BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

EDIT: Latest update

fabpig has stopped the destruction this time, but now the real game is afoot!

How would you fare as the evil mastermind? Pit your wits against the world and come up with a cunning code! See more

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous game, read this first if you don't know what's going on:

Greetings, people of the world, I bring good news!

For too long this planet has suffered with consumerism, pollution, global warming, bad hollywood scripts, energy crisis, and growing population leading to shortage of food and space. It's time somebody did something, and since we at OctopuppyCorp believe in proactive responsible action, we've decided to step up. We have taken control of the computer systems of all the world's armed forces, and will now proceed to obliterate the United States of America with a massive nuclear stike. Now don't worry, people of the USA, there is no cause for alarm. In order to assist with your orderly evacuation, we will only destroy one state at a time. I think it best that I don't tell you which states in advance so as not to cause panic locally.

The world's nuclear missiles are now controlled by our distributed computer system which I, the CEO of OctopuppyCorp, will command remotely from my secret island base. Don't think that just because you can also transmit commands to the system, this will help you in any way. The system accepts 51 commands, 50 of which are the name of the US state to obliterate. The other command is "ABORT" which shuts down the system completely. Frankly I can't remember why I put that in there, well anyway, it's no use to you because each command has its own unique password. I understand the US govenment is offering a huge reward to whoever can guess the password for "ABORT", but since all passwords are 8 character alphanumeric strings, you have no hope!

Commands and passwords are all uppercase.

ABORT

ALABAMA

ALASKA

ARIZONA

ARKANSAS

CALIFORNIA

COLORADO

CONNECTICUT

DELAWARE

FLORIDA

GEORGIA

HAWAII

IDAHO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

IOWA

KANSAS

KENTUCKY

LOUISIANA

MAINE

MARYLAND

MASSACHUSETTS

MICHIGAN

MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

MISSOURI

MONTANA

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

NEWHAMPSHIRE

NEWJERSEY

NEWMEXICO

NEWYORK

NORTHCAROLINA

NORTHDAKOTA

OHIO

OKLAHOMA

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

RHODEISLAND

SOUTHCAROLINA

SOUTHDAKOTA

TENNESSEE

TEXAS

UTAH

VERMONT

VIRGINIA

WASHINGTON

WESTVIRGINIA

WISCONSIN

WYOMING

Also don't bother trying to find the passwords written down anywhere. I know 51 passwords is too much to remember, but writing them down wouldn't suit my hectic lifestyle and paranoid megalomaniac personality. I devised a cunning hashing algorithm, so that each password is derived from the command it authorizes. It's simple enough that I can do it in my head in just a few seconds, without memorizing any big lookup tables. I've probably said too much, since every time I destroy a state you will be able to intercept the command (name of state) and accompanying password. Still, my hashing algorithm is so clever you will never figure it out!

The winner of the game will be:

ME!!! hahaha

But in the unlikely event that somebody guesses the password to "ABORT" it will be the first person to do so.

Anyone can join in at any time, but each player can only make one guess for every state that I destroy.

You may make suggestions as to which state I should obliterate next, if you think it will help your futile attempts to thwart me. Or if you just don't like the place much. We at OctopuppyCorp pride ourselves on listening to our client base and taking suggestions on board. Thank you for your time.

Now, what have I forgotten? Oh yes, the laugh...

heh heh, heh heh hahaha, ahaha, MWUHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Commands sent:

Command: CALIFORNIA

Password: JOQPGJMZ

Command: DELAWARE

Password: FQBXZKDE

Command: ALASKA

Password: LTZKBZJR

Command: TEXAS

Password: TZWDSRBY

Command: ALABAMA

Password: NZCZKBZL

Command: TENNESSEE

Password: FFTTFOOF

Command: IDAHO

Password: IZEJNGBC

Command: ARIZONA

Password: ONYHSZBO

Command: HAWAII

Password: JJZVBIJJ

Command: MAINE

Password: FOJZLDMH

Command: IOWA

Password: XNHBXNHB

Command: UTAH

Password: IZSTGBUV

Command: INDIANA

Password: OZHEOJZM

Command: OHIO

Password: JINPJINP

Command: LOUISIANA

Password: OZHRHTPM

Command: KENTUCKY

Password: ZLDVUOFL

Command: VERMONT

Password: UONLSFWU

Command: MARYLAND

Password: OZKXSZLE

Command: MICHIGAN

Password: OZFHGBHL

Command: FLORIDA

Password: JQPMGZEJ

Command: NEBRASKA

Password: LTZSADMB

Command: COLORADO

Password: MNBPCBQP

Command: OREGON

Password: ONFDSNMP

Command: NEWMEXICO

Password: DJYFNXFO

Command: ILLINOIS

Password: TJNMHKKH

Command: ABORT

Password: UQPABUQP

Thwarted by fabpig!

