BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

And old puzzle says that a chemist found that a certain chemical reaction

took 80 minutes when he wore a jacket. When he was not wearing a jacket

the same reaction always took an hour and 20 minutes.

Can you think of an explanation for this?

Of course you can; so that's not the question being asked here.

Go ahead and blurt it out if you like; but don't expect any credit. :dry:

Here's today's puzzle:

In a related study, the chemist found that a different chemical reaction

took 85 minutes when he wore his jacket. When he did not wear his jacket

the same reaction always took an hour and 15 minutes.

Can you think of an explanation for this? B))

6 answers to this question

After a bit of work I've come to the following startling conclusion:

80 minuts = 1 hour 20 minutes!!

I came by this answer almost by accident. I wrote 2 different programs. One to simulate an 80 minute reaction and another to simulate a 1 hour 20 minute reaction. I wasn't really getting anywhere when I decided, on a whim, to run the programs simultaneously. I was a little surprised when they finished at the same time but my keen mind could tell it was significant. I ran the simulations several more times (with and without my jacket) and plotted the results. I was able to come up with the following formula:

x hours y minutes = 60x + y minutes

I know, I know I'm pretty much a genius. But wait! Stop filling out that Nobel Prize nomination for a second. I feel I should tell you that I spared a moment to apply my formula on Part B of the riddle but no solution was immediately apparent. But I figure I can let lesser minds build on my work from Part A to solve that one. (You may now resume filling out that nomination).

I hadn't seen the "an hour and" in neither of the puzzles until I saw what Tuckleton wrote. My mind likes to play tricks on me like this. Anyway, could it be that the light is reflecting on his jacket into the reaction and making it faster? I have a feeling it's a more obvious answer though...

Possible Answer

The reaction could be a biological one that is happening inside him. When he wares his jacket his core temperature increases and so whatever the reaction is inside of him increases. I don't do biology or chemistry so I don't know what this could be.

Another possible answer

The chemist is trying to pick up women in a bar. With his Gucci jacket, it takes an average of 85 minutes before women are fed up and slap him. Without his expensive jacket, it only takes 1 hour and 15 minutes before the same event.

Hugo found the answer I had in mind and gets the coveted bonanova Gold Star: post-1048-028002900 1280429091.gif

Tuckleton and bushindo get Honorable Mention for great out-of-box humor. :dry:

Thanks all! ;)

Note to Tuckleton: I visted Stockholm recently and actually saw the building where Nobel Prizes are awarded. Sadly, I did not think to pick up your nomination form.