BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Just came across this site and thought i would add something.(wrote it as best as i could remember)

One dark storm night, and old lady was knitting by the fire when she heard a strange noise outside. She went to her door and found a kitten at her doorstep drenched to the bone. She look on its leather collar and saw the cat had no name. She couldn't leave it outside so she brought it into the house and dried the cat off. Afterwards she put the cat on a blanket in front of the fire to warm up. She left the cat there as she went into the kitchen to fix herself dinner. When she was done she went to go check on the kitten and saw it was dead. How did the kitten die?

25 answers to this question

Just came across this site and thought i would add something.(wrote it as best as i could remember)

One dark storm night, and old lady was knitting by the fire when she heard a strange noise outside. She went to her door and found a kitten at her doorstep drenched to the bone. She look on its leather collar and saw the cat had no name. She couldn't leave it outside so she brought it into the house and dried the cat off. Afterwards she put the cat on a blanket in front of the fire to warm up. She left the cat there as she went into the kitchen to fix herself dinner. When she was done she went to go check on the kitten and saw it was dead. How did the kitten die?

I think the cat was strangled by the leather collar. Since both cat and collar was dripping wet, when she sat the cat in front of fire, the heat caused the wet leather collar to shrink/ tighten, and it probably didn't help that the cat's hair expanded as it was drying. Yikes, poor kitty :-(

I think there is a misconception here about the leather drying thing. If the cat was happily wearing the leather collar before it was wet, then after shrinking it would return to it's normal size, so the only danger would be in losing it off the cat's neck when wet.

to magician..i have no clue what you are trying to say

to the rest:

OK..so only nebulous found some truth in this riddle..after reading his "non-spoilered" comment on all of the "correct" answers, i must agree that though the collar would shrink as the fire dries it out, it would only return to it's original size..the only way, that this would have any merit, is if the collar were made of fresh leather..the leather would at most be slightly tanned..leather only shrinks a certain amount when drying..after being tanned and "processed", it may get wet and expand, but when it shrinks, it should be the same size as when put on the kitten

Now, had she wrapped the kitten in a wool blanket this may be possible if the kitten got enough water on the blanket

But, really, the best way for this to work out is if the kitten were wearing a wool sweater. The wool sweater, after getting wet, and being dried with warm heat, would have shrunk and constricted the kitten's chest, in turn causing the kitten to suffocate. The process would have taken a several minutes and the kitten would most likely have started panicking after the sweater started to constrict and begun trying to rip it off.

:ph34r: Now, that i have argued with myself enough and posted all of said argument, the voices in my head are upset at me and reminding me, that even this would not work out.:duh: Henceforth, the blanket must have burned for the kitten to die. So yeah. Take that voices.-_-

Oh, and as a side note to my other solution, non-preshrunk cotton, could possibly do the same thing as wool.

hehe..The voices are happy ^_^

The assumption is that the kitten is drenched by the rain. Though it states that it's a stormy night it doesn't say she's drenched by the down pour (rain). Maybe it's something else? Maybe after drying she ignited being close to the open flames because she’s drenched in some type of accelerant?

I think there is a misconception here about the leather drying thing. If the cat was happily wearing the leather collar before it was wet, then after shrinking it would return to it's normal size, so the only danger would be in losing it off the cat's neck when wet.

that may be true, i was just passing along one i heard.

i must agree that though the collar would shrink as the fire dries it out, it would only return to it's original size..the only way, that this would have any merit, is if the collar were made of fresh leather..the leather would at most be slightly tanned..leather only shrinks a certain amount when drying..after being tanned and "processed", it may get wet and expand, but when it shrinks, it should be the same size as when put on the kitten

I see... were you a jury member at OJ's trial by any chance? Because I've owned gloves that no longer fit after they dried out.

that may be true, i was just passing along one i heard.

You are right that there is a misconception..but, it is on your part...leather gloves do not shrink back to normal size.....they shrink alot more....

Please change it to my anwser, instead! :o

:wub:

The old lady couldn't see well in the rain and caught the nametag by the fire. It's name was Dead. She took off the collar (it must have been backward)and saw it when she put it back on! =) B)