BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Okay, I had this idea for a cure for cancer, which it turns out other people have recently had. I was learning about viruses in science, and viruses only target SPECIFIC kinds of cells. So, could specified cell be a certain kind of cancerous cell, or even cancerous cells in general? Theoretically, yes. Here's a webpage on it, though I may be linking you to page 3

Virus cure

Lol this is making me think of I am Legend.

I think it can....the only glitch in this is that there should be a way to modify DNA to mutate to neutralise.....:D

Or....maybe if we modify RNA to sort of 'cooperate' with DNA (no, not translation or transcription, etc.).....then it could do the job!!! :D

Right, since bacteria and viruses can usually mutate quickly without our provocation, we would have to create a strain of the virus and then do something to ensure that it couldn't mutate further on its own.

Slightly :offtopic: : That's the premise behind the remake of "I am Legend" starring Will Smith. They invent a mutated virus that "cures" cancer, but after a number of people are treated, they start to change into these vampire-like monsters and the disease becomes contagious. It also becomes infectious to other animals like rats and dogs. :rolleyes: It seems far more likely that any mutations to a "Cancer-curing virus" would probably just end up killing the host than anything so dramatic.

Oh, goodness!!! :duh: Just because the cure in the movie mutated the population, doesn't mean it's gonna happen in real life! :P

It's just a thought.....and we can have a backup.....we could 'create' a stop codon in case it gets 'deadly'.....:D

As far as I know, the best way to be immune to cancer and diseases is to eat, drink and live healthy....get a bit dirty sometimes, and not to be too clean; stop using too much chemicals in your life.....and you're guaranteed to live long.....go upto 100 yrs easily.....:D

*Sadly, this century has brought more and more troubles; although technology has improved, it has caused sedentary lifestyle....leading to heavy diseases.....:( (incomplete statement...)

i hope they can find a cure ofr cancer. after watching all of the sadness and devestation in my family recently... my aunt died from canceer not to long ago... breast cancer progressed into bone cancer, which progressed into a brain tumor... she started feeling better but then contracted pneumonia... at least she cant feel the pain any longer... and, yes, i am crying as i type this. I just dont want other people to have to go through what my family went through, but i know i cant help much... :( R.I.P. Lynda Jo Anderson We miss you sooo much!!!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure she's in a better place, wherever that may be.

Makes you realize how fragile all of this is.

I hope you have a great thanksgiving. And if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving (I know some people on here are outside of the US), then have a great day. ^_^

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure she's in a better place, wherever that may be.

Makes you realize how fragile all of this is.

I hope you have a great thanksgiving. And if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving (I know some people on here are outside of the US), then have a great day. ^_^

Thanks gvg. I had a great thanksgiving and I too believe that she is in a better place. Hope you had a nice day today too. ^_^

Condolences to you and your family.

Lost an aunt and a grandmother in last 2 years to this horrible disease. I had to make the choice of going out to see my grandma before she died or wait and go to the funeral. (She lives on opposite side of the country) I chose to see her one last time, Tough to see her like that, even worse to have to bring my mom back home knowing the she would never see her mother alive again.

Haven't contributed to this thread as I know next to nothing about medicine but I sincerely hope cancer will be beaten soon.

i haven't been able to contribute also seeing as how i don't know anything about medicine either. My deepest regards to your family too. it is sad what cancer can do to a family. I hope they find a cure soon so that not many others will have to suffer from this disease.

thank you too all of you. let us just hope thhey find a cure as soon as possible.

Edited by buttnessa42