BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

"Okay." The police officer says. "Three weeks ago, a man was murdered. We suspected someone in the military almost immediately because of the presicion with which this murder was executed. We have confirmed this fact." He looks accusingly at the three men lined up in front of him, all muscular and a good head taller than him. "We have narrowed down the culprit to one of you three. At the time of the crime, what were you doing?" The first man, a member of Delta Force, said "I was on a mission in Afghanistan, investigating a report of nuclear weapons." The second man, a Navy SEAL, said "I was in Iraq, rescuing an al-Qaida hostage." The third man, a Green Beret, says "I was in Sudan, countering a guerilla campaign there." The police officed promptly handcuffed the murderer and took him into custody. Who was it, and how do you know?

Note: all of the military records say all thre men were on duty. One of these, of course, is wrong.

Edited by NickFleming

Navy SEAL in Iraq? Sounds like a fish out of water.

They've got rivers, and do you think they'd just have SEALS sit out in a purely land-based conflict?

I suspect the member of Delta Force. While Pakistan definitely has a nuclear program, I believe Afghanistan isn't even close.

He was investigating claims of a nuclear program

A member of any of those special forces units would provide a police officer details about what they were doing!

Probably not, but lets just say for this riddle they would. However, your answer does have to do a little with the answer.

Green Beret. Green Berets do not "counter guerilla campaigns", then train guerillas for counter government missions

Green beret simply shows that they are a Special Forces officer, and since most Middle Eastern conflicts are guerilla,I'm fairly sure they do.

Edited by NickFleming

[

The SEAL... because he is rescuing an al-Qaida hostage.

Oh sorry should've clarified that. By al-Qaida hostage I meant someone taken hostage by al-Qaida. Wait, al-Qaida does take hostages, right? If not, sorry again, I was worried something like that would happen.

The missions aren't important.

;)
Edited by NickFleming

:thumbsup:

[

Oh sorry should've clarified that. By al-Qaida hostage I meant someone taken hostage by al-Qaida. Wait, al-Qaida does take hostages, right? If not, sorry again, I was worried something like that would happen.

The missions aren't important.

;)

I thought that line was supposed to have a double meaning leading to the anwser. Who knows what they do but I thought the double meaning is where the answer could be found.

I'll keep thinking. :thumbsup:

I think it's the one form delta force because they don't do international stuff. I'm not really sure cause I'm not from the USA

They do international. They did something in Lima, Peru. I'm just gonna plain post hint now so you don't have choice whether or not to see it: don't focus on the mission, I just put that in there to make the puzzle better. Its a distracter. Think about the one other thing thats different between them. If no one gets it within 45 minutes I'll post answer.

Is that it's the Delta Force guy. They're typically trained as tactical strike forces, and would not be used to investigate anything.

Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Delta was deployed during Desert Storm to the region and tasked with a number of responsibilities. These include supporting regular Army units that were providing close protection detail for General Norman Schwarzkopf in Saudi Arabia. Army relations' officers tried to play down Schwarzkopf's growing number of bodyguards. Delta was also tasked with hunting for SCUD missiles alongside the British Special Air Service and other coalition Special Forces.

Operation Desert shield/storm begs to differ ;)

Edited by NickFleming

The Force Recon Marine that no one saw sneaking up on the other dupes.

Frankly I'm surprised the SEAL could string two words together. Let alone speak in complete sentences.

Now I think that the seals are the odd ones out because i just searched all three of them on wiki and and only the seals are part of the navy and the emblems of green berets and delta force both say "airborne" and look very similar

I made a little mistake in question.

Sorry. But here's the

Oh my gosh I can't believe I did this, I slightly misphrased question. If you are in Delta Force, you don't tell anyone that. If you are in SEALS or Green Beret, you can. But only Delta Force people knows who are in Delta Force. What I forgot to do was phrase the man mentioning he was in Delta Force, because I slightly rephrased my wording, and must've accidentally changed that.

Hey, sorry little mistake. I noticed that there really hadn't been any puzzles recently, and I was trying really hard to come up with one to benefit my fellow Brain Denizens. I messed it up, and I couldn't take it back. I apologize for any inconvenience, but it happens. EDIT: whoa post I was replying to just got deleted. But above still applies.

Edited by NickFleming

I still don't get. So he wasn't Delta Force because he didn't know about the secrecy thing? What if he was Delta force but decided to tell the truth to get away from a murder he didn't commit? For the officer to narrow it down to them, he would probably need to know what military force each one belonged to, right? So he knew the man was military, but not Delta Force, and thus knew he was lying? If members of the Delta Force are to allowed to reveal that, what do they say when someone asks? That they're in the regular air force? There are so many questions :wacko:

I think it's the one form delta force because they don't do international stuff. I'm not really sure cause I'm not from the USA

Actually, they do. Delta Force was part of the Iran hostage rescue in 1979.

Great riddle, Nick!

Navy SEAL. The puzzle describes all three men as a head taller than the police officer. The man's height would restrict him from duty with the SEALs, but not so for the Green Beret and the member of Delta Force.