It's not a one-off puzzle, but a game of guess the hashing algorithm, which can be repeated for as many algorithms as people can think up. I'm hosting it for now but others can step in later. At that point it may be necessary to give more specific rules about what kind of algorithms are allowed, so they aren't ridiculously difficult. The key attribute is that you can do it quickly in your head, which limits the complexity.

• Answers 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yeah, where's the problem?

This has since become a sacrosanct touchstone of New Zealand foreign policy' date=' although OctopuppyCorp is exempt from such precautions due to undisclosed circumstancse and a theorized political alliance between the enemies of the USA. The enemy of our enemy is our friend, after all.[/quote']

Wow, that took Wikipedia literally seconds to remove.

Edited by Izzy

Wow, that took Wikipedia literally seconds to remove.
Lol, the main thing is it was there. All unauthorised mentioning of OctopuppyCorp on the internet is automatically detected and removed by our thought police. Regrettably that article was read by a few people but we have tracked them down and now none of them can remember anything from the last 5 years.

SNCBSQPA
Not even close!

EHSNKGZC
Sorry, no, but Florida's a good one so I'll do that next. For now,

Command: MICHIGAN

Password: OZFHGBHL

Sorry about the cool people Izzy, but they've probably packed up and gone to New Zealand by now.

Hi....I noticed these things....

1- in all codes there is no letter A.

2- if we see the code for TENNESSEE is ( FFTTFOOF ),if we beginn from E backwards...the letter after E is F

so the code begins with double F. then we have double S,and the letter after S is T

the code continues with double T......and so on,Ignoring the first letter T.

may be this may help finding the code...

2- if we see the code for TENNESSEE is ( FFTTFOOF ),if we beginn from E backwards...the letter after E is F

so the code begins with double F. then we have double S,and the letter after S is T

Yes, the algorithm is two-fold (or so it seems). The command is reversed (with a bit of tweaking that I haven't figured out) and then each letter is shifted to the one before or the one after it (in some manner I've yet to determine). The reason there is no A has to do in part with the fact that there are only two Bs and one Z in the entire listing of US states, so there are only three cases where an A might appear. In Alabama, the B changed to a C and in Arizona, the Z changed to a Y. Nebraska is the only one which hasn't been tried yet.

I guess you've nuked all around the edges (and Michigan and Florida just weren't cool :angry: ), so might as well hit the dead center, Nebraska, emphasis on dead. :D

and I can also add this,,,see the code for KENTUCKY it is ( ZLDVUOFL ),depending on my above observation,

beginning from Y...( after Y is Z )and the code beginns with Z. then K...and the latter after K is L.

I hope that will help.

he also ignore the Vowels .

I guess you've nuked all around the edges (and Michigan and Florida just weren't cool :angry: ), so might as well hit the dead center, Nebraska, emphasis on dead. :D
I am but a humble servant, doing requests. As requested...

Command: NEBRASKA

Password: LTZSADMB

The BeeDee PeeDee chief and myself have got our heads together and have come up with (as I'm sure the rest of you have):

The password is based on the reverse spelling of the state name, repeated if less than 8 chars fter leading deductions. (either up or down 1 char in the alphabet)

When reversed, leading A's, O's and D's are ignored. So far no others.

In the case of Florida, both the leading A and D are ignored.

For that reason, I'm requesting COLORADO.

We must stop this insane puppy.

But he's so cute.

Edited by fabpig

For that reason, I'm requesting COLORADO.
Ooh, good one!

Command: COLORADO

Password: MNBPCBQP

At this rate I have serious doubts whether I'll make it to the halfway point. I might have to step up the pace a bit!

I agree with this. Though, he hasn't hit the state I actually care about, yet, so I'm not too upset over the losses. Texas was a reasonable trade-off.

I agree with this. Though, he hasn't hit the state I actually care about, yet, so I'm not too upset over the losses. Texas was a reasonable trade-off.
Intriguing, let me know when I do! I'm at the halfway point so the odds are shortening...

Command: ILLINOIS

Password: TJNMHKKH

UQNAZSSP

Already been tried... :(

Here's a list of all the ones that seem to be on the right track (I may be missing a couple):

USPCBSSP

UQPASSSP

UQPAZSSP

UQPABSSN

USPCBSQN

UQPCZSSN

USPCZSQN

UQPAZSQN

UQNAZSSP

Just guessing randomly based on the pattern upon which we seem to have settled, there are 128 possible combinations, so it'll take a while before we hit it if we just work systematically...longer if we repeat ourselves. :P