BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Family

rookie1ja

Family - Back to the River Crossing Puzzles

Parents with two children - a son and a daughter - came to a wide river. There was no bridge there. The only way to get to the other side was to ask a fisherman if he could lend them his boat. However, the boat could carry only one adult or two children. How does the family get to the other side and return the boat to the fisherman?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Family - solution

First go the children. Son comes back, and father goes on the other side to his daughter. Then daughter goes back to pick her brother up and they both go to the other side to the father. Son comes back to give the boat to mother who goes to the other side (to father and daughter). Daughter jumps in and goes to her brother so they can both return to their parents. Daughter gets off and son gives the boat back on the first side of the river to the fisherman, who goes on the other side. There the daughter jumps in and goes to her brother to take him back to parents where she (where the whole family meets at last) returns the boat to the fisherman. The boat crossed the river 13 times.

Adult parents with two little children - a son and a daughter - came to a wide river. There was no bridge there. The only way to get to the other side was to ask an adult fisherman if he could lend them his boat. However, the boat could carry only one adult or two children. How does the family get to the other side and return the boat to the fisherman?

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't matter if he's a child. The solution acts like he's an adult; if he was a child you could just skip two steps.

At one point, the family is on one side of the river with the boat and the fisherman is on the other side of the river. Now, the son takes the boat back to the fisherman and gets off. The fisherman leaves the son and crosses the river. The fisherman gets out and the daughter gets in. The daughter crosses the river, the son gets in with her, and they return to the far side. At this point, everybody is on the far side with the boat, so the fisherman takes his boat and leaves the family all standing on the far side.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know about you, but I'm not letting my "little" children row across a river all by themselves! I'll be swimming, with them in the boat, and take them across. Then, I'll go back and let my hubby swim, while I go across. Then, hubby can take the boat back to fisherman, while hubby swims across again. Whew! Three times across the river! And the parents are wet.

A heck of a lot better than 13, right!?

• 2 weeks later...

Boy and Girl cross

One comes back (lets say Boy)

Mom goes over

Girl comes back

Boy and Girl go over

Boy comes back

Dad goes over

Girl comes back

Boy and Girl go over

Boy comes back

Fisherman goes over

Girl comes back

Boy and girl go over and give fisherman his boat

Fisherman goes on his merry way.

2 kids cross, one brings the boat back, one parent crosses, the other kid brings the boat back, both kids cross again, one kid brings the boat back, other parent crosses, the other kid brings the boat back, both kids cross again, one kid brings the boat back, the fisherman crosses, the other kid brings the boat back, both kids cross again. the fisher man is on the side where the kids and parents are. he can take the boat. total trips 11.

Easy stuff, come up with something difficult

Yeah. the fishermen should have takin them over one at a time

Well, it did say the boat could hold only one adult, meaning no others - not even a kid - could fit.

If you ask me, that's a ridiculously small "boat". I prefer the 2 cannibals 3 missionaries puzzle. It's got drama.

1> Son + Daughter go and once return

2> one parent go and other child also return

3> again two children go and one will return

4> remaining parent go and child will return

5> both children go

• 4 weeks later...
Why didn't they all just swim across in the first place?

If you live in the Deep South, like me, any body of water can contain alligators.

Besides, its a logic puzzle. Don't you know that all bodies of water in logic puzzles are filled with sharks that have friggin' laser beams attached to their heads? They will kill you if you even touch the water.

Now that we got that out of our system, we can pretend it's a family of cannibals who just eat the fisherman (who also may happen to be a missionary) and save a few crossings of the river.

Incidentally, the fisherman's family were also committed to his cause and eventually led the whole tribe to Jesus, showing that mercy and forgiveness can transcend even the most heinous of crimes.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah but if the fisherman is a man the two adults woudn't have been able to go across. and how come only an adult could go in the boat. couldn't the a kid sit on one of the parents laps? but then how would they get the boat back, unless, one kid and one parent go in the boat, then the kid goes back and picks up the other parent and then goes back again to pick up the other kid, and then goes back again to pick up the fisherman and sit on his lap on the way across. of course this all stems off of if the kids could sit on the parents laps.

hello everybody

I donno y u guys r complicating d problem so much..

d way in wich i hav interpret says 2 children and 1 adults can b accomodated..

so 1st time : son, daughter and father goes

and son tak d boat back

2nd time: son and mother go

again son brings d boat back

finally : son comes wid d fisherman to d destination side and handovers his boat....

• 3 weeks later...

Daughter and son go first

son goes back and parent goes alone

parent stays while daughter returns boat

daughter picks up son and they make a second trip.

--now both children and one parent are on the other side.

son goes back and lets the other parent take the boat.

other parent travels alone

daughter goes back and gets the son

now the whole family is on one side and the fisherman is left behind

son goes over and gives the fisherman his boat

fisherman travels alone and returns to the other side

daughter goes to get the son

they travel back together

returning the boat to the adult or child fisherman

• 2 weeks later...

It all takes too long more than 13 steps in all. Here's a shorter 1.

1. Son and daughter cross

2. Son comes back

3. Dad goes across

4. Daughter comes back

5. Son and daughter cross

6. Son comes back

7. Fisherman crosses

8. Daughter comes back

9. Son and daughter cross

10. Son comes back

11. Mother crosses

12. Daughter comes back