving counts as a trip. B))

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys not get it yes the fisherman is an adult ....ok ...and to the first comment the riddle does work because the daughter got out of the boat and the brother came back for her....the fisherman could not take them over one at a time he is an adualt it said fits two children or one adault not and one adult the only way to get accross is for two children to cross or one adult...

• 3 weeks later...

Adult parents with two little children - a son and a daughter - came to a wide river. There was no bridge there. The only way to get to the other side was to ask an adult fisherman if he could lend them his boat. However, the boat could carry only one adult or two children. How does the family get to the other side and return the boat to the fisherman?

Pay attention to the original riddle, guys. It's not that hard. :mad:

Edited by IGOOGLELOVER

• 1 month later...

"However, the boat could carry only one adult or two children. "

In a mathematical sense, there is NO solution, since the boat could not carry one children! The correct phrase would be "... or maximum two children."

• 9 months later...