BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Ms Brown says: "I have many brothers and sisters. I am the 6th child and the number of my brothers is at least as large as the number of my sisters." Her younger brother added: "And I have at least twice as many sisters and brothers." How many boys and girls are there in the Brown family?

5 answers to this question

4 girls, 3 boys

Ms. Brown has 2 older brothers, 1 younger brother (the one talking) and 3 older sisters. Therefore Ms. Brown has at least as many brothers as sisters (3 brothers and 3 sisters), And her younger brother has twice as many sisters as brothers (4 sisters and 2 brothers.

Visually:

G,G,G,B,B,G (Ms. Brown),B (Her younger brother)

Edited by CC>>Inferno

7 children in the family. 4 girls, 3 boys.

3 of the girls and 2 of the boys are older than Ms. Brown making her the 6th child and she has 1 younger brother.

Ms. Brown says she has at least as many brothers as sisters (B >/= S) so she has 3 of each (3>/=3)

The youngest says he has 2x as many siters as brothers (2B=S) so he has 4 sisters and 2 brothers. (2x2=4)

We can deduce from the beginning of the third sentence, "Her younger brother added:", that she only had one brother that was younger. As Ms Brown informs us that she is the sixth child and the number of brothers she has is greater or equal to the number of sisters she has, at least two of the older siblings are her brothers, and the other three elder siblings can each be either a brother or sister.

From her younger brother's statement* that he has twice the number of sisters as brothers, we can deduce that the sexes of the three unknown elder siblings would require all three to be sisters with no additional siblings. Therefore, there are three boys and four girls.

*The second and should be the word as in the statement "And I have at least twice as many sisters and brothers